Juno

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of Juno. I saw it last week, actually, but didn't get around to reviewing it until now. Really lovely film; everything you've heard about it is true.

Juno

Juno is a film which, on paper, would seem rather pedestrian: a coming-of-age tale about a young girl who accidently becomes pregnant, and has to grapple with the responsibilities that result. But it diverges from the typical in subtly important ways, and relies on superior execution and wonderful performances to set it apart.

Starring Ellen Page as the title character, the film opens with Juno drinking heavily from a jug of orange juice in order to take a home pregnancy test; for the third time, we learn. Like the first two, it comes back positive, and she’s forced to tell her father (J.K. Simmons) and stepmother (Allison Janney) the news.

It is in the scene where she informs them of her pregnancy that we first realize that Juno is smarter than your typical movie. Juno’s father is understandably upset, but doesn’t go on a tirade, berate her, or do any of the other things you’d expect a two-dimensional father character to do in the movies. He’s disappointed, but measured, and genuinely surprised (about the father’s identity, in particular).

That father would be Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera), the timid marathon runner that exudes tentativeness in everything he does…except in his support of Juno. The audience realizes early on that he harbors significant feelings for her, even though she’s a bit too wrapped up in the pregnancy to notice right away.

Juno decides to give the child up for adoption to Mark and Vanessa Loring (Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner), a seemingly perfect couple that can’t have children of their own. And with them, the film again takes seemingly flat characters (nervous, uptight yuppies), and turns them into real people. Mark is secretly alarmed at the rate at which he’s become a full-fledged adult, and spends time with Juno in an effort to recapture some elements of his youth. Vanessa’s nervousness turns out to be only a reflection of how seriously she takes the possibility of motherhood.

The secret of Juno’s success is in the depth of its characters, and the way the actors bring them to life. Much has been said of Ellen Page’s performance, and there’s a good chance we’ll see her at the Oscars before all is said and done. Everything you’ve heard is true; though she wisecracks incessantly through the first half of the film, we become gradually aware that it’s all a charade. She sees a world she believes is largely indifferent to her, and replying in kind is her best defense mechanism.

Michael Cera plays timid, insecure characters so well that you have to wonder how much of it is actually a performance. From Arrested Development to Superbad, and now to Juno, the typecasting is thoroughly complete.

Simmons and Janney are lovely as Juno’s parents, though Simmons gets the better lines, along with a heartfelt speech to his daughter about whether or not two people can go on being happy together forever. He tells her the truth, and he tells it to her in exactly the way she needs to hear it.

The film’s music is noteworthy, if not only because several of its songs are performed by Kimya Dawson. They have a decidedly indie slant, and their overuse actually represents one of the film’s few flaws. Nevertheless, the song that closes the film perfectly captures the movie’s mood, and will be stuck in your head for days afterwards.

Somehow, Juno manages to traverse well-tread subject matter without ever falling into cliché. It details heartbreak without coming off as hokey or manipulative. It’s one of 2007’s best films, largely because it recognizes that an investment in its characters will lend a lasting emotional resonance to all that they say and do.

Thanks Yoda, looks good. I love these types of films.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Hey! I reviewed this film earlier, and just wanted to ask you, did you find Juno and Mark's reletionship a bit creepy? I did

I went back and forth on that, actually. Obviously their relationship is very sweet at first, but it gets a little more complicated, and, yes, a tad creepy.

But after thinking about it some more, I don't think there's was anything creepy about it. I think Mark was looking more for reassurance that he was still the young, cool guy he liked to think of himself as. It goes hand-in-hand with...

WARNING: "Juno" spoilers below
...his leaving Vanessa. He's just not quite ready to take that last step into adulthood.

We never really learn if his closeness with Juno sparks this, or is just a symptom of it, but I think it all fits pretty well.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's how I interpreted it.

Great review Yoda... This sounds like something I would enjoy... thanks...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I went back and forth on that, actually. Obviously their relationship is very sweet at first, but it gets a little more complicated, and, yes, a tad creepy.

