Michael Clayton

→ in
Tools    

After a three-week drought (bleh), I've just posted another review. It's a review of Michael Clayton:

Michael Clayton

Earlier this year, a film called Fracture was released. It deviated from your standard legal thriller in several prominent ways. Michael Clayton deviates from the formula, too, but it does so subtly, and well enough that we barely even notice.

The film stars George Clooney as the titular Michael Clayton. He's a lawyer, but he refers to himself as a "janitor" because his job depends on cleaning up his clients' messes as much as it does his legal acumen. He's good at what he does, but he's not invincible, or a rising star in the legal world. He's in his late 40s, and worried about his future. Though he's genuinely invaluable, his duties require that he not be particularly visible, and when rumors of a merger circulate at his firm, he wonders if he's been so good at his job of keeping things quiet that no one will know it.

He receives word that his friend and colleague Arthur (Tom Wilkinson) has apparently lost his mind; he stripped down naked and started screaming at a deposition. This jeopardizes both the merger and the $3 billion class-action lawsuit Arthur was working on. He speaks of seeing the light for the first time, and wasting his life, and there's a certain poetry to his ramblings.

Beyond these facts, the plot is not of much consequence. As in any legal thriller, there's a large company involved, and they've done something wrong which they're attempting to cover up. It goes without saying that irrefutable proof of their wrongdoing (and subsequent cover up) is floating around. But Michael Clayton doesn't fall into the cliche of trying to build suspense over just what it is the company (dubbed "uNorth") has done wrong. We've seen enough of these to get the basic idea; they've harmed ordinary people and will go to virtually any length to hide it. We get some specifics, but they are (wisely) not the film's climax.

The film is also set apart from other entries in the genre by the humanity of its characters. Michael Clayton fits no obvious stereotype; he has a gambling problem, and an unreliable brother who's left him with a mountain of debt after a failed business venture. He's good at his job, but he's no action star. At times, he avoids death by sheer luck.

Michael Clayton even humanizes its villains. Tilda Swinton, primarily, is shown as nervous and apprehensive about what's going on. We see her hastily practicing her responses before an interview, and realize that while she's doing terrible things, she's not evil. This is a film that is not content to paint horns on its bad guys and leave it at that. Every character is three-dimensional, and the movie goes to great lengths to show us that even good people can allow themselves to become part of bad things.

The result is a film of incredible nuance that inevitably lacks a typical message. If there is a message, it is this: real life is always more complicated than the movies would have you believe.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I saw this over the weekend and really liked it. It's universally well cast, particularly Swindon: my first thought was "I'm never sure, looking at her, that she's an earthling", but her portrayal of this character is one of the most human performances I've ever seen. I felt the film combined a surprising amount of heart (for the genre) with a very satisfying conclusion.

George Clooney is gold baby! :d

Good review, Yoda. I just rewatched Michael Clayton. It's really one of the top films of the legal thriller genre. It doesn't create suspense by hiding plot points from us; rather it lays everything on the table. But, due to an extremely well-written script and choice directing and editing, it's gripping from beginning to end.

The acting is also really good. Nobody plays a top bitch like Tilda Swinton, and Sydney Pollack was among that elite breed of Hollywood stars who are/were not only solid directors, but solid actors (and producers) as well. George Clooney and Tom Wilkinson are spot-on too.

The web woven between and around the characters played by these four actors demonstrates the compromises that key players at major firms - corporations and law offices - make that lead them to forsake the public interest; and imagines an extreme, but still believable, situation that might lead someone to no longer play along.

It's one of those films in which nobody ever smiles, and the atmosphere is one of twilight - of constantly teetering on the edge of the lighter or darker aspects of our natures.

8.8/10

I have to say that I didn't expect much of Michael Clayton. But it has grown on me in such a way, reassuring me with it's decided desolate aura, that I owe a review to those in a doubtful measure.

Although it starts with some idle comings and goings, the first reaction we have is to alienate with Clayton. He is battered down, morally ambiguous, suffered. If one watches closely his eyes, one can discover within how a feeling of despair takes over. Clooney is a very happy, cheerful guy: you will appreciate his work, how he lets Clayton dominate Clooney.

In here, the lawyer of the title must decide which side to take in an important lawsuit after his friend changes sides and endangers himself. Is he helping the good guys? How can he tell, deep Inside? The film carries the moral dilemmas, the strangled fight between choosing the good and the correct. Gilroy commanded a brilliant, harrowing script. But Clooney is the definite star, with his sadness, empathy. His sorrow is deeply moving.