In Bruges: The Review

→ in
Tools    

In Bruges Review

Intro

In Bruges is the lasted British gangster comedy hitting the cinema screens. Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are hit men who have just completed a job. Having killed a priest in London, the pair are instructed by their boss Ralph Riennes to hide out in Bruges. Despite In Bruges being the cliche the dark comedy is combined with serious issues as well as outrageous jokes.

What I Thought

Sitting in a full cinema, I would say only 60% found the film funny. If you are easily offended it would not be the best film to see. In Bruges has guns, blood, a girl and humour that not only makes jokes of people's disabilities but also nationality. I personally enjoyed the film but would definitely say it is more suited for males!

The scenes of the Bruges are beautiful and from this film I would really consider visiting. Collin Farrell, bored and restless from being forced to stay in a quiet dull town in Belgium is probably the best bit of this film. In comparison, his partner Brendan Gleeson enjoys the sightseeing and the strong contrasts between the characters mean that the comedy is enjoyable.

In Bruges, being an 18 indicates what you can expect. If you like guns and blood, this film is for you. The main downside of this film is that too much time is taken on the build up to the main action, meaning that the film appears to lack plot. Although it must be said that the plot is certainly not predictable. Collin Farrell and his co-star Brendan Gleeson are fantastic, their scary gangster boss, Ralph Riennes also gives a good performance. The character of Ray (Collin Farrell), experiences drugs, prostitutes, mugging and of course a shootout. Clemence Posy, who plays Chloe provides the last element to make this film a success. Not only is she gorgeous but also adds more humour and depth.

Overall

Overall I would recommend In Bruges to those who think they will enjoy it! It is probably not a film that girls would like but it is worth it just for Collin Farrell! I personally was able to see beyond the cruel, gruesome humour and see Bruges as a quiet beautiful town. There have been complaints however, that in In Bruges, Bruges is portrayed in an inaccurate way.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	in bruge.jpg
Views:	1825
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	6122  

Hey Chris I enjoyed the film too. We watched it in a full cinema (free viewing), mixed audience - I'd say 50/50 women/men and mixture of ages (actually funnily enough, mostly over the age of 30ish) and I'd say everyone laughed - well it sounded like it! What makes you think the film is more suited to men? I always get a little edgy when people say that!

Also I'd disagree with you when you say that the time taken on the build up to the action was a downside. On the contrary, that was the best part of the film, after all it's not exactly an action film as such is it? The slow build up gave us a good chance to see the interplay between Ray and Ken and the feelings they have towards one another. This gave a lot of depth to the film - without it this might've been another violent film that was just a series of smartarse witticisms.

Don't worry tho, I think Bruges will get over being in In Bruges. It has a thousand years of history I doubt even Colin Farrell can make a mark on that

My mom saw this. I think at first she was a little put off by the violence, but when I talked to her again a few days later she said I should see it. I'm waiting for the dvd.

Yea the banter between the two characters is really good fun. But some of the early stages could have been taken out. Said it is more of a guy film because I preferred more than my girlfriend and girls are more likely to be offended by the violence.

Said it is more of a guy film because I preferred more than my girlfriend and girls are more likely to be offended by the violence.
I find this a really interesting thought Chris. I think it'd make a good thread. Would you mind?

Finally got around to seeing In Bruges. I don't know exactly what I think, but I know I was interested and entertained throughout, and that it's probably one of the best films I've seen this year.

Farrell was perfectly cast here. I don't think he's particularly privileged when it comes to range, but he's definitely one of those actors who can excel when placed in the right role, and this was definitely the right role.

Parts of it felt weird for their own sake, and I could have done with a bit less build-up, and a bit more backstory, but still, it struck a deft balance between funny and mournful, and I enjoyed the ironic way it all came together.

"You two are weird. Would you like some cocaine?"

Plus they were filming midgets. Which was nice.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
This looks and from what ive read seems like a sweet film Nice review my friend!

I personally enjoyed the film but would definitely say it is more suited for males!
It is probably not a film that girls would like but it is worth it just for Collin Farrell!
You're saying chicks can't handle full body explosions?
Hey Chris I enjoyed the film too. We watched it in a full cinema (free viewing), mixed audience - I'd say 50/50 women/men and mixture of ages (actually funnily enough, mostly over the age of 30ish) and I'd say everyone laughed - well it sounded like it! What makes you think the film is more suited to men? I always get a little edgy when people say that!
There you go. Me too, and I'm a guy.
Also I'd disagree with you when you say that the time taken on the build up to the action was a downside. On the contrary, that was the best part of the film, after all it's not exactly an action film as such is it? The slow build up gave us a good chance to see the interplay between Ray and Ken and the feelings they have towards one another. This gave a lot of depth to the film - without it this might've been another violent film that was just a series of smartarse witticisms.
We're 100% on the same page here.
Farrell was perfectly cast here. I don't think he's particularly privileged when it comes to range, but he's definitely one of those actors who can excel when placed in the right role, and this was definitely the right role.
it struck a deft balance between funny and mournful, and I enjoyed the ironic way it all came together.
Agree with what I quoted. Really, I'm left with little else to say. Very grey, very funny, very ironic; the comedy is nuanced and deadpan, and very dark. The tone is always slightly... nostalgic is the word that comes to mind, but it's not it. Well fill the blank, it has something to do with that.

Farrell is perfect for his role, Gleeson is always likeable, even as a hit-man here, and Fiennes is just hilarious with his slightly insane and hot tempered yet very likeable crime boss, and might I say, with some rock solid principles.

Totally recommend it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, just that the other day I catched it again on TNT. TNT cuts the hell out of movies with violence and language. It. Was. Horrible.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Yeah this movie is amazing. I found the two lead characters very sympathetic, and you could see the humanity in them. The movie is hilarious and the film is brilliantly paced. I would love to revisit this film again. It's so enjoyable.

Finished here. It's been fun.
^Yeah you should give it another chance. It's a really entertaining movie and very well written. It's very rewatchable as well.