Star Trek XI

Tools    

www.forumninja.com
That's the big rumor, isn't it? Damon as Kirk? Wouldn't be a bad choice.

IMDB lists Damon as Kirk, I guess this will be a "young Kirk" hopefully.

www.forumninja.com
I believe the new Star Trek film is indeed envisioned as a prequel.

I am conflicted over this prequel with studio understanding and fangirl annoyance. I am a devotee to Star Trek (yes, I've been to conventions) and I grew up watching Next Generation but my favourite series is The Original but all of the incarnations have a special place in my heart.

I understand why the company wants to do a prequel. Nemisis didn't perform as well as expected and Enterprise got cancelled after only 4 seasons (which was a mistake). They want to breathe new life into the series and to bring new fans on board.

I don't like what they are doing though. The characters of Kirk, Spock, and Bones are some of the most classic and beloved characters in all of pop culture and William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and Deforest Kelley have been immortalized as a result. I think it is a huge mistake to try and remake those characters in a prequel academy movie. Not only will there be a standard to which the script be held to but the actors will be critized endlessly for even their best work and will come against some strong fan resistance.

Although, I do understand why they might want to do this.

I think the studio should start with new characters to go along with the new setting. Or pick some of the other characters that aren't so immortalized and do and Academy story on them. Such as Tom Paris from VGR, Worf from TNG, Archer from ENT, Uhura from TOS, Quark from DS9, etc. All are beloved characters but not in the same way as the infamous trio.

Will I go see this new movie in theatres?....sadly yes.

This is the first I've heard about Matt Damon playing Kirk. Thats okay I guess. I would have gone with somebody a little less well known and therefore easier to lock in for sequels. Such as Jason Dohring (Veronica Mars), Robert Clark (Strange Days at Blake Holsey High), or Kyle Brandt (Days of Our Lives). I think the latter looks most like Shatner.

Wonder who they will get to play Spock and Bones. Bones was my favourite and whoever they get has to have that home-grown, uncharacteristic, and underlying sexiness to them.

PS the poster is classy

Someone needs their fill.
Ok, I'm a little out of the loop on this one. MATT DAMON AS KIRK? Fine. Is there any word whether this will actually be the story of the Romulan War, bring back some of the Enterprise characters?

You ready? You look ready.
Well, they haven't officially said anything about it being a prequel. And I don't think they'll do a prequel. Too much of a back story already made from the series they have no need to do it. Quite frankly, I hope they keep everyone from the last one and put a good twist on it. We'll just have to wait until 2008. I think I'm going to cry now.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The proposed story, stated on StarTrek.com, was to focus on the early days of James T. Kirk and Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and their first mission in space. J.J. Abrams has since indicated this may not be the case.

Read further here.

Although, one thing I am okay with is J.J. Abrams directing it. I loved the early seasons of Alias and Lost is just fantastic, so he does have some talent. I haven't seem M1:3 yet though.

On IMDB.com, it lists the writers but they are not Brannon Braga and crew who have been involved with the show since TNG and were passed the torch when Roddenberry died. Why is that?

Matt Damon as James Tiberius Kirk? LOL. No Way. uh-uh. Not a good idea. Damon will be asking for a WORLD of S**t from some of the most devoted (psychotic) fans of any kind. They won't give him a chance to succeed before they start ripping him (or anyone else for that matter) a new a** in all the movie forums out there. I just started watching some of the various Star Trek movies and various series spin offs, and I can honestly say, I could never picture anyone else playing Capt. (or Admiral) Kirk. Not after seeing William " I over emphasize the natural way to pause between words" Shatner play him for so long. I'd be waiting for Damon to pause between words during all of his monolog and i would start to get weirded out if he didn't do
it.

Someone needs their fill.
Hmm, well I am planning to see William Shatner at a con September the 1st-3rd in Toronto. So maybe I could bring up the new Star Trek film to see if he's directly involved.

I like staw wars better.

Beware The Probe!
I definately like the newly invisioned original Enterprise...

Might be a good idea if you resized your pictures before you post them Nice pictures I am a big Star Trek fan

I just know they're coming to kill me.
That is such an awesome picture of the Enterprise in space.

Consider it my new background.