The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Tools    

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning"

Release Date: October 6, 2006
Theatrical Trailer: Click Here
Starring: Jordana Brewster, Andrew Bryniarski, R. Lee Ermey, Taylor Handley, Matthew Bomer, Diora Baird, Heather Kafka, Marietta Marich, Terrence Evans
Official Website: TexasChainsawmovie.com
Plot Summary: The origins of the legendary horror character Leatherface will finally be revealed in the "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning". The film, which is set years before the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie, stars Jordana Brewster and is being directed by Jonathan Liebesman.

Jonathan Liebesman is directing "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (2004) prequel that Platinum Dunes is producing for New Line Cinema.

The story will go backwards a couple of years, trying to answer questions about the character Leatherface. In this prequel the filmmakers also want to explain why Leatherface uses a chainsaw, and how his mask originated.

That blonde guy bound to the pole with his shirt raised up is yummy. I can see why Leatherface would want him.

Anyways, I will see it. I absolutely love that poster - it's the first time I've seen it. I hope the movie is better than the remake, though.

But, I think they're really trying to hook people in with the sex appeal of the actors. There's hot guys in bondage, two babes - if I was straight, I'd be into Jordana Brewster, she's my idea of a sexy gal. And then there's the sheriff... for... the older women who saw the 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre when it came out.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
But, I think they're really trying to hook people in with the sex appeal of the actors.

That was my first impression of the photos. I don't care. Ham-handed hooks or not I probably won't be able to resist this one.

hollywood needