moulin rouge

Tools    

Movie Forums Extra
did you like this movie? did you fall inlove with it?

No, actually, I hate Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge!.

Thanks for asking!

If you'd like to spark discussion about a particular movie or topic, you're going to have to try a little harder than "do u like" this or that. Tell us what you think. Why do you love or hate it? Then we can respond in kind.

Dig?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am half agony, half hope.
I love Moulin Rouge! I like Baz Luhrman's work, It's always grand, and can't wait to see his next movie.

What I like specifically in Moulin Rouge is the use of color, the acting, and costumes. Overall, I love the genre and the plot. I'm a sucker for love stories, especially if it involves unrequited love or ends in tragedy. I'm always a little suspicious of 'happily ever after' endings unless it's a fairy tale.

"Christian, you may see me only as a drunken, vice-ridden gnome whose friends are just pimps and girls from the brothels. But I know about art and love, if only because I long for it with every fiber of my being." Toulouse

Johann von Goethe

No, I didn't fall in love with it... I hate Moulin Rouge

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

No, I didn't fall in love with it... I hate Moulin Rouge
Did you like What's Love Got To Do With It, what about Ray or the movie about The Supremes (Jennifer Hudson) or Johnny Cash (Reese Witherspoon - speaking of which, have you seen Freeway)?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yowza! That's a lot, but I'm sure she'll answer!

I actually enoyed Walk the Line and Ray the best of those, but I think I should shut down.

Did you like What's Love Got To Do With It, what about Ray or the movie about The Supremes (Jennifer Hudson) or Johnny Cash (Reese Witherspoon - speaking of which, have you seen Freeway)?

I haven't seen The Supremes or Freeway.... and I haven't seen all of Ray... but what I did see, I liked.... Walk the Line is on my top 100 list... and I did enjoy What's Love Got to Do With It.... and although you didn't ask, I really enjoyed Chicago .... and The King and I is also on my top 100.... and I usually like Kidman and McGregor.... I just didn't care for Moulin Rouge...

EDIT: The movie about The Supremes is Dream Girls....

I haven't seen The Supremes or Freeway.... and I haven't seen all of Ray... but what I did see, I liked.... Walk the Line is on my top 100 list... and I did enjoy What's Love Got to Do With It.... and although you didn't ask, I really enjoyed Chicago .... and The King and I is also on my top 100.... and I usually like Kidman and McGregor.... I just didn't care for Moulin Rouge...
Cool. Freeway is worth seeing. It's dark and twisted with some dry humor thrown in, about a serial killer (Keiffer Sutherland) that gets the tables turned on him by Reese. I loved this movie.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I love Moulin Rouge! Is it silly, melodramatic and over-edited? Yes. Does it mater? Not to me. I like the fact that it is colourful, unashamedly romantic and full of wonderfully anachronistic songs. I am a big fan of Baz Luhrmann's red curtain trilogy, and Moulin Rouge is the best of the three.

I found Moulin Rouge! to be practically unwatchable.
On the other hand, I love one of Luhrmann's earlier films: Strictly Ballroom. I haven't seen Romeo + Juliet.

Put me in your pocket...
No, I didn't like or love Moulin Rouge. I normally love musicals and romance, but not this one. The story felt recycled from older movies like 42nd St and Camille wiith at least one scene lifted from Gigi(resturant scene) and wrapped up in a gaudy, garrish, glisty package. I've tried to sit through it again to give it another chance, but I couldn't do it.

Story wise I much preffered Moulin Rouge (1952) by John Huston starring Jose Ferrer. It wasn't a musical, but it touched more than Baz Luhrmann's vision of Moulin Rouge did.

Put me in your pocket...
On the other hand, I love one of Luhrmann's earlier films: Strictly Ballroom. I haven't seen Romeo + Juliet.
I agree. I did love Strictly Ballroom.
Haven't seen Romeo + Juliet either.

Yes and Yes.

I found Moulin Rouge! to be practically unwatchable.
I agree. I did love Strictly Ballroom.
Haven't seen Romeo + Juliet either.

I really liked Strictly Ballroom too.... and it's not a movie I would watch over and over, but Romero + Juliet is definitely worth a look....

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I love Moulin Rouge! Is it silly, melodramatic and over-edited? Yes. Does it mater? Not to me. I like the fact that it is colourful, unashamedly romantic and full of wonderfully anachronistic songs. I am a big fan of Baz Luhrmann's red curtain trilogy, and Moulin Rouge is the best of the three.
What Thursday said.

No, I didn't like or love Moulin Rouge. I normally love musicals and romance, but not this one. The story felt recycled from older movies like 42nd St and Camille wiith at least one scene lifted from Gigi(resturant scene) and wrapped up in a gaudy, garrish, glisty package. I've tried to sit through it again to give it another chance, but I couldn't do it.

Story wise I much preffered Moulin Rouge (1952) by John Huston starring Jose Ferrer. It wasn't a musical, but it touched more than Baz Luhrmann's vision of Moulin Rouge did.

Well, thank God, someone else remembers the classics! One of Jose Ferrer's best films and probably the only movie in which any of the Gabors actually made a valuable contribution! It may not have been a musical, but didn't its theme song win an Oscar that year? Or at least was nominated? I remember "The Theme from Moulin Rouge got a lot of play on the radio during the 1950s.

love the part of being a musical!! I really like some song on some musical movies but I rather go with Chicago have greater songs!! than this one.

I'm a bunch of a hell!
i like it and I enjoy watching musical films.