The Road

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The Road

Plot: Based on the Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Cormac McCarthy. In the aftermath of a disaster that leaves the whole world scorched and blackened, a man and his young son struggle to survive as they trek across America.

Director: John Hillcoat (The Proposition, Ghosts of the Civil Dead)

Cast: Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee

Who else is looking forward to this?

The folks who discussed it in THIS thread earlier this week, for sure.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I don't think we should discuss this film over in that other thread because the title is misleading. That thread deals with two McCormac adaptations and The Road looks to be a film that may lead to a lot of discussion this year.

I think we should just keep this thread alive because it is easier to find based on the title.

For anyone who may be wondering what's going on with this film and why we still don't have a trailer and hell, we don't even have a poster yet, I came across this:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article..._isnt_done_yet

Seems they are tweaking it a great deal at this point. I can't get a handle on this... are they tweaking it because they see problems, or rather do they believe they have something so powerful that they want to get it just right?

Is this really going to be the film of the year?

I just don't know what to think. Its due out in November yet we've seen nothing yet.

I don't think we should discuss this film over in that other thread because the title is misleading. That thread deals with two McCormac adaptations and The Road looks to be a film that may lead to a lot of discussion this year.

I think we should just keep this thread alive because it is easier to find based on the title.

For anyone who may be wondering what's going on with this film and why we still don't have a trailer and hell, we don't even have a poster yet, I came across this:

Seems they are tweaking it a great deal at this point. I can't get a handle on this... are they tweaking it because they see problems, or rather do they believe they have something so powerful that they want to get it just right?

Is this really going to be the film of the year?

I just don't know what to think. Its due out in November yet we've seen nothing yet.
When you say its due in November that is just in the US right? I am in Australia and have been scouring the net for a release date here but cant seem to find anything. Does anyone have any idea when it will be released in Australia?

moonflower, I don't see much listed for the worldwide release.

And still NO trailer!

I found this poster; not sure it is the official poster:

http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/movie...thyTheRoad.php

Not thrilled with it.

The release is less than two months away. I don't know, it seems weird how they haven't been able to put together a trailer.

moonflower, I don't see much listed for the worldwide release.

And still NO trailer!

Not thrilled with it.

The release is less than two months away. I don't know, it seems weird how they haven't been able to put together a trailer.
Cheers for the reply! Yes i know i have seen dates for europe and places like that that extend to early next year but nothing about Australia. I was a little worried that it might not be released here, but then i reasoned with myself that the calibre of actors in the film would warrant a release here, especially comparing it to some of the other junk we get.

However it is a bit worrying that there isnt any trailer. There was some talk on the IMDB boards that it could be due to a change in the distribution company. I would love to see the trailer, but i will be happy just to hear a release date for AUS at this stage

I've not read the book but it and the movie sound interesting...

Not thrilled with it.

I kinda like the poster.... it has a surreal look that's rather intriguing....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Poster reminds me too much of The Happening.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im really interested in this it sounds great, I havent read the book but im looking forward to this.

For those who havent read the book, i highly recommed that you do. It is my favourite book of all that i have read so far. It stays with you a long time after you read it. fantastic.

By the way i love the movie poster, i think it looks great

Something's rotten in Denmark er on The Road.

http://oscar-watch.ew.com/2008/10/is-the-road-bei.html

There's a rumor on the internet that this film is being postponed until 2009, but nobody has a date and comingsoon.net just says, "TBA 2009."

I can't find any confirmation, just rumor.

How do these rumors get started, anyway?

To be sure, with a release date of November 14th and NO trailer and no publicity, I'd say this is probably true. But what is going on?

I had this high on my list of 2008 Oscar contenders.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was looking for this book today, but couldn't find it.

Suspect's Reviews

From what I've heard, the reaction at the test screenings was horrible. Here's a piece from digitalspy

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...-problems.html

John Hillcoat's drama The Road has had its release date changed after a receiving a negative reaction at a recent test screening.

Originally penciled in for a November 26 wide release, the adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel has been pushed back to December and could potentially be moved to 2009, says The Hollywood Reporter.

A film fan in attendance at a focus group screening of The Road told Chud that the movie was a "complete mess".

They said: "It was just a complete mess... the film never pretends to be interested in its opaque story, replacing what I assume would be literary details with bleak, miserablist moments edited together randomly, none feeling like they emerged from the same film.

"It might just be unadaptable, because after the first twenty minutes the rest of the film is a crushing bore of a foregone conclusion."

The Weinstein Company drama focuses on an unnamed man (Viggo Mortensen) and his son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) making their way across a post-apocalyptic landscape.

The Reader, another Weinstein Company drama, has also faced problems in post-production. The film was put on a rushed release schedule by Harvey Weinstein, prompting producer Scott Rudin to exit the project.

Registered Creature
Looks interesting. And Viggo's in it. Go Viggo.

From what I've heard, the reaction at the test screenings was horrible. Here's a piece from digitalspy

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...-problems.html
Wow.

Although, I'm not exactly surprised this turned out to the problem. From what that viewer said, it sounds a bit like the book! The book itself is an exercise in redundancy and despair, but that was Cormac's point, I believe.

At the same time, though, I thought you could make an interesting film drama about it, because you could take certain parts of it and it could be very dramatic on screen, but it seems the screenplay would be a different construct.

This is disappointing.

I'll wait and see what happens too. I want Hillcoat to get it right. I wonder what kind of an audience was at the test screening? It's such a powerfully dour book, maybe they weren't the right audience? I don't know much about these things - do they invite people that's a films intended audience or does just anyone attend?

North American Scum!
This better not be true...I've been waiting for the trailer for eons...and the horror that I may have to wait till 09 is unbearable!