Hotseat! Grill a MoFo: Caitlyn

Tools    

It is not very often that our sometimes shy, sometimes flinty and always wise Caitlyn voluntarily steps into the limelight, so let us (ab)use this opportunity appropriately!

Ms Caitlyn:

Edward Scissorhands is a road we have traversed once or twice in the past. What about it do you specifically identify with? Appearances being deceiving? Do you feel you are unfinished in some way? Something else?

I know that you identify very strongly with your heritage. Was there a specific event that sparked this or is it something that you grew up with?

I suspect that material things don't really hold much value for you, but do you have something perhaps sentimental that you've always kept close to you? If so what is it?

I asked this question to Iroquois and will likely ask all participants because the answer to the question tells me things. If you were a color, what color would you be and why?

I have a few easier ones too. What perfume do you wear most?

What shampoo do you use?

Do you feel that you've really danced with the devil? What would the devil be to you?

Good for now. I don't want to deluge you with my inanity

1) Edward Scissorhands is a road we have traversed once or twice in the past. What about it do you specifically identify with? Appearances being deceiving? Do you feel you are unfinished in some way? Something else?

Ouch… first question and I already feel the screws…
Hmm… think I'll come back to this one when I've had more time to think about it... (I just woke up).

2) I know that you identify very strongly with your heritage. Was there a specific event that sparked this or is it something that you grew up with?

Mainly something I grew up with… due to job circumstances beyond my parents control at the time, I lived with my Tsalagi grandparents and great grandparents when I was younger… and spent a lot of that time in the company of my great grandfather who was one of the elders… he taught me to be proud of both my Native and Irish heritage…

3) I suspect that material things don't really hold much value for you, but do you have something perhaps sentimental that you've always kept close to you? If so what is it?

And your suspicions would be correct Sir… material things do not hold much value for me… but I do have a pair of pearl handled pistols that were given to me by my great grandfather that have sentimental value to me… they originally belonged to his grandfather...

4) I asked this question to Iroquois and will likely ask all participants because the answer to the question tells me things. If you were a color, what color would you be and why?

Colors are very special to Native Spirituality and represent where we are on the journey we must take… but if I could choose, it would be white which represents peace, and tranquility… however, at present, my spirit color is red… which represents power and victory (i.e. the war club)…

5) I have a few easier ones too. What perfume do you wear most?

'Bout time... ... Channel No. 5

6) What shampoo do you use?

What ever is on sale… … at present, I think it is Pantene…

7) Do you feel that you've really danced with the devil? What would the devil be to you?

Actually I feel like I've 'danced' with the devil numerous times… and that he/she/it wears many faces ... and can be anyone from the lawyer who beats his wife... to the Church deacon who sells crack on Saturday night... to the boyfriend who rapes his girlfriends 11 month old daughter... to the store clerk who buys all the little boys candy and cokes after he rapes them and threatens to kill their parents.... to the gang member who climbs on the roof and decides to take pot shots at strangers with a high powered rifle....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

7) Do you feel that you've really danced with the devil? What would the devil be to you?

Actually I feel like I've 'danced' with the devil numerous times… and that he/she/it wears many faces ... and can be anyone from the lawyer who beats his wife... to the Church deacon who sells crack on Saturday night... to the boyfriend who rapes his girlfriends 11 month old daughter... to the store clerk who buys all the little boys candy and cokes after he rapes them and threatens to kill their parents.... to the gang member who climbs on the roof and decides to take pot shots at strangers with a high powdered rifle....
Let's explore that one a bit more. Where do you believe evil comes from? Does it have a source i.e. God is the source of good, Satan (or whatever archetype you want to use) is the source of evil? What is man's part in that? Or do you believe that man is both good and evil and which trait to employ lies within freewill? Or do you believe something different?

You mention your spirit color being red. Being that I'm ignorant to your belief system, I immediately wondered if colors follow a progression. Does red eventually turn to white, for example, as your journey winds down if you do things correctly?

Do you have a photograph that you look at more than any other photograph? If so, what or who is in the photo?

Who is the first person that made your heart beat fast (the good kind this time), besides myself of course

What was the first name of the first person you ever kissed (no family, don't try to hedge me I'll ask again )

What situation or event led to your first epiphany?

Do you wish I'd ask you about breakfast cereal?

What's your favourite part of your Irish heritage?

Where do you think your Irish and Tsalagi heritage intersect?

Let's explore that one a bit more. Where do you believe evil comes from? Does it have a source i.e. God is the source of good, Satan (or whatever archetype you want to use) is the source of evil? What is man's part in that? Or do you believe that man is both good and evil and which trait to employ lies within freewill? Or do you believe something different?

I'm not really sure of the origin of evil but it stands to reason if it didn't exist, we wouldn't realize what good was… but I guess this pretty much explains what I think:

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he replied, "the one I feed the most."

You mention your spirit color being red. Being that I'm ignorant to your belief system, I immediately wondered if colors follow a progression. Does red eventually turn to white, for example, as your journey winds down if you do things correctly?

I'm not very good at explaining this… but the colors are part of the medicine wheel which in turn is the symbol for the circle of life… and as such, is forever evolving with each lesson learned… so yes, red can become white or vice versa… or it could become blue which represents sorrow and defeat or black which I'm sure you can figure out… it all just depends on the truths you learn on your path…

Do you have a photograph that you look at more than any other photograph? If so, what or who is in the photo?