But after thinking about it some more, I don't think there's was anything creepy about it. I think Mark was looking more for reassurance that he was still the young, cool guy he liked to think of himself as. It goes hand-in-hand with...

...his leaving Vanessa. He's just not quite ready to take that last step into adulthood.

We never really learn if his closeness with Juno sparks this, or is just a symptom of it, but I think it all fits pretty well.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's how I interpreted it.
I was just talking about the dance scene, before he revealed what he said in the spoiler

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, too. I thought it was a little awkward, but I still think he just enjoyed the fact that Juno found him cool. I think he liked the idea that maybe she had a little crush on him, too, but I don't think his intentions were inappropriate or serious.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, too. I thought it was a little awkward, but I still think he just enjoyed the fact that Juno found him cool. I think he liked the idea that maybe she had a little crush on him, too, but I don't think his intentions were inappropriate or serious.

yeah, that's one of the reason why I gave this film a 4/5, also, did you think J.k Simmons got enough lines? I guess he might have been busy with Spider-man 3 while filming, but I wanted more lines

You're a Genius all the time
I loved this movie.

I don't know what this says about me as a person, but I related with Jason Bateman's Mark so much, it scared me. I think his relationship with Juno did get a little weird towards the end, though. Their last scene together definitely had some pretty sleazy undertones running through it. Not because he's a creepy guy or anything.

I do think he overestimated their whole situation and Juno was a little naive about it, too. It just seemed like Mark, forgetting Juno's age and his obligations to Vanessa, was (unbeknownst to himself maybe) already planning out their future in his head. After Juno popped the kid out they'd dump all the responsibility on Vanessa, rent a loft somewhere and spend the forseeable future playing guitar and humping. But then Juno started, you know, acting her age and Mark realized she was only 16 and he was just so embarassed. There was no coming back from that, he had to leave. And again, I can so relate to that.

Nice review, by the way

You're a Genius all the time
Yeah, well your discerning skills are in fine form tonight. But such is my infatuation with this film that I have to keep coming up with new and exciting plot twists just to maintain my nightly Juno fix (without actually shelling out the ten bucks to see it again).

BANNED
nice review, by the way why the title of the movie was called Juno? thanks in advance...

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
Originally Posted by Ar4d
nice review, by the way why the title of the movie was called Juno? thanks in advance...
The answer to your question is in the review. First sentence of the second paragraph.

Nice Review!!! I still haven't watch it though..

Nice review Yoda...Impressive...Anyway this movie can impart a lot of moral lesson in life specially to the teens...

very interesting film about early pregnancy.

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
Originally Posted by Yoda
Simmons and Janney are lovely as Juno’s parents, though Simmons gets the better lines, along with a heartfelt speech to his daughter about whether or not two people can go on being happy together forever. He tells her the truth, and he tells it to her in exactly the way she needs to hear it.
I actually thought Janney's lines were just as good if not better than Simmons'.

I thought that scene where Bren rips on the ultrasound technician was one of the best parts of the movie. Not just because it was hilarious, but also because of how oddly sweet it was to see a step mother (step parents have an unfair amount of bad rep, in my opinion) so fiercely protect her surrogate child. That scene and the one where Bren makes her "Doctors are sadists who like to play God and laugh at the lesser people's pain" comment were actually the only ones that scored a round of applause from the audience in the theater I first watched the movie in.

She also had her fair share of zingers. One of my favorites being...

"Somebody else is going to find a precious blessing from Jesus in this garbage dump of a situation."

I'm not trying to take anything away from Simmons' performance though. I thought he was great and his delivery of that two people being together forever speech was very effective.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Simmons' performance though. I thought he was great and his delivery of that two people being together forever speech was very effective.
Yeah, especially since he was also subtly talking about his relationship with his daughter. Repairmen and movie buffs just seem to understand reality better than others.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i just got back from seeing this movie. this could be the most orginial written movie i have seen in awhile. i loved every minute of it especailly the parts that are mentioned here. ellen page is going to be around alot longer with her talent. she made the movie hers..every performance was outstanding and felt like it was wrote just for that actor!! i cannot wait until it comes out on dvd.