Planet of the Apes

→ in
Tools    

This thread has two suptopics actually.

ONE: What is your favorite (if any) out of the original Planet of the Apes series?

TWO: What are your thoughts on the 2001 remake?

I'll start off. The first is my favorite followed by Escape From, Beneath, Conquest, and Battle for comes in last.

As far as the remake goes, I love Tim Burton but I felt like this film was a slap in the face of everything the original stood for. In 1969, the film was an exciting, intellectually stimulating, satirical and beautiful sci-fi social and political commentary. In 2001, it was monkeys, explosions, and Mark Wahlberg attempting to fill Charlton Heston's shoes. I hate the fact that it was ever made, but perhaps I am being unkind...not.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Not seen them in years, but as I child I liked Conquest best. Die, human scum!

As for Burton's "re-imaginging", it was the first film of his I truly didn't like. Probably the only mildly entertaining thing about it was the utterly baffling twist ending - the best explanation I heard was from a friend who theorized, "I think that Tim Burton forgot to eat his Wheetabix that morning, and went slightly mad."

Can't beat the origonal. And man was Nova hot.
Although the Coyote is far supirior in intellect, Roadrunner always wins. Why is that? Wiley always puts forth his best effort, and no matter what, he always loses to a moron. I guess im sort of like Roadrunner. I just get by on dumb luck.

-The Collection-

My favourite is the original and also liked the sequels, but didn't care for the remake.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have only seen the original and the Burton remake...I had heard that it was best to avoid the sequels.

While not brilliant, there were some things in the remake that were quite good - the special effects and make-up, and Helena Bonham Carter as an ape.

Feed me breadcrumbs
One: The Original Flick was pretty good. Bought along a whole raft of emotions watching it - always a bonus. The others did not shine as bright.

Two: I actually liked the remake as well. It had a different feel to it. Though to be honest I had almost forgotten the original by then, I could only remember snippets. So I guess I didn't have the memories of the original to jaundice my view of the remake. I liked Burton's vision, and I liked the arrogance of Marky Mark too. Good casting.

ha, the original Apes was on the history channel the other day

1- the original

2- i don't hate it, thought the make up was well done, and having Heston as one of the apes was kinda cool. and i love tim roth and thought he did a great job, didnt even relize it was him till my dad told me. ha

I loved the original. The sequels were good too. Loved the 'Get off me you damn dirty ape line' by Heston. I didn't why they had a woman astronaut in the script only to die before the movie actually got started. I'm guessing she was there just for shock value and maybe to get you into the feel of how dangerous their flight actually was.

I also enjoyed the remake. The opening space scene was nice. The landing seemed a bit far fetched. I can't see how he could survive that impact.

I hated that older ape smashing his gun. That annoyed me. And didn't like how their only chance to fight off the oncoming soldier apes was to blast them with the fuel from their ship. Was so hoping to see his more advanced human pals come down to save the day at the end but that didn't happen.

I really liked the surprise ending. That was cool too.

I didnt get the whole Helena Bonham Carter, Estella Warren thing. First you think Estella was going to be Mark's girl then it seemed Bonham was. Well his ape girl anyways.

And I loved the character Thade. He was awesome. Very malicious.

Oh and yeah, Heston reversing his favorite line was cool. Glad he made a cameo.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator

ONE: What is your favorite (if any) out of the original Planet of the Apes series?

I'll start off. The first is my favorite followed by Escape From, Beneath, Conquest, and Battle for comes in last.

As far as the remake goes, I love Tim Burton but I felt like this film was a slap in the face of everything the original stood for. In 1969, the film was an exciting, intellectually stimulating, satirical and beautiful sci-fi social and political commentary. In 2001, it was monkeys, explosions, and Mark Wahlberg attempting to fill Charlton Heston's shoes. I hate the fact that it was ever made, but perhaps I am being unkind...not.

I agree that Escape From was my fav! After that the first one. My least fav was the one with the bomb being worshiped. That was just ugly. Second to least favorite for me would be the one in which the Apes and Humans fight all out.

The remake was nothing like the original. It was difficult to see that woman (I can't recall her name), looking like Michael Jackson IMO.

I think you have to take the remake all on it's own and no compare it at ALL to the original or you will hate it.

AndyNarcotic: Resident of Nilbog
I recently bought the boxset of the originals and I gotta say I loved "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" that movie ruled...Cornelius at a Boxing Match haha that was amazing haha

Na I couldnt sit through the remake...it just didnt have the same...feel as the original...in any way
good effort though

What about the off-Broadway Musical - "Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off"?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

My favourite is the original and also liked the sequels, but didn't care for the remake.
That goes for me too.

Remakes are seldom ever as good as the original, and the remake of Planet of the Apes was absolutely no exception. I'd seen the original "Planet of the Apes" when it first came out, in the late 1960's, when I was still in high school and loved it, but, upon seeing previews of the 2001 remake of this particular film and reading reviews about it, I decided not to go and see it. The remake ofPlanet of the Apes didn't make it, anyhow....it went over like a lead balloon, in about 3 weeks or less.