Hellboy II: The Golden Army

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Saw it over the weekend, but computer problems and other distractions held me up and I just got around to writing a review today. Was pretty underwhelmed with the film, to be honest with you. It was a perfectly pleasant little summer diversion, but not much, at least for me.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Describing Hellboy II: The Golden Army as a "comic book movie" feels like a bit of a misnomer. Technically, it is adapted from a series of comic books, but most such movies feel they have to make a token effort to explain the amazing things they depict. Peter Parker was bitten by a genetically-enhanced spider in Spider-Man. The X-Men are the byproduct of an evolutionary leap. But Hellboy II couldn't care less about explaining what takes place. While most comic book adaptations work to suspend your disbelief, director Guillermo del Toro happily sends it into a free fall.

Hellboy II is, of course, a sequel to 2004's Hellboy. The titular character (played by Ron Perlman, in a classic "nobody else could have played this character" role) came to our world as an infant, when a group of Nazi occultists opened a portal to the Underworld during WWII. He found his way into the arms of Professor Bruttenholm (John Hurt), who raised him to be a bit more sympathetic towards mankind than you would expect a demon to be.

Now grown up, Hellboy disposes of paranormal threats as part of a secret government agency along with a team of other walking phenomena. They are, in descending order of weirdness: Abe Sapien (a fishlike empath; Doug Jones), newcomer Johan Strauss (a mist like substance with a thick German brogue; Seth MacFarlane), and his cohabitating pyrokinetic girlfriend Liz Sherman (Selma Blair).

In Hellboy II, Hellboy and his team aren't just dueling the occasional occult baddie; they're working their way through an endless supply of fighting folklore. The only creatures we get to see up close are the ones Hellboy and his team stop to battle.

It is difficult to review Hellboy II as an actual film, because it is always apparent that we are meant to gawk at its visuals. We marvel at the extraordinary figures and set pieces, sometimes because marveling at them is all there is to do. There is a threadbare story about an ancient truce between our world and the mythical world, and an angry prince who wishes to summon a "Golden Army" of indestructible warriors. Apparently nobody told him that gold is one of the softest metals on the periodic table of elements.

Though the plot is thin, some of the creature designs are genuinely fascinating. Chief among them are the "tooth fairies": small, insect-like creatures with wings like dragonflies, legs like crustaceans, and mouths like wood chippers. Many of the character designs are on display simultaneously in the "Troll Market," an underground bazaar for mythical creatures that conjures memories of Mos Eisley.

There are a few curve balls in the plot, and one terrifically funny scene where Hellboy and Abe try to drown their women problems away. Other than that the film procedes from one visual stimulation to the next. Character development is fairly sparse, as Hellboy struggles with the same issues of alienation that he did in the first film, with only marginal resolution.

If you want eye candy, you'll find it here, but don't look for a main course. In a film like this, creativity is its own end, in the same vein as Alice in Wonderland. Hellboy, of course, would be Alice, though I admit I would never say so to his face.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I felt that the first was average as well. It seems that both films seem to have big aspirations, but they never quite reach it.

Suspect's Reviews

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
My review here

I loved it more than Yoda.

I felt that the first was average as well. It seems that both films seem to have big aspirations, but they never quite reach it.
I agree.
That's how I saw the movies as well.

Me I quite enjoyed this. Seeing this back in December of 2007 in California at Universal, I thought it was much better than the first. Ron Perlman is excellent as the main character and these pictures are absolutely entertaining. Hellboy is one of my favorite comic book film franchises, and I hope there is a third one down the line.

You ready? You look ready.
Both of the films are average, IMO. I was expecting more out of the second one that I actually got, which was disappointing.

Hellboy -

Hellboy 2 -
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Me I quite enjoyed this. Seeing this back in December of 2007 in California at Universal, I thought it was much better than the first.
Er, you saw this film 8 months before it was released? The film didn't even finish shooting until late November, so that'd be a pretty incredible turn around in editing, and I can't imagine that any of the effects would have been present, either.

I am not a huge Hellboy fan, I though the first was okay. I just couldn't really get into the second, all I could think about was seeing the Dark Knight. To me, the second is essentially more of the same, not a knock just an observation.

...uh the post is up there...

Er, you saw this film 8 months before it was released? The film didn't even finish shooting until late November, so that'd be a pretty incredible turn around in editing, and I can't imagine that any of the effects would have been present, either.
I saw it December 30th of last year at Universal. The complete and final film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
So the film was completed....final.....and they wait 7 months to bring it out in theatres???

I' sure they were re-cuts and cra, so you could not have seen the complete and final film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
One thing's for sure. They scheduled it to play in the middle of summer on a specific date where they had a chance to win the weekend box office, and it turned out to win that weekend. So, no matter when it was done, they wouldn't have moved up the release date unless some competition had been delayed before July 11. I remember jrs mentioning that he saw it a half a year ago back then.

The Hellboy character is great.
I like his personality and his powers.
If he went against the Cloverfield Monster, I wonder how Hellboy would do?
Do you think he would at least slow the Cloverfield Monster down?

Hellboy

Cloverfield Monster

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I really wasnt impressed with the first film. Hope this one will be better.

Movie Forums Extra
I hope its good, i am going to go see it tomorrow.

The only thing missing was the animated beginning...which wasn't part of the actual film itself.
How is that possible, given that you apparently saw it about a month after they finished principal photography? For this to be true, they'd have had to finish all editing and effects in that small period of time, and then basically let the film sit around for seven months. Why (and how) would they do that?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive rewatched "Hellboy" and I really enjoyed it, the first time I watched it in 04 I wasnt very impressed, I really cant think why I thought that as it is a fantastic film and its a very good comic-movie film that ive seen recently. So im really looking forward to seeing "Hellboy2"

Was a bid disappointment, i liked the first one and had high hopes for this. Can only really give it
for as much as i liked the visuals it was totally uneven with some painfully underdeveloped themes, contrived romances and general lack of flow. Liked seeing Luke Goss back with del Toro after Blade 2, though.

I Really Liked The First Hellboy, But I Didn't Like This One As Much. I Mean I Still Liked It A Lot, But Just Not As Much As The First One.