What's With The Name?

Tools    

A lot of us [well, some of us] have names that differ to our actual names here on MoFo. The other day Toose gave us the meaning of his, and it got me wondering. Why the alias that we have? Why any other nicknames we may have been given, and why?

Here's my list of both Internet Aliases, and nicknames:

The Silver Bullet
This is my main one. My favorite film is Snatch and in that film you have two characters with "Bullet" in the name -- Bullet Tooth Tony and Boris the Bullet Dodger [Boris the Blade]. I decided that I'd nickname myself with this quirk -- and so I did. Now a lot more people actually call me SB or Silver Bullet than you'd think, especially teachers. Smashed [ http://www.smashed-theplay.com ] really confirmed it, because me and the director [a teacher, and one of my best friends] put Matt "The Silver Bullet" Clayfield in all the programs.

The ClayMan
This one's pretty old. I don't know why people still call me this [probably because my MSN adress is [email protected]] but I still get it a bit. This one was sort of my choice too, I guess, though not as much. My first little short film I made with my friend and me made it under the banner of ClayMan Productions -- Clay from my last name and Man from his [Maney]. So yeah.

Felix
I get this one a bit still also, and I still call myself Felix on occasions. I'm a Catholic and to make my Grandma happy [it didn't both me much] I did my confirmation, which is sort of initiation into the Church. I chose the name of a Saint [as is customary] and as a joke, sort of, I chose Saint Felix. My alias for nearly a year was Felix.

MattL's
This is the only one I've never used on the Internet and I had no part in coming up with. When I was about ten I was in a friend's pool and the little girl was wanting to jump in, but she wanted someone to catch her and so they're all going "Matt'll catch you! Matt'll catch you!" and she jumped in and I caught her and she got out and wanted to jump in again and they're all going 'Matt'll catch you!! Matt'll catch you!!" and she said "I don't want Matt'll to catch me this time." This was then used by everyone and my Mum told the story to all. It developed the S I don't know how. But it did.

I'm spent.
What about you?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, mine was originally SpdRcr meaning Speed Racer. A former member dubbed me Spud and the name stuck.

I only went by Speed Racer simply because, well I drive like I'm in a race, and I drive fast.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Plus you've always got a beenie-wearin' monkey in your trunk.

William Holden's character in Peckinpah's masterpiece The Wild Bunch (1969) is Pike Bishop.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

well, aside from my "oh so unique screen name" being so usefull in the world of food......hamburger pattie, beef pattie, mint pattie, peppermint pattie..............it just seems to sing, doesn't it? so melliflous. ............

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The only problem with keeping a beanie-wearin' monkey in my trunk is that, I don't have a trunk. I drive a truck. So I guess you could say I have a beanie-wearin monkey in my TRUCK.

Wow, now I know this site has indeed been around the block a few times: we're starting to run out of ideas for threads...we've batted around, and we're back at the top of the order. Behold, another thread on this same subject...only much, much older.

http://www.movieforums.net/showthread.php?threadid=532

Anyway, I think I like this new one better.

The meaning of my username: it stems from my old baseball site -- which was essentially the first "real" site I ever made. "TWT" is an acronym for the site's eventual name, "The Warning Track." "Commish" is obviously short for "Commissioner." See, instead of referring to myself as the "owner" of the site, I went with "Commissioner" of the site as a half-joke, seeing as how MLB doesn't have an Owner/President/CEO, but a Commissioner instead. I used the phrase "TWTCommish" early on as an AIM screen name, and it sort of stuck.

I started using it on various forums, and, well, I'm still using it (obviously). To be honest, I'd like to change it, but seeing as how I've got what must be at LEAST 13,000 posts on various forums over the Internet under this username, it's really too late to go back...it's not worth the effort of becoming known under that new name. Too many people know me by this name, even if it is outdated. Ironically, I switched my AIM screen name to "WarningTrack" somewhat early on, and still use it. Freaky.

in seventh grade gundam wing was really popular and one of the giant robots was named "mecuryius" but these two anime freaks thought it was mecurdius and they gave me and my friends all these anime names and they called me that, so it stuck.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Sorry about rehashing the thread, bit of an accident -- i'm still relativley new.

How many BB's are you a member of TWT?

Dozens, I'd imagine...I only frequent a few, though. I've got nearly 5,000 here (keep in mind that the 4,000+ do not count my posts in the "Intermission" forum). I've got something like 5,300 on SitePointForums.com, too. Been a member there for over 2 years...though I don't post as regularly as I used to. I've got a few hundred on the eDevCafe Forums, too...though, again, my post count there is lower than my actual post total.

Don't our posts get counted in here? Never noticed that, although I think it's a good idea.

I've been a member of only a few places. I've been a member here for quite a while now, although sometimes I gotta say I still feel entirely like a Newbie, other times like an old hand. I originally came to post once about Racism in Animated films [I was doing a project on Disney, and in a search the Best Animated Film thread came up]. Why'd I stay? I don't really know. I think it was the people, moreso than the content which is weird. Sades was the most welcoming member of any board I've ever been a member of. Holden pissed me off, until I realised that was the point, and I used to fight with you [T] something chronic, until I realised that was the point. It's been fun.

I'm also a member of Indie Film North, where I'm a mod. The thing with that place is, it took me three goes on Indie Filmmaking Boards to get it right. The first I was a member of closed, the second went corrupt and when me and five others found out the crap the admin was pulling [he was two members, one which he used to absoloutley pay out and treat the members he hated like dirt -- we first started to catch on when this behavior was never frowned upon, and the meber was never booted]. The five of us tried to make our own site, but we got bored, basically, and wound up at IFN. I was a mod within two months, I think and now I'm probably the third most prolific poster. It's nowhere near as big as this place, but I love it. Basically, the other two boards were "How Not To Run A Bulletin Board" and I have so much archived posts and letters and e-mails that would make you thank God, Allah, Bhudda -- all of them, for MoFo [or IFN!].

And I'm done.

quite trying to BullSh!t us your named after that motor power wheelchair called The Silver Bullet feauted in the movie by same name.

Um, no.

Although my best friend's sister's car is named The Silver Bullet too. They thought I was stealing the name of this rusty grey car.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world.

I always feared "Silver Bullet" referred to a dependancy on Coors Beer. I'm glad to find out otherwise.

And just for anyone so out of it they don't know, HERE is a clue as to whom L.B. Jeffries really is.

gone
Back in the day...I used to play Quake Multiplayer (when was this 95? 96?)

They used to have clans - I was with Reservoir Dogs, all colours were taken so Mr.Silver was mine But then the clan died and I got picked up by another - some other gangster one - you had Tony Montana, Don Corleone, I had just seen goodfellas...sooo...(what a hard one to figure out!) But at the same time everyone was called goodfella, and thanks to my bad spelling goodf3lla it became... and been so ever since...how sad!

I always thought...The Silver Bullet....Werewolf....damn, I'll still think of you as a werewolf though.

You've all had some pretty screwed up ideas of what my name means haven't you?

Silver, i , too, thought of the werewolf.............and worried, as did holden, that you were a Coors drinker (not really ).

Mercurdius- i love your screen name.

Holden, i didn't know where your's came from, but it is very Hollywood. not that you're "Hollywood", but it definitely seems to fit you.

Spud, i liked speedracer.........but now could never think of you as anything but Spud.

LBJ- i didn't know your's came from Rear Window- it's one of my all time favorite flics.

What about a werewolf?
I don't get it.

Call me culturally inept, but "Wha?"

You guys will never guess where I thought of my name.