Banana's Bunch of Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Alright to begin sorry for the horrific pun in the title I was trying to be clever to start but it did fail. I would like to keep it just because I thought it was good at the time and hell maybe I am wrong.

LIVE FREE DIE HARD (MORE F**K MORE FUN)

I have seen many a action movies in my day and some are great(i.e the first Die Hard) and some are miserable (AvP, XXX state of the union Smoking Aces etc...) They are usually separated by a key factor, and that is that they either have something to say or just wanted to cash in on the fact that people will see just about anything now-a-days.
This movie tries to say something, or at least I think it did. It was meant to show the vulnerability of American life and how we rely so much on the technology that could come back and bite us in the ass. The movie dumbs this down as much as possible and beats us over the head with it over and over. The movie focuses on "Hackers", and does it so stupidly I almost wanted to scream. I am not a hacker, and I don't plan on being on but the way that they showed hacking as basically tapping wilding on a keyboard and waiting for S**T to download. Now I didn't want to see 2 hours of binary code but if your gonna have something play as key a part in a plot as it does here then you can at least make it look like these people aren't one step above hitting the computer with a wrench.
Now I know this was meant to be a popcorn movie because it is obvious by the fact that it was PG-13 which is one of my biggest pet-peeves ever. The Unrated DVD( which is the first PG-13 to unrated DVD that ever lived up to the Unrated Bulls**t) did much better by tossing a bunch of F bombs where they should have been. The action is very good in some places and is very thrilling but its the stuff in between that really just had me wanting to fast forward through it. At times I thought I was watching a kick ass action movie and at others I thought i was watching crappy reruns of 24. The drama is very superficial and I didn't think for one second that anything bad would ever happen in the end, and I was right.
The acting is good at parts and terrible at others Willis does a good job but Justin Long really didn't feel right for me. As much as I love Kevin Smith I didn't feel him in this movie.
There is definitely a decent action flick here and if you aren't looking for it you can look past the flaws in between some very interesting action sequences. The story has some decent twists but really is just for show but if you are thirsty for some action then give this one a shot
Rating: Rent it

More coming soon here is a list of what I should have up within the week
Walk Hard
Hard Candy
Hatchet
Sweeney Todd
Superbad

Hopefully this is not too ambitious and I will try to spend a little more time on these movies then I did on this. It was kind of mediocre in my opinion so it wasn't really at the top of my list despite being the first movie I have reviewed here
www.thecriticalcritics.com

LIVE FREE DIE HARD (MORE F**K MORE FUN)

Rating: Rent it
OK

Thanks for the review keep them coming

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Rating: See it/ Buy the DVD
Walk hard is the new movie from Judd Apatow and company who have quickly become a huge name in comedy over the past year with Talladega Nights, Knocked Up, and Superbad which all did great and are some of my favorite comedies. Walk hard is very different than anything they have done before, and is making fun of all of the biopics of musicians and also a lot of VH1 behind the music specials. If the Apatow crew wasn't behind this one then I would have skipped it for sure because of the horrific date movie scary movie spin-offs, and at first glance this looks like its in the same bag.
Walk hard is one of the funniest laugh out loud comedies of the year hands down, and I spent most of this movie laughing my ass off at the amazing documentation of the history of this pretend character. It helps a lot if you have seen Walk the Line because it follows it very closely at times but also just makes fun of the whole industry in some parts. There are also jokes that are completely out of the blue that carry on throughout the whole movie but they don't feel out of place at all and are a welcomed change. I really don't want to give away any of the jokes because I enjoyed them so much that I would not like to ruin any of them Most of the jokes work at least to some extent but the ones that really work will come fast and furious and I had to hold back tears at certain points of the movie.
Its amazing that casts like this can still get together, and make great movies because this has to be one of the best ensemble casts I have ever seen in a comedy. It mixes famous and new actors along with staples in the music industry with my favorite being Jack from The White Stripes playing Elvis. Reilly carries the movie like the top class actor that he is and really shines Dewey and Jenna Fischer finally lives up to all of the great parts she has gotten over the last couple of years.
This is a movie that I really enjoyed and thoroughly recommend for anyone who liked the biopics of recent years or just want a complete spoof of the music industry as a whole. Not everything works and some parts are a little dull or plain stupid but if you can forgive the minor flaws then this will definitely be a great way to close out 2007
Score: Buy the Ticket

Rocket Science
Rating: Buy the DVD
On to a little gem of a movie that I had the opportunity to watch for the first time recently. I really liked this movie because I have had times in school when I couldn't talk very well or at all at times(not a problem anymore I am now one of the Lawyers on the school Mock Trial Team). The story is about a kid who has a terrible stutter and is just trying to slide through school invisibly. He then is persuaded by a pretty girl that he has a gift for debating so he ends up joining the debate team. Don't worry its not the great debaters the debating makes up such a small part of the movie that you really don't notice it too much if you don't like that sort of thing. This movie is my favorite kind of funny because it isn't all laugh out loud funny but its the kind of funny that keeps a smile on your face for most of the movie because of the hilarious different characters. One of my favorite moments in the film is when he throws a chello into a window and just goes off running. To say the least if you are looking for a fun movie to blow an hour and a half or so on then definitely pick this one up.
9/10 for this one

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks for the reviews. If you want them to be pegged for the main page in the future, you will have to move over to the site's rating system of 1-5 boxes of popcorn, so the reviews fit snuggly in our system. Also, if you do want them pegged eventually,m I would work on your formatting a bit, breaking paragraphs out and tightening up the writing.

That said, thanks for the effort, and for sharing your thoughts!

Nice review Phntmbanana....I will wait for your up coming review....