Gone Baby Gone

→ in
Tools    

Posted this review of Gone Baby Gone yesterday, but didn't get around to reproducing it here until now. My apologies to anyone who's already read it; it was littered with typos and the like that I couldn't fix until today.

Gone Baby Gone

Anyone who's seen any significant number of movies is bound to catch themselves trying to compare one to another as they watch them. We inevitably try to ascertain the moral or message of the story -- or whether or not there even is one -- before it's spelled out for us.

Gone Baby Gone, however, refuses to be pegged. The audience is alternating made to believe that the film is about despair, redemption, and agonizing choices, as layer upon layer is stripped away, revealing an increasingly complex plot that takes on a new meaning and gives the film a new message with every reveal.

Directed and co-written by Ben Affleck in his first trip behind the lens, Gone Baby Gone stars his brother, Casey Affleck as Patrick Kenzie, and Michelle Monaghan, who plays his partner and significant other, Angie Gennaro. Together, they form a team of informal missing persons detectives. As the film opens, they learn that a little girl in their neighborhood named Amanda is missing, and it isn't long before members of Amanda's family come knocking on their door asking for help. In this neighborhood, there are lots of people who know lots of things, and lots of them won't talk to the police. Patrick and Angie are from the area, though, and lots of people will talk to them.

Because a little girl's life is at stake, tensions run high from the get-go, and Patrick and Angie are met with a great deal of hostility early in their investigation. The area they're traversing, however, is a rough one, and it's hard to tell whether the resistance they're met with is standard fare, or whether it means they're onto something big. What they do know is that every moment they fail to find Amanda, the odds of finding her alive drop even further.

In a nice twist on the standard crime formula, the police involved in the investigation actually work with Patrick and Angie. They are understandably distrustful, but they never devolve into the paranoid, jurisdiction-obsessed caricatures that we've grown so accustomed to seeing in these sorts of stories. They are three-dimensional characters with experiences and motivations of their own which illuminate all of what they do, though most of it we won't understand until later.

Roger Ebert stated, in his review of this film, that "certain clues are planted in plain view. We can see or hear them just fine. It's that we don't know they're clues. No glowering close ups or characters skulking in a corner to give the game away." His description is perfect; Gone Baby Gone does not follow standard movie conventions, which would use camera angles and musical cues to tell us which lines of dialogue are important. Instead, we receive them in real-time, just like Patrick and Angie, and they don't always make sense right away. Nothing is highlighted for us, and so we feel the enormity of the information and the many possibilities that Patrick and Angie must sift through to get to the truth.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention the supporting actors, which are one of the film's strongest points. Morgan Freeman plays the head of the Crimes Against Children department with a certainty and purpose that can only come from having lived the worst-case scenario of these sorts of investigations. Ed Harris and Nick Poole play two of his detectives assigned to provide Patrick and Angie with assistance throughout their investigation. Poole is believable as the good cop, and Harris is superb as the bad. They skillfully replicate the chemistry and rapport of a longtime duo.

This is a potentially career-altering effort from both Afflecks. Casey Affleck shows considerable range, and his brother Ben considerable skill behind the camera, even if he does heighten the tension with some absurdly loud gunshots at times. Ben co-wrote the screenplay with Aaron Stockard, which was based on a book of the same name, and which is apparently Affleck's favorite. His affection is noticeable; the elder Affleck paints in all the corners, and shows a refreshing dedication to fleshing out the supporting characters.

Well-acted and much smarter than your typical crime drama, Gone Baby Gone is a promising debut, full of well-drawn supporting characters and enough confidence to know which questions to answer, and which to let us ponder for ourselves.

i saw the movie the other day and I was very much taken by suprise on how great it was. youre absolutely right about the clues being placed throughout the entire movie, but in its most subtle motion. I picked up on a couple of them and tried to apply it to the later portions of the movie, some were off, some were on. All in all, the movie was very intense and it had a deep impact on me due to personal reasonings.

ill give it a 9 outta 10.

I will definitely watch this because it was adapted and directed by Ben Affleck.

I'm surprised by how focused this movie was. I didn't think Ben Affleck had it in him to direct such a suspenseful picture but I was proven wrong. I liked the dark tone of the film, the twists, and the evolution of Casey Affleck's charismatic but flawed character. None of the elements in this film felt forced. Even though it was about a tragedy, it had some sort of an organic feel to it; as if it can happen in real life, not just in the movies. I also liked that the ending offers no easy solution, which made it all the more haunting.

I really hope it gains more audience.

4 out of 4 stars.
I was one of the insatiables. The ones you'd always find sitting closest to the screen. Why do we sit so close? Maybe it was because we wanted to receive the images first--when they were still new, still fresh; before they cleared the hurdles of the rows behind us; before they'd been relayed back from row to row, spectator to spectator; until worn out, secondhand, the size of a postage stamp, it returned to the projectionist's cabin. Maybe, too, the screen was really a screen. It screened us... from the world.
-- Matthew in "The Dreamers"

I saw this movie tonight. Here are my thoughts...

1.) What happened to the girl... I guessed correctly early on in the film.

2.) Casey Affleck's girlfriend... was she a robot? Yay for her being all strong and fearless, but I don't think she's human. I'm not sure why she never seems to question if she should get involved in all of these dangerous situations. She kinda just seemed like this robot that followed Casey Affleck around everywhere, programmed to do anything. I think she must have been built by NASA.

* And her opinion at the end of the film is also something a robot would probably say.

3.) I liked it, I could watch it again, but I think the film is nuts.

I enjoyed Mystic River, but this movie didn't do it for me. I felt it was a waste of time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched it last night. My rating:

This was much better than Mystic River, which I give
, although when this film started out, I wasn't totally convinced. I was almost having a complete flashback to the earlier film for awhile, but all of a sudden, this film came much more to life. This film's overall mystery was much more complex than Mystic River's. I'll admit that if you're awake, there is only one way to interpret some of the incident at the "lake", and that leads a certain direction, but you can't understand where it all will eventually take you. Even before that scene, there was some good suspense; this film did have many tense, exciting moments to go with its moral ambiguity.

As the film twists and turns back upon itself, it maintains all the audience's first impressions of the characters, but deepens most of them to show how things are never that black and white, but really that painful cliché of shades of gray. The verisimilitude of the film adds immeasurably to its quality. Kudos to director/co-scriptor Ben Affleck for using so many true Bostonian people and locations throughout the film. I haven't really mentioned the performances, but I thought that Casey Affleck was much more powerful here than in his nominated turn as The Coward Robert Ford. Amy Ryan obviously deserves her Best Supporting nom, and it's just a pleasure to see veterans Ed Harris, John Ashton, Morgan Freeman and Amy Madigan doing their best in something they obviously believe in.

I just watched this tonight. Talk about a movie that exceeds expectations. I cannot say that this is a 5 star film, because it just is not, but it certainly is a 4 star movie that I was expecting to be pretty average if not just plain bad. Great timing and wonderful acting. It certainly has a few flaws and was a bit predicatable in some ways, but nice film NTL. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

I thought it was ok. I'd give it 3.5/5. There was something that didn't quite sit right about it, something to do with poor people equalling ugly or morally feckless people.

Just finished the movie about 5 minutes ago. I'd rate it a 2.5/5. I felt that it was too predictable and it was extremely dull other than the somewhat interesting plot twist at the end. I had mixed thoughts about the outcome of the daughter, and I felt that whole scheme they made was simply retarded. I couldn't get in touch with the characters, other than the mother and Casey at the end.