MoFo Turns Eight, Proudly Discards Training Wheels

Tools    

Hello MoFos.

Well, the timing couldn't have been worse, in a way: MoFo's 8-Year Anniversary came and went yesterday (July 14th) without much fanfare, or even a thread from yours truly. Sadly, I was too wrapped up in work and some computer problems to mark the occasion in the fashion I would have liked.

I will say, though, that I am as grateful as ever to the people who choose to put a part of themselves into this place, in one way or another. We may all get a bit of personal satisfaction in telling someone to use the search page, or answering a "halp wut is this movie???" question thread, but it's still something that generally enhances the community.

By doing those sorts of things in your own spare time, or even by posting your thoughts and responding to those of others, you're showing me that you enjoy this site, and care about what happens to it. I take every review, every thoughtful post, every clever wisecrack, to be a personal compliment, no matter who it is directed at. The mere fact that it happens here, when there are so many sites to choose from, is high praise indeed.

Looking back, the past year was easily the most eventful in the site's history. Traffic records were broken, the Movie Club and Lists areas were built from scratch, the Box Office area was relaunched, The Shoutbox was completely rebuilt, we held the first MoFo Oscar Chat, the Help page was reworked, and we finally got the flippin' Movie Questions forum in plain view (props to Holden for keeping on me about it). Also, the number of User Reviews more than doubled.

All in all, not a bad year. It'll be hard to top it, but I've got more ideas, some of which I'm positively giddy about trying. And it's genuinely flattering that you guys choose, almost every day, to come back to see it alll.

In short: thank you.

A system of cells interlinked
No. Thank YOU! Best place to hang out on the net, period. My tenure started in late '03, and I have seen marked improvement in the already great site features ever since. Glad I can be a part of it, and, as long as MoFo is here, I probably will be, too.

_M

Cheers

I am glad I am a part of MOFO and thanks for keeping it current and fun.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
two words:

Mike Wazowski

there's a frog in my snake oil
Stop making it impossible to leave this place!

(Kudos as ever bro )

You ready? You look ready.
"My CPU is a neural net processor, a learning computer."

I'll be here for a long, long time.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

No, Thank you. Truly. I probably would have been here 8 years ago if it had occurred to me to look for a forum back then. Instead I get to enjoy an already enhanced site that is more than even an average movie lover could hope for.

Not to mention that it is run by an all around good guy that may or may not even realize how special this community is. I think you do Chris, I think that's why you yourself spend so much time here and are constantly tinkering and tweaking this place. I've met some fantastic people here and I'm sure that will continue. I even enjoy poking fun at people (what can I say I'm feeble minded and it gives me pleasure to cut loose with the full wrath of my totally righteous indignation) and maybe even helping out from time to time.

Movies have been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember and there is something about this place that I anticipate will keep me coming back for years to come. I hope that if it ever comes to pass that you find yourself in some kind of financial dire straits, that you will bring it to us before you make a potential decision about selling this place off. Seriously. With the amount of money I spend on movies every year I could easily help out to keep something that's this important afloat. Because as I've mentioned to you before, the people here really talk to each other, and to me that can only be a good thing that hopefully never comes to an end.

I can't believe its been 4 years since i first joined this site as some punk 14 year old with a bad taste in movies but eager to learn.

I feel I matured a lot in my views on film and a lot of that if not all of it is contributed to this site and the people on it.

I may not post too often but granted I'm checking this site multiple times daily to see what everyone has to say about everything.

This is the best site on the net and Chris I thank you for that

Happy Birthday MoFo

MoFo is a great place to be.
I have made some nice friends here, and learned much about movies, and other things.
Happy birthday to your site Yoda.

Originally Posted by Sedai
My tenure started in late '03
November 14, 2003, to be exact. I know this cause that was my 20th birthday (and a pretty eventful day for me) and it USED to say that in that area of the post that tells your name, shows your avatar, etc. What happened to the "Joined: " field? I guess Yoda got rid of it and it'll be replaced by the "Status" field.

Anyway, YAY for eight years!

Welcome to the human race...

HARTIGAN
Eight. Years. Pass.

Sorry, personal joke.

Anyway, of course, thanks for managing to keep this place running for eight years, but most importantly the past two years (despite registering in 2004, I've only really been using this place a lot in the last two years). I think Powdered Water nailed the reason to keep coming back - the fact that members put the "community" into http://www.movieforums.com/community. The majority of users here are the kind of compassionate/intelligent users you never really expect to see on the Internet, and if it wasn't for them MoFo wouldn't be the much-loved institution it is today.

Here's to eight more.

Busy, yes. Also, sometimes I get interested in something and will use every available moment to research it and track it down. I've been down one of those ratholes as of late.

I am half agony, half hope.
Well, can you tell us what the obsession is, Toose? I'm dying to know.

Johann von Goethe

Congratulations on eight years Chris… and thanks for giving me a home on the net for six of those years…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Wow, this place has been here for 8 years? Awesome. Congrats on surviving that long man. From my short, limited experience here this has been a good place to post, and that's not a bad thing in my view. Kuddos.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Even though MoFo was a healthy 7+ before I ever showed up, I'd like to give it and all its longtime members props for being a place conducive to film discussion. You have all made me feel very welcome and that's the main reason I return. It's true I sometimes feel that I'm on a completely different wavelength than others, but I'm sure that, eventually, enough people will deem to contribute to most of the worthy topics which have been here for most of this millenium. I'll try to contribute to them also.

I also want to thank Chris for his hands on approach to the site. He is a very welcoming presence, and of course, he's also one of the first viewers of most all new releases around here. Throw in his daily contributions to the Shoutbox, and I just have to say, "Thank you," for letting me play in your house and yard!

The People's Republic of Clogher
The best collection of people on The Net, simple as that.

Thanks Chris for keeping us here.