The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

→ in
Tools    

The King of Movies
Alright here i go, i know i'm going to anoy some people but who cares....

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the remake, not the 1970's verson, is the scariest movie of all time. No questions asked. Although Hatchet comes close.

I hear people always saying to me but what about the Exorsist. That movie was lame! I mean it was good, but not scary at all! There was no suspense whats so ever. The only thing i could see that would scare people would be Regan's face, but compare that to Leatherface's mask and we will see what is scarier.

Now you might be saying, TCM just has gore, yes it does, but that is not the scary bit of the film. TCM has so much suspense it is not funny. The scence near the end of the film were Erin is hiding in the meat lockers and Leatherface is looking in each one, nearly made jump out a window it was so scary, there is not a scence in any movie that is scarier than that, let alone any scence in the Exorsist! Or what about the scene when Erin and that other chick are hiding in the van and Leatherface apears from no were and jumps on the roof and starts cuting a hole through it, that is pure shock.

Now suspense might be a cheap form of getting scares from audiences but TCM did more than that, it gave that feeling that all was not well, just because of the filming techniques (such as the grainy look) and the eviroment the film was filmed around.

TCM made me jump out of my seat at least 15 times, it was so scary.

The Exorsist or any other movie for that matter has nothing on TCM.

If you don't beleve me go down to Blockbuster borrow The Exorsist then borrow TCM and tell what is scarier.

ps. sorry if i sound agressive, theres not hate here.

ALSO I KNOW TCM WAS NOT BASED ON A TRUE STORY!

OK... so that is you opinion and I respect that

BUT creating suspence in a horror movie isn't a "cheap form of getting scares" it is an art that TCM did touch upon. It is the shock value jumps and mindless gore that are a cheap tricks into scaring audiences.
YOU may not think that the exorcist was scary but this day and age people have a different idea of what is scary, when I watched the exorcist I thought it wasn't all that scary either, but you have to remember it came out in 1973 (?) you will notice that present day horror movies are way different then movies back then. older movies like that simply create a sense of fear and suspence and builds on that (another example would be alien (1979), while newer movies just for the most part have shock value. To call the exorcist lame would be to call most or all modern horror movies lame as they all were heavily influenced by it in some way or another

besides... just the movies in you favorite 10 renders you opinion obsolete... (just joking)
and the correct spelling is SCENE not SCENCE

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I can let you say that you love the film,but I cannot let you say it is the scariest film of all time. Hell, DUMBO was scarier then the TCM remake.

If you think the TCM remake is the scariest movie of all time you need to broaden your horror viewings.

Suspect's Reviews

The King of Movies
I can let you say that you love the film,but I cannot let you say it is the scariest film of all time. Hell, DUMBO was scarier then the TCM remake.

If you think the TCM remake is the scariest movie of all time you need to broaden your horror viewings.
Dude, i have ALOT of horrors and TCM tops the cake.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Ahh one of my fav's the old and the new!!!! Brilliant.....and loved the way both made me feel!!!! Scared and disturbed! I love horror movies!

Originally Posted by king_of_movies_
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the remake, not the 1970's verson, is the scariest movie of all time. No questions asked. Although Hatchet comes close.
Are you a girl?

Seriously... I'm sorry to be making gender comparisons, but if you're a girl, I understand. Girls tend to flip out over these silly horror films. If you're a guy, I think you're kind of a wimp (and, as Usual Suspect said, you need to broaden your horror horizons).

Although, I do agree with you about The Exorcist. I don't think it's scary - or all that interesting as well. Yes, the makeup effects looked good and I love the voice of Mercedes McCambridge as the devil, but I get bored with it easily.

Hatchet is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake is probably my least favorite remake ever simply because it's nothing like the original. Couldn't they have used the same story and the same characters? Although I'm not against changing the storyline in every case, I feel like the fun of a remake should be seeing new actors playing the characters. Everyone always hates the Psycho remake, but why can't remakes just be goofballs of surreal fun, especially if the original is a classic and shouldn't be considered something that could be "improved upon". Certainly, there could be improvements in the presentation, but I just don't get the point of totally redoing everything and sticking the same title on it.

