Favorite Romance Movies...i.e."chick flicks"

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Following L.B.Jefferies's lead...I want you to post your favorite Romantic movies,,,I know you guys are emotional too... Here's some of mine:

* As Good as it Gets
*City of Angels
* Far and Away
* Great Expectations
* Jerry McGuire
*Bridget Jones's Diary
*Legends of the Fall
*Reality Bites
*Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
*Romeo & Juliet

These are just some...

jane eyre (orson welles, joan fontaine)
ghost and mrs. muir (gene tierney, rex harrison)
now, voyager (bette davis, paul henried)
goodbye mr. chips (greer garson, robert donat)
wuthering heights (merle oberon, laurence olivier)
when harry met sally (meg ryan, billy crystal)

ahhhhh....beeeeeuuuuteeefullllllll stories

"As Good As It Gets" is as much a comedy as it is a romance, to me...it's really hilarious. I love that movie. I agree with "Jerry MaGuire" as well...it's one of those movies that I enjoy for reasons I can't really explain.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by OG-
Titanic
Hmmmmm, yeah...steamy sex scene in the car...nice.

No such thing as a "chick flick" in my book, just good movies and bad movies.

• Casablanca (1942 - Michael Curtiz)
    "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life." There's much more to this great film than just a love story of course, but the Rick-Ilsa-Laszlo triangle is key, and the on-screen romantic history, past & present, between Bogart & Bergman has got to be the tops of the tops. If you don't absolutely love this movie, I suspect you aren't really human.
  • Bringing Up Baby (1938 - Howard Hawks)
    "It's not that I don't like you, Susan, because after all, in moments of quiet I'm strangely drawn toward you, but...well, there haven't been any quiet moments." One of the best Screwballers ever made has, at it's center, super-flighty Susan Vance (Katharine Hepburn) doing literally ANYthing to get the attention of uptight paleontologist David Huxley (Cary Grant). Elevates the sincere but misguided hair-pulling and name-calling we all know from the sandbox to a brontosaurus-bone-burying dog and a couple escaped leopards bent on seemingly ruining the good Doctor's career and bringing these two crazy kids together. Aaaah, love.
  • Truly, Madly, Deeply (1991 - Anthony Minghella)
    "Thank you for missing me." It's kinda like Ghost for grown-ups who have half a brain not reliant on Hollywood bullsh!t. A beautifully told if simple tale of losing the love of your life, collapsing in despair, being led back to life by that love, then set free to live again. Juliet Stevenson, Alan Rickman, and Michael Maloney are all perfect, and the balance between very funny, quite sad, and ultimately hopeful is artfully achieved by Minghella. This one makes me cry every time I watch it, and I've probably seen it over twenty-five tmes.
  • Amélie (2001 - Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
    "No. I'm nobody's little weasle." I've only seen this three times now, just in the past two weeks (went again last night), but it is already one of my very favorite movies ever. Purely Romantic, purely comedic, uniquely and vibrantly told. If you haven't already, check out the existing thread HERE for more about this wonderfully wonderful film.
  • Far From the Madding Crowd (1967 - John Schlesinger)
    "If I can believe in any way that I could make you a good wife, I will indeed be willing to marry you...but I cannot promise yet, and I have not promised tonight." Thomas Hardy's novel brilliantly adapted by Frederick Raphael and lovingly brought to the screen by Schlesinger. A period piece love story that is actually as romantic and involving as the pastoral vistas are sweeping and beautiful. Alan Bates, Peter Finch and Terence Stamp are all excellent vying for the affections of Julie Christie (and who could blame them?). Too often overlooked.
  • Notorious (1946 - Alfred Hitchcock)
    "Say it again, it keeps me awake." Hitch's romantic spy thriller, with the driving love that Devlin (Cary Grant) and Alicia Huberman (Ingrid Bergman) won't allow themselves to surrender to and forgive all past sins putting her into the gravest of danger over wine bottles filled with radioactive sand. But can that love save her? The finale on the steps, with bluffs, pistols in pockets, and declarations of love as they make their escape is grade-A stuff.
  • The Lady Eve (1941 - Preston Sturges)
    "I need him like the ax needs the turkey." Another fantastic screwballer, this one with that special Sturges sensibilty. Barbara Stanwyk is a con artist who begins falling for a rich, bumbling zoologist (Henry Fonda) who professes love for snakes over people. The schemes and devices she uses to trap her man are often hilarious. A very sweet and very funny movie.
  • Modern Romance (1981 - Albert Brooks)
    "OK, let me ask you something: if a person's not home, and you start driving around their house, and you drive around, around, and around, and you start driving around the city, you're going ninety miles-an-hour, and you're calling them every four seconds, and you don't think of anything else, what is that? Is that not love?" For me, nobody does neurotic obsession and make me laugh about it like Albert Brooks. Here watching him talk and worry his way in and out of a relationship with Mary (Kathryn Harrold) reaffirms my faith in love and myself. After all, even I can't be that bad...I don't care what that Restraining Order says.
  • When Harry Met Sally... (1989 - Rob Reiner)
    "The fact that you're not answering leads to believe that a) you're not home, b) you're home but you don't want to talk to me, or c) you're home, desperately want to talk to me, but you're trapped under something heavy. If it's either a) or c), please give me a call." OK, so what if it is just Reiner & Ephron doing Woody Allen, they did it so damn well. Crystal and Ryan are at their best, the supporting players are all perfect too, and it's chock full of about four dozen quoteable lines in examining the eternal question: can men & women just be friends?
  • Say Anything... (1989 - Cameron Crowe)
    "I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen." I think Crowe's first directorial effort is still his best. A perfect and odd script brought to life by John Cusack, Ione Skye and John Mahoney, it moves beyond the familiar High School love story mini-genre and creates something special. It's just good and addictive. How can you not be pulling for Lloyd Dobbler?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amelie.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	12292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anything.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	12293  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
I don't really believe in the " chick flick" thing either, I just put it in the title because SOME guys can't be honest about romantic movies. Ya know, it's like admitting they enjoyed Shakespear in Love,( which is another one of my favorites) is like admitting they have emotions like a woman, or something.
* High Fidelity
* Untamed Heart
* Chasing Amy
* My Best Friend's Wedding( I know, it's a Julia Roberts film, but Cameron Diaz and Rupert Evertt were so good.)

