French waves

→ in
Tools    

.. What French films you can pop up in ur mind right now?..Which French actor(s) or actress(es) do you like.?

Of all time, or just the younger generation today?

If we're talking French Film in the largest sense, I've always loved Francois Truffaut, he'd be my number one, top of the tops. The 400 Blows (1959) and Jules & Jim (1960) are still my favorites among favorites. Probably not surprisingly given that bit of info, Jean Moreau has always been a favorite actress.

Other French Film favorites? Definitely Clouzot's Diabolique (1955), one of the greatest psychological thrillers ever made (what a disgrace the American re-make was). A lot of Godard's work of course (Weekend, Breathless, Pierrot le Fou). And then there's Renoir's The Rules of the Game (1939) and Grand Illusion (1937), which are just timeless and magnificent.

In more modern French cinema, I love Caro & Jeunet (Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children), Jeunet's first solo flick Amelie, and Luc Besson (Final Combat, The Big Blue, la femme Nikita, Leon).

I thought Taxi (1998) was a lot of fun, though I haven't seen the sequel yet.

I don't know what else. Nothing terribly obscure is jumping immediately to mind.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Solid list "Holden", you have mentioned most of my faves. Luc Besson, Truaffaut, Goodard and Juenet and Caro are the directors ones I own and love.

Also add Jean Pierre Melville to the list of fave French directors. "Le Samourai" alone qulaifies the man as a master and all his films are worthy of several viewings.

Have to mention "Mathieu Kassovitz" who directed 2 films that I own and rank, "La Haine" and "The Crimson Rivers".

My fave French Actor at the moment is still undoubtedly "Jean Reno"- he has a subtle charm and confidence that comes across perfectly onscreen, escpecially when in the able hands of Luc Besson.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there are heaps of other quality french directors Ive forgotten.

Im really, really excited about Brotherhood of the wolf, looks great. Love that kinda slow motion filming stuff.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I like lots of movies from lots of different countries. For me, some french movies are great & a lot of fun (example: Celine and Julie Go Boating), but others feel really pretentious and needlessly arty (Romance from 1999). Still, as far as non-american movies go, I'd rather watch a great french movie than, say, a great spanish movie. I don't know why, I guess that's just my personal preferences talking.

I really love Max Ophuls, most especially The Earrings of Madame De.... Such a wonderful movie! I love his style, the way everything flows together so seamlessly, the photography, the crazy camera movements. The way he makes movies, are why I love them so much.

Godard is good. I like him a lot, except he's not infallible - anyone see Hail Mary ? My favorites of his are Breathless and Weekend.

I also really love Jules and Jim by Francois Truffaut, La Belle Noiseuse by Jacques Rivette, that movie Claire's Knee , Rules of the Game , Diabolique and Wages of Fear by Henri Clouzout, Orpheus and Beauty and the Beast by Cocteau, Vagabond by Agnes Varda, Autumn Tale , all of Patrice Leconte's work - Monsieur Hire , The Hairdresser's Husband, Ridicule , Girl on the Bridge , and The Widow of St. Pierre. There's lots of other ones I really like.

This year I've seen two amazing French movies - The Widow of St. Pierre and Amelie .

Good thread topic. Maybe TWT will post!

hey you guys heard about" under the Sand"? by Francois Ozon. A story about a married couple, set in the rythms of a life spent together. As they begin their regular holiday at their country house, nothing seems amiss. The vacation is relaxing. One day at the beach. Marie(Charlotte Rampling) naps in the sand, while Jean(Bruno Cremer)goes for a swim. When she awakes , she cannot find him. She returns to Paris alone. She cannot live without him. she keeps Jean very much alive in her ivivd imagination..... it is a touchy film. should check out. and the acting was...

I just mentioned it the other day in the Amelie thread. I have always loved Charlotte Rampling, and I was very impressed with her performance in Under the Sand (which was released theatrically in The States back in May and June). I think it'll probably disappoint lots of American audiences, those who will want the mystery aspect played up, an avenue which is abandoned very quickly for a very interesting and resonant emotional character study.

Under the Sand is one of the better films I've seen this year. A well-made look at how the mind deals with grief and change.

Woo... it is been a longtime....................too bad Steve. TWT never interested in this Topic.

by away amelie is GOOOD

Nope, I'm not much of a foreign film guy. I don't even watch all American flicks yet. I've got a way to go. I do plan to broaden my cinematic experiences, though, if I'm ever fortunate enough to find a way to semi-live off of this site. That'll justify the time.

So many good movies, so little time.
Also add Jean Pierre Melville to the list of fave French directors. "Le Samourai" alone qulaifies the man as a master and all his films are worthy of several viewings.
I saw Le Samourai last night. It was teremendous.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

history *is* moralizing
I've always loved Francois Truffaut, he'd be my number one, top of the tops. The 400 Blows (1959) and Jules & Jim (1960) are still my favorites among favorites.
yep. but i do prefer his
Baisers volés (Stolen Kisses) (1968)
Domicile conjugal (Bed & Board) (1970)
and
L'Amour en fuite (Love on the Run) (1979)
that follow 400 Blows , same character, developping over the years.
(Truffaut was born February the sixth, too)

weird that no one mentioned Jean-Jacques Beineix, is he totally unknown in the States??
that would be a shame
in my opinion,
Diva (1981)
La Lune dans le caniveau (the Moon in the Gutter) (1983)
and 37°2 le matin (Betty Blue) (1986)
are must.

no fans of Jean-Luc Godard around either?