But anyway, that was all said and done (I think) in the OTHER Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) review thread that's around here somewhere (sorry, I'm too lazy to find the link, thus I understand why you made a new thread).

Scariest film ever? I implore you to watch it a dozen more times (god, how horrifying) to get over it.

With that said, I think the film that came after it, the prequel, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, wasn't bad. I kinda appreciate that they made another film to tell more story about the new Leatherface family... only the original 1970's Texas Chainsaw Massacre got a sequel that followed up the story of Leatherface, his brothers and their grandpa in 1986's Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, one of my favorite movies ever along with the original Chainsaw film. Chainsaws 3 & 4 had the killer, Leatherface, with new families, but they never got a sequel to explore the new families even more. I hope you're not confused by all that if you're still reading.

Anyway, enough with me and my Texas Chainsaw talks.

A system of cells interlinked
I'm with SC on this one. I thought this remake was pretty poorly done. They attempted to make TCM into a slick, hollywood flick, and the low-budget, documentary-ish feel is what made the original so cool....

The King of Movies
I'm with SC on this one. I thought this remake was pretty poorly done. They attempted to make TCM into a slick, hollywood flick, and the low-budget, documentary-ish feel is what made the original so cool....
Good point.

I'm curious to know why it's #2 on your Favorite Movies list, besides the "It's sooooooooo scary" reason. Have you seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre? If so, what did you think of it? Did it do nothing for you? I find it a lot more comfortable to watch than the remake... because it's just better to me.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I'm sorry, I must say something.....

IT IS SPELLED "The Exorcist"

If you are going to rag on a movie, spell it right!

Well, horror movies shouldn't make you feel "comfortable", for one. The remake was pretty bad, the original was quite good.

And if you were bored by The Exorcist, then what doesn't bore you? There really aren't many "good" horror films, it is mostly these "directors" trying to be "shocking" by using violence as a crutch.

Although I don't consider myself a big fan of the horror genre, but The Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) are two of the better films.

Well, I wasn't always "comfortable" with the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre... although, I honestly can't remember being umcomfortable with it. I just think watching it is like... drinking a very good bottle of wine. It's silky smooth... whereas the remake is like drowning in a tar pit.

I'm bored by The Exorcist by reasons I can't fully understand yet... I think it has to do with the long time it takes for her to fully transform into the monster she becomes. She keeps going to the doctors and stuff... I get restless. Just vomit pea soup already!

Thats in order to add to the tension, I suppose. Usually there has to be some kind of steady, gradual build-up to the second and third act.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here (maybe not?). I mean uncomfortable in the sense of not being bothered by the film, to feel completely comfortable; i.e. sort of like watching Irreversible for the first time (another fantastic film, by the way).

I think you'd be best served by following Sexy's advice and watch it about 12 times in a row and then check back in and let us know what you think. I bet it doesn't hold up after even two times in a row.

I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or not, Powdered Water -- but I never said that, nor did I ever even imply that. I said they were two of the better films, which has nothing to do with repeated viewings.

Not every film is just as good on repeated viewings. Most people I know usually dislike a film more the second time around -- it is much easier to locate the flaws.

I was referring to our esteemed Sexy Celebrity who suggested earlier up thread to the person who started this fiasco that he/she should watch it a dozen more times... quoted here.

Scariest film ever? I implore you to watch it a dozen more times (god, how horrifying) to get over it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think the phone ringing in The Exorcist is probably scarier than most all of modern horror flicks. Plus the scene with Regan, the crucifix and her mom has to be one of the more disturbing scenes ever.

P.S. I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is better than the original.

This post was a funny joke! Rep for you!
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I think the phone ringing in The Exorcist is probably scarier than most all of modern horror flicks. Plus the scene with Regan, the crucifix and her mom has to be one of the more disturbing scenes ever.

P.S. I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is better than the original.
And I accidentally clicked on the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" for your post. I'm not sure which, or what it does. Sorry!