i never saw Titanic....i get this stubborness goin', wherein i WON'T see a movie because it is sooooo hyped and so massively praised by the general public....it's an entirely different thing if a movie is raved about critically...it's some kind of snobbery i'm sure....anti "everybody's doin it, seein' it, lovin' it...." heh heh

i know i've missed out on some good movies because of this, but i can always rent them.

"My Best Friend's Wedding" -- now THAT is a romantic comedy, people. Great, great movie...though not necessarily realistic. Cameron Diaz and Julia Roberts are both fighting over this guy? Yeah, right.

I love Romantic type movies here's a few that I really enjoy.

Jerry Maguire (1996)
Jerry Maguire: I love you. You... complete me.
Dorothy Boyd: Shut up. Just shut up. You had me at "hello."

When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
Harry Burns: I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

Beautiful Girls (1996)

Regarding Henry (1991)

Manhattan (1979)
Party Guest: I finally had an orgasm, and my doctor said it was the wrong kind.
Isaac Davis: You had the wrong kind? I've never had the wrong kind, ever. My worst one was right on the money.

To Catch a Thief (1955)

Grumpy Old Men (1993)

Talk of the Town, The (1942)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
Martha: You make me puke.
George: That wasn't a very nice thing to say, Martha

Frank Capra is my favorite director of this type of Genre his stories have so much in them not just Romance but it's a treat to see some of my favorite actresses Jean Arthur,Joan Fontaine and Barbara Stanwyck falling I love with the everyday men like Jimmy Stewart,Clark Gable,Gary Cooper and Cary Grant.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Meet John Doe (1941)
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Guy
Leon, Sleepless, Bridget Jones', Jerry Mag, Princess Bride, Annie Hall, Something About Mary, and Crouching Tiger (Leaving Las Vegas is probably my favorite)

I'm a sucker for chick flicks

we've discussed john hannah recently (Sliding Doors)...talk about a romantic fella, we all fell in love with him. his was one of the most romantic/lovable roles i can think of. now which one of these smilies represents "warm and fuzzy all over"? ?

and i liked Great Expectation's but Ethan Hawke just has a smidgen too much of the "grunge element" to float my boat. not that "grunge" is bad- ethan is just missing something. uma would probably disagree.
FYI; "uma" means "horse"- - - horse thurman......sounds like a boxer.

Now With Moveable Parts
again I say," Sliding Doors."-best romantic movie.

I'd say "Good Will Hunting" would have to be somewhere up there. It's very subtle...but I found it very interesting. He just wasn't willing to say what she wanted him to...and she kept at it. She was willing to do whatever it took, it seemed, despite the way he acted. Whether or not that's to be admired remains to be seen, but I thought it was interesting.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by OG-
Actually...L.A. Story, if you count it.
It counts. So does Goodwill Hunting.

goodwill hunting?....ughhhh...it's just that Matt Damon is so horsefaced....bleck.
but i know we all have our favorites.

i see that sades listed High Fidelity...i'd definitely have to add that one to my list too.

and LBJ! i've been too afraid of Virginia Woolf to consider "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" a romantic movie - but i guess it is. their relationship/romance? just scared the sh*t out of me.

Radioactive Spider Blood
I don't know if you would consider it a chick flick, but I always get sappy when I watch Mr. Holland's Opus.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Good, I'm not the only one that does.

I would say that yes, Mr. Holland's Opus could be a good chick flick if you get the right girl to sit down and watch it with you.

Personally, I don't find movies that girls find to be chick flicks...chick flicks. I mean yeah, it might have a toucy moment, but it's overshadowed by poor acting, or a miscast.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

i've never agreed with the term "chick flic", but i always know what people are referring to, generally, when they use that term.