Freaks and Geeks *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Tools    

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I just finished the complete series a little while ago...

Just some thoughts on what I saw...

- Really, really, really hated the last minute of the series. Lindsay just runs off with some people she doesn't know at all, completely deceiving her parents. It just didn't feel right. I felt that was a horrible way to end the series.

- The saddest thing in the history of television may be when Nick and Lindsay talk for the last time in the series. He is so hurt.

- Following up on Nick, his entire character arc is heart breaking, and some little things seem to make Lindsay either a bitch or someone who just doesn't care enough to notice if she's hurting someone's feelings.

Let's take a look at some things, in a jumbled order, just to get a clearer picture of Nick.

Nick's Dad takes away his drum set late in the series.

Nick tells Lindsay in the first episode that he loves drumming. That it's who he is and that's his one and only passion. Encouraging Lindsay to find her "Giant drum set" so she can find herself as a person.

So when Nick's Dad gives him the stern talking in the band episode, and when he takes away his drums, you see that Nick probably feels like his Dad's disapproval of his drums is disapproval of him as a person. As a human being, since he said that's all he was, was what he played through his drums.

That's one heart breaking fact.

Think back to when Nick tells Lindsay "My relationship with Heidi left me really vulnerable and scared of getting close to girls" or something close to that. Now, with those comments in mind, him talking about how hurt he's been in the past and how easily he could be hurt again, let's look at some things Lindsay did.

- The entire time after they broke up she was cold towards him. When he stayed the night, and he told her he was really happy and grateful they were letting him stay, she just completely blew it off and told him to go away. Someone just kicked out of their house, losing who he said he was, and just wanting to say thank you to the girl that he is absolutely crazy about, and then she just gives him short, emotionally distant answers and tells him to go away.

- The disco scene where he knows and she knows he's not happy is so sad. She perpetuates this lie to himself by trying to tell him he's happier now. He says he is, but as soon as he says it, they both give this look explaining that they know it's not true. And in a masked, desperate last attempt to get her to love him, he tells her he hasn't smoked in forever and that he gave it up. That he doesn't even really want it anymore.

Lindsay's whole attitude towards Nick, his emotional problems considered, is really mean in my eyes. Not only that, but she refuses to even remember that Nick was the single most accepting person when she joined her new friends and was trying to find herself. The only person in her life who was trying to help her figure out who she was, and helped her when she felt like things were becoming too much.

Some may say Millie was the same way, but Millie didn't want Lindsay to find herself. She just wanted her to be the same way she was before.

Nick was the only one who 100% encouraged Lindsay to be exactly who she wanted and needed to be, and the last half of the season (last three episodes in particular) she just completely blew him off and I think that's really sad.

(Loved the show, BTW)

Yeah I have the dvd set of this show it was really good just too short lived.

I never really felt bad for Nick the way I looked at it was Lindsey never really liked him the way he liked her. When they kiss it was more of a mistake than true feelings from Lindsey. You say how she was a bitch for not seeing how much she is hurting his feelings but like her mom says in the show you can't be with someone simply because you feel bad for them.

Lindsey didn't like Nick that way and had to break it off and keep her distance because it would be worse if she hung around him and pretended to be interested in him and give him false hope. It may have hurt him but they were never going to happen and she had ot get that point across.

As for the finale i liked the way they ended it. took almost all the characters and threw them in a place you never would have expected them. Lindsey rebels against the people controlling her life to do what she wants which happened to be go follow around the Grateful Dead. Kim felt trapped in their small town and she broke out as well with Lindsey to explore the world. Daniel took down his tough guy shield and hung out with the geek splaying dungeons and dragons and Nick gave up rock and roll for Disco Dancing. I love how they showed people changing and breaking away from the stature that they started with by showing you can be anyway you want to be and you don't have to be a nerdy good girl or a hardcore rock n roll burnout.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Oh, I agree about the feelings. I'm not saying I want Lindsay to just fall head over heels for him when she doesn't think of him like that, I just have this sort of negative feeling towards her now that the show is over and I've seen how distant she was towards him when he was obviously so crazy about her.

He tried to do everything to please her, and she just abandoned him midway through the series. He was always there for her, as a friend or otherwise, and she was really flaky when it came to his emotions.

And hell...even Apatow on the commentary recognized that during that final scene of theirs, Nick isn't happy, and Lindsay knows it. She just kind of brushes it off and keeps helping him lie to himself.

I don't know...I just felt really bad for him the whole show.