Clerks II

→ in
Tools    

Clerks II
(2006 - Kevin Smith)

I'm not one to write a long movie review, so I'll keep this short. Clerks II opens up 10 years after the original, in black and white, with a 33 year old Dante Hicks (Brian O'Halloran) opening up the good ol' Quick Stop, where he's been working for the past ten years, only to find that it is on fire. Suddenly, the world gets a little color. Dante and his longtime friend Randal Graves (Jeff Anderson) find out they finally have to get new jobs, so they go to Mooby's, a McDonalds-esque fast food joint seen in other Kevin Smith movies. There, they meet their boss Becky (Rosario Dawson) and a 19 year-old Lord of the Rings and Transformers fan named Elias (Trevor Fehrman). As the movie progresses, Dante and Randal finally "grow up" and try to do something with their lives. Hilarity ensues. As usual, Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Kevin Smith) make their appearances in this movie.

Chock full of racial tension, messing with food, Hellen Keller, Anne Frank, and the usual cameos from Ben Affleck and Jason Lee, Clerks II proves to be a good sequel to the beloved Clerks of 12 years ago. There are some parts in the movie that are supposed to be funny, but really aren't, but most of it had the audience laughing.

Overall, I would rate the movie as good, but not as good as the first Clerks.

Clerks II gets a B+
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

-
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Seeing it tonight, expect a review in my thread.

Suspect's Reviews

Just got back from seeing it and I was laughing all the way through. One thing I really liked was in the original Randall was the cool guy who ripped on everything. but in this one you really see him that he's really sort of sad and everyone is sick of his antics. Has many throwbacks to the original Clerks while still keeping things new. The best scene has to be the Star Wars vs. lord of the Rings argument. The whole theater was laughing.

Im not much for writing reviews but out of his movies I perfer this more than mallrats, jersey girl and jay and silent bob strike back but not better than Clerks, Chasing Amy and Dogma.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I saw it on Friday night and loved it!!! I couldn't agree more Taxi Driver, the Star Wars vs LOTR dialogue was outstanding! It was kind of sad to see Randall like that because he was my favorite character from the first movie, but that said, I wouldn't have changed anything about his character this time around. I have to tell what I am disappointed about is that more people here aren't talking about it. I hoped it would get more discussion around here, but maybe people haven't had chance to see it yet.

So many good movies, so little time.
Did any one else notice the similarities between this and The Pope of Greenwich Village?

Although this was like The Pope of Greenwich Village on crack.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by uconjack
Did any one else notice the similarities between this and The Pope of Greenwich Village?

Although this was like The Pope of Greenwich Village on crack.

www.forumninja.com
I thought it was terrific. I'm a big fan of both the original Clerks and Dogma, but I actually thought this was better. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's the kind of movie Kevin Smith has been trying to make all along: breezy, nerdy, gross, hilarious, and even a little poignant. It's not a PERFECT movie, but it's pretty darn good.

funny at times but not as good as the original

You ready? You look ready.
The entire thing was pretty much tasteless and pointless. I only laughed about 3 times through the entire movie. The rest of the time I was laughing at every one's reactions. This movie isn't even deserving of my C-. However, I was with friends. Had I not been with friends, it would have been a D-. Don't bother to watch this film, it's a complete waste of money.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

clearks2 was so funny
i laughed the whole time and laughed hardest on the part when jay gets hit by the door and the kinky kelly show

I got everything i expected from a Kevin Smith movie. I went in expecting to laugh at "dumb humor for smart people", as it is called. And i believe it is pretty dumb, but i just about had a hernia laughing so hard. I expected nothing from the movie as far as cinematography, and i was not dissapointed.

The end was a bit mooshy, but i must say i thought Jeff Anderson pulled it off pretty well. I think kevin did the right thing ending it the way he did, no matter what i personally think about it.

And please...Mr. Smith, is that your wife in another large role? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it was a poor choice indeed...

First off, Joel Siegel is enititled to his opinion, but god is he a douche. Anyway, for those who have seen Clerks II and think that it just low brow rambling about LOTR and beastiality, I say take a hike. Clerks II is a hilarious, and real look at the lives of each individual in it trying to make a change, and realizing that your station in life is what it is for a reason. Of course we get the beastiality and racial slurs along the way, but that is what is so great about all of Smith's films, they are heartwarming and stomach turning at the same time. It is a balance that has created six stellar films (I exclude Jersey Girl lol) each of which I love dearly, and maybe this one the most. Say what you will but some of today's hottest stars couldn't touch Jeff Anderson and Brian O'Halloran on their best day. These guys are the real deal and I must agree, Anderson's tender speech towards the ending of the film worked and succeeded in bringing a tear to my eye, because it was true to life, and the idea of a lasting friendship. The rest of the dialouge as always, is comic gold. The "donkey show" is certainly on the verge of crossing the line as far as MPAA standards are concerned, but I believe they have accepted the fact that with Smith there can be no line, because if there was, we would have lost this incredible film and five others we hold so dear.

The thing that impressed me about the marketing for this movie is that one gets exactly what they desire when they go in. We all know what that is: vulgarity and humor with a wee bit of humility and humanity salted on top for flavor. Certainly it is not as cinematically original as the first, which is one reason the first became so popular, but it is a good sequel. If you did not enjoy the first film you certainly should not expect much more from this 2nd installment. Smith has grown up neither in character nor in real life and thank god for that. Mr. Peter Pan seems to understand the “I will never grow up” attitude of his fan base and he does not care what the “Grown ups” think. I admire this. It is easy for those in the right shoes to identify with many of the characters in the film and to appreciate how humor is a wonderful medicinal-like alleviation of “life”. On the other hand it is not for everyone, especially the critics and the intelligent who do not like to “let go” now and then (This is not an insult, just an opinion). The characters themselves are who they are and who they have always been and if you loved or hated them before your opinion should not change whatsoever. All in all I love this movie, but it is not “great”, at least in a theatrical way. It is, however, outstanding for those of us who have always had trouble identifying who and what we are and understand that humor and open-mindedness are way better medicine than anything else.

Chaotic Neutral
I was so happy with this movie. I have seen reunion pics before that disappointed (such as the cast of A Fish Called Wanda getting back together for Fierce Creatures) and I didn't want that to happen to the characters for whom I have come to care so much. And yes, I did tear up at the ending but most of the movie was funny. I won't be watching it over and over as many times as I've watched the original, but Clerks 2 has edged out Chasing Amy now as my second favorite Smith film.

I loved the movie, and much to my surprise I went to high school with one of the actors (yes it was a main character not just an extra).

I got a pair of movie passes for my birthday and figured this would be a perfect movie to use them on because, quite frankly, I didn't think it would be able to hold a candle to the first one and I really didn't want to spend my hard earned moolah on a total crapfest. I have to admit, it turned out alot better than I thought it would. The whole "Silence of the Lambs" skit was hilarious and I was in tears during the whole "LotR vs. StarWars" debate. Kevin Smith made a sequel that stays true for the fans of the first and will entertain those who are new to the View Askew Universe.

Originally Posted by NapalmInTheMorning
which actor did you go to school with?
Trevor Fehrman, he played Elias (aka the LOTR Geek)

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Walked out after 40 mins, blatant, obvious and totally uninspiring or funny.
Clerks remains Smith's best film to date in my opinion, after that it's been all downhill.
Apart from an Evening with Kevin Smith, I've found less and less to be impressed by.
Purile and sadly lacking any of the original wit and humour of the first film, I would rather roll my eyeballs in salt than watch anymore of this film.
But hey, just my opinion.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

It's out in the UK Darth?