Best Canadian Flick

Tools    

Donkey Punch-Drunk Love
I would like to represent the Great White North for this thread, being from Vancouver, BC. (2010 Olympics) What in your mind is the best Canadian movie? Doesnt have to be from Canada, but Canada is either a main setting or a key element to the movie?

IMDB named Trailer Park Boys: The Movie the best Canadian produced film.

I really liked Men With Brooms, kinda cheesy, but a good laugh and Leslie Nielsen.

We did have a thread on this once upon a time, right HERE, but it only got a few responses.

Even though Don McKellar's second film as director, Childstar, was a disappointment, I absolutely adore Last Night. Just watched it again a couple weeks ago after I went through all of "Twitch City" (which was finally released onto DVD - yippee!). McKellar is definitely a name I look for either as actor, writer or director. The films he's been involved with, from Last Night to The Red Violin, Highway 61, 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, eXistenZ and Exotica, they've been some of the best and most interesting films to come from Canada in the past fifteen-plus years.

Atom Egoyan is probably the Canadian filmmaker who has gotten the most consistent critical praise in recent years. Really starting with The Adjuster (1991) and Exotica (1994) but exploding to its highest level with The Sweet Hereafter (1997), which garnered him Oscar nominations for his adapted screenplay (though he lost to L.A. Confidential) and his direction (though he lost to Jimmy Cameron and the Titanic juggernaut). Of his films since then Ararat is great, Felicia's Journey is OK and Where the Truth Lies is pretty dreadful, but he's still a guy I look for.

If I had to pick one movie that pretty much sums up what Canadian cinema can be, I'd go with Jesus of Montreal (1989 - Denys Arcand), and Arcand's The Decline of the American Empire (1986) and The Barbarian Invasions (2003) are also top-notch.

And you can't have a Canadian cinema thread and not at least mention the name David Cronenberg, who's great career speaks for itself.

As far as a few masterpieces shot in Canada but not set there, Eastwood's Unforgiven (1992) and Malick's Days of Heaven (1978) were shot on the open plains of Alberta, while Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) was filmed in the mountains north of Vancouver, BC.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

So many good movies, so little time.
Two of my favorite Canadian Movies are

Atanarjuat (2001) (The Fast Runner) and Black Robe (1991). I think they are two of the best portrayals of early native American life (Inuit and Algonguin and Mohawk).

Two beautifully filmed, very realistic movies.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

A Christmas Story
Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
Crash (1996)
Exotica
L'Homme Qui Plantait Des Arbres (The Man Who Planted Trees)

Sadly, and pathetically, I have yet to see The Sweet Hereafter.

Horrorphiliac

Originally Posted by JBriscoe
A Christmas Story
A Christmas Story was Canadian? I own but have yet to watch that one. Heard it was good.

I enjoyed Maurice Richard (2005) that I saw in theatre last year. Thought it gave a decent portrayal of the life of the 'Rocket'.

Oh and I also liked 'Porky's' lol.

Beowulf and Grendel!!!!
I really liked it...
It was filmed in Iceland .. was that breath taking...

there is a documentary soon to be released about
the filming of B&G.. it looks really good....
Wrath of Gods... I watched the trailer at the web site with that same name and I am hooked...
this is better than the movie....

I would love to know if anyone else has seen B&G..or has heard
about Wrath of Gods.....

cheers

a christmas story
canadian bacon
and the marilyn manroe one filmed in niagra falls, i think its just called niagra

-The Breakfast Club

Here is one I just watched and now has offically become one of my fav. Canadien made flicks.

It's called FOOLPROOF and stars Ryan Reynolds along with a couple other actors I haven't seen before with the villain being David Suchet who 'Is' relatively known and has key roles in such movies like Executive Decision or the detective in 'A Perfect Murder' which are two of my favorites.

Not a bad flick to be honest. Was well worth my five bucks.

ya my favorite is fargo

Originally Posted by brian123321
ya my favorite is fargo
I wish Fargo was a Canadien made flick. They werent even Canadiens in the movie.

Originally Posted by JBriscoe
ahem...its spelt CanadiAn, eh
Well I grew up a big fan of "The Montreal Canadiens"... the NHL hockey team so it's just how I spell Canadiens when I say it. Sue me.

who else is canadian besides me?

Originally Posted by MovieActivist
I only know of Myself, 'Gummo' and 'The Usual Suspect'. I'm sure there are more though.

Well I grew up a big fan of "The Montreal Canadiens"... the NHL hockey team so it's just how I spell Canadiens when I say it. Sue me.
well...seeing as I'm a loyal Canadiens fan, you are forgiven, and I will even go as far as to apologize

How can I be weak,I'm Rather Unique
I live here but I'm not Canadian :P

Treed Murray and C.r.a.zy are my favorites, also the only two cdn films I have seen LOL.

My favourite is probably Elvis Gratton II: Miracle à Memphis ('99).

This is one that came out recently and has gotten very good reviews that I aim to get soon.