I lost the majority of my photographs during Katrina… but I had one of me with my siblings when we were all kids on my dresser that was always a favorite…

Who is the first person that made your heart beat fast (the good kind this time), besides myself of course

That was so long ago that I don't even remember his name… but it was a guy in 9th grade (I think) who reminded me of Greg Rainwater when he was in that tv series about the pony express…

What was the first name of the first person you ever kissed (no family, don't try to hedge me I'll ask again )

You can ask all day… but in all honesty, I don't remember his name… I do remember he was a couple of years older than my 4 though...

What situation or event led to your first epiphany?

I guess it would be when my oldest sister was killed in a car wreck…

Do you wish I'd ask you about breakfast cereal?

Somehow, I think my Cheerios would take on a whole new meaning....

Just a note.... I'm trying to answer these questions between working and sleeping... so please bear with me. I will get them all answered... even though they may not make any sense....

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I know I'm a newbie, but just give some random thoughts on The Seventh Seal. I'm not trying to push this any particular direction, but do you believe that it's intentionally funny at all? Whatever you believe is what I'd like to know. This a friendly grill.

Do you enjoy your job/career?

Who is your favorite actor and actress and why?

What do you think is worse in most instances: ignorance, or rebellion?

Welcome to the human race...
If you were stuck on a deserted island with only one means of entertaining yourself indefinitely, what would it be?

Ever seen Escape From New York?

Do you believe the ends justify the means?

Ever thought that the current state of Western civilization is a poor way for human beings to live?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Hi Cait!

There are tons of questions I would like to ask you...

One thing that I've been thinking about during the past few days is:

When the American Congress debate the issue of genocide of the Armenian minority by the Turkish army and militia in 1915, how do you react to that, as a native American?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I know I'm a newbie, but just give some random thoughts on The Seventh Seal. I'm not trying to push this any particular direction, but do you believe that it's intentionally funny at all? Whatever you believe is what I'd like to know. This a friendly grill.

Doesn't matter if you're a newbie Mark… ask away... but I need to think about this a bit more so will get back to you…

Do you enjoy your job/career?

There are times when I wonder if I have lost my mind… and I'm not sure the word enjoy would be the right one as, given what I do, could have numerous implications… but I do feel a deep need to do what I do and can't really imagine myself doing anything else…

Who is your favorite actor and actress and why?

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis -- Actress: Sigourney Weaver -- both are chameleons and seem to be able to adapt to whatever character they take on (if that makes sense)…

What do you think is worse in most instances: ignorance, or rebellion?

I think I'll fall back on one of my favorite quotes to answer this one:

'Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.' ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

If you were stuck on a deserted island with only one means of entertaining yourself indefinitely, what would it be?

Hard choice…since it's deserted, I'm assuming I wouldn't have any electricity and batteries would eventually go kaput… so it would have to be books... tons of them...

Ever seen Escape From New York?

A long time ago…so it's a bit sketchy… but it is one of the movies on my re-watch list…

Do you believe the ends justify the means?

I think it depends on the circumstances… and that one should weigh the consequences of any action they take very carefully…

Ever thought that the current state of Western civilization is a poor way for human beings to live?

Numerous times... but I don't think it is limited to just Western civilization…

Welcome to the human race...

Hard choice…since it's deserted, I'm assuming I wouldn't have any electricity and batteries would eventually go kaput… so it would have to be books... tons of them...
Well, maybe I should have specified that if anything were possible (i.e. the island had some real "deus ex machina" electricity supply), but anyway, to expand on your first answer: books. Alright, supposing for whatever reason you can only have one book to read over the indefinite length of time you spend on the island, what is it and why?

On another note, same situation except if you could be stuck on a desert island with a DVD player, infinite electricity and only one DVD, what DVD would it be?

One last one - have you ever tried your hand at drawing or writing (or both)? If so, tell us about it. Good? Bad? What?

Put me in your pocket...
Let's get into some more fantasy shall we?

If you could dream up your perfect mate, what would he be like (character as well as personality)?

I know being a copper is part of who you are...but just for fantasy sake....what would be an alterrnate dream job be for you?

If you could be a superhero and/or mystical creature, what would your powers be?

Dream vacation. If you had the money and time...where would you like to visit?

And of course...

Should women rule the world?

1. What would you do if you won the lottery?

2. If you were a tree, what kind would you be?

3. What's an animal that you hate?

4. What was your childhood like?

5. Finally, who let the dogs out? WOOF, WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!

Okay, I know you have a lot of Questions to answer, but hey - here are some more: (and I am gonna dig deep, you are on a grill after all)

1. Have you ever entertained the thought of being gay?
2. Have you ever had a one night stand?
3. Have you ever done anything criminal?
4. Do you like the movie: Flash Gordon ~ 1980?

Ms Caitlyn

1). Are we actually more than a sum collection of our parts? Do you believe in a 'soul'?

2). What is your favorite smell?

3). What is your favorite texture?

4). Do you believe that humankind is in its dawn or its dusk?

5). What is your definition of love?

6). Are you a weigh and measure or a gut feeling kind of girl?

And the screws turn....

Sorry I haven't gotten all the questions answered yet... I had to pull a double and when I got home, my power and cable was out because the storms killed a couple of trees down the road .... anyway, I will try to get to all of them tonight and tomorrow....