Horror Movie-a-thon

Tools    

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Alright kiddies, Halloween is just around the corner, and I am having a 31 Days of Halloween Spook-tacular. And I need you Mofos to help me. So if you please, name your favorite horror movies (no more than five please) and then tell me why and when I should show it. Thanks kids!

The Haunting (1963)
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922)

And I love any of the old spooky Vincent Price movies... he was the greatest....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The exorcist - The only movie to have me scared for a week after watching it (I was 8 when I watched it :P). I love the film and I assure you it's a great horror flick that is bound to scare.

Alright kiddies, Halloween is just around the corner, and I am having a 31 Days of Halloween Spook-tacular. And I need you Mofos to help me. So if you please, name your favorite horror movies (no more than five please) and then tell me why and when I should show it. Thanks kids!

Stanley Kubrick's'The Shining'

Why?: It's a classic creepy crazy Kubrick flick! One of my favorite Nicholson roles.
When?: Anytime really...

John Carpenter's 'Halloween'

Why?: I watch this one every Oct 31st, and it still creeps me out. The stalking scenes are just awesome and not to mention the erie theme music. Classico
When?: Christmas oh you know..

The Texax Chain Saw Massacre
(1974)

Why?: It's raw horror. Just the way it was shot is terrifying.
When?: Don't matta

Shaun of the Dead

Why?: For me when I have a horror movie night I like to throw in a movie that gives me laughs but still gives me gore just to change it up a bit. Peter Jackson's 'Dead-Alive' does this aswell.
When?: Inbetween some hardcore horrors

- The Blair Witch Project - creepiest movie I've seen, scared the bejesus out of me! Watch it in a basement, alone!
- A Nightmare on Elm Street - Watch it right before bed.
- Psycho
- Dawn of The Dead - either version, my fav. zombie flick!
- Strangeland - wicked movie about a guy who tortures people with body piercings.
- The Grudge/Ju-On - the kid creeps me out.

Don't be Afraid of the Dark

How can I resist a thread like this?
I'm a huge horror movie fan (and no wisecracks about my weight, if you please).

So I've got to limit myself to five? Hmmm....that's tough. Of course, the first three are no-brainers.

1. The Haunting (1963): best damn horror movie evah! No blood, no decapitated heads, no slashers in the closet, but scary as hell. I've seen it probably 20 times and still love the hell out of it every time I see it.

2. Night of the Living Dead (1968): Oh hell yeah. Romero crafted a milestone in the history of the horror film here. Mixed in with the horror of hordes of flesh eating zombies, there's some dark humor, and the extreme tension of the folks holed up in the house. This is a superb example of what you can do on a shoestring budget. Great writing beats great special effects. Every. Damn. Time.

3. Halloween (1978): Simply one of the most well crafted horror movies I've ever seen. This is John Carpenter's masterpiece. So many camera shots are just....perfect. Not to mention it's very, very scary. Freddy and Jason....meh. They can't come close to this.

...and after that it becomes a bit more problematic. So many good horror flicks to choose from (by the way, all of the suggestions above are worthwhile, although I'm not as great a fan of TCM as most folks are). Anyway, for numbers 4 and 5.

4. Psycho (1960): Hitchcock. Perkins. Words fail me. This movie is, quite simply, superb.

5. The Descent (2005): Lest you think I've got my head stuck in the past, great horror movies are still being made, and this is one of the best in recent years, IMNSHO. Six strong, capable women go spelunking, and it isn't long before they're lost in the dark, hurt, and desperate. And then things really get bad. I guarantee you'll be pulling your fingernails out of the chair arms before you're finished with this one.

1) Halloween
2)The Shining
3)The Blair Witch Project
4) Dawn of the Dead
5) The Evil Dead

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I don't like them too scary:

Fright Night
Night of the Comet
Grind House, Planet Terror because it fits Halloween best.
Embryo
Slither

Oops that's five already, so I guess I'd better stop.

*sigh*

Welcome to the human race...
My top five horrors, in no real order, are...

The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)

Since this hasn't been mentioned yet, I figure I'll explain it (the rest have been mentioned already, for reasons I agree with). The Thing works on every conceivable level. It has a literally chilling atmosphere (well, it is set in Antarctica during winter), a strong sense of fear and paranoia between characters (who's the Thing?) and of course, no review of The Thing is complete without the gory transformation scenes. You'll know the instant you see one of the huskies lie very still...probably my favourite straight horror movie ever.

The Evil Dead (Raimi, 1981)

Halloween (Carpenter, 1978)

The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Hooper, 1974)

Shining, Seven, The Sixth Sense, Bram Stoker's Dracula (can't help but to notice how bad special effects would be if Dracula was made today - the vampire would be annoyingly CGI, which means special effects were better 15 years ago, when it was all done with make-up and costumes)

I second the suggestions for Shaun of the Dead and Slither.
If you like some humor mixed in with the horror, these two are both great.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Thanks a lot guys. These are some great suggestions. Haloween, Night of the Living Dead, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre seem to be popular choices. Keep them coming though, you guys are awesome!

Lost in never never land
1. Frailty (not really a true horror film, and not a favorite film of mine, but very creepy)
2. Idenity (again, not a true horror film, more of thriller, but it would work well for your 31 nights of horror)
3. Repulsion (a very creepy movie, most people won't think it is that much of a horror film, but that is because of the gore films currently out)

Those are three that I would recommend. All good horror type films.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

The Adventure Starts Here!
I have to urge the 1968 Night of the Living Dead. I always start out watching it thinking, "Gee, what made me think this was so creepy before?" And by the halfway point I can't turn it off no matter what. And that ending ... pure ickiness. I always HOPE the ending will be different.... And it never is.

For fun, also watch either Ed Wood, or any movie BY Ed Wood. Yoda and I watched the Planet 9 from Outer Space movie and it was delightfully awful. So bad it defies logic.

Shaun of the Dead is great for laughs too, but is sophisticated and not bad. It's funny on purpose.

Another funny horror movie is Nothing But Trouble, with Dan Ayckroyd (did I spell that right?) and Chevy Chase. Suspenseful and creepy but hilarious too (back when Chevy Chase was still funny). John Candy is great too.

How about House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects? Very scary, icky movies. Eww.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Not my top 5 Horror Films, but a must watch during the HALLOWEEN season.

1. The Evil Dead

The ultimate experience in gruelling terror. A Must Watch.

2. Nightmare On Elm Street

Most popular horror icon? I think so. 1, 2...Freddy's coming for you.

3. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

A twist you won't see coming, still chilling to this day.

4. Black Christmas

Not that crappy remake, the scary Canadian original, with a chilling ending.

5. Session 9

Not the 'scariest' film here, but definetly the creepiest.

Honourable Mention: Halloween, Exorcist III, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Jacob's Ladder, Suspiria

Suspect's Reviews

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
The Thing (1982)
Fright Night (1985)
Near Dark (1987)

~~~~~~~

Rosemary's Baby (1968) ~ I just watched this, and love it.
Burnt Offerings (1976)
The Changeling (1980)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Haunting (1963) . . .

This list could go on for a long time. Look up Mr. Vincent Price.

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
The Thing (1982)
Fright Night (1985)
Near Dark (1987)

~~~~~~~

Rosemary's Baby (1968) ~ I just watched this, and love it.
Burnt Offerings (1976)
The Changeling (1980)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Haunting (1963) . . .

This list could go on for a long time. Look up Mr. Vincent Price.
I agree with all of those, except maybe Halloween II. It wasn't a bad movie; I just thought it was kind of uninspired. I actually liked Halloween IV better, but that's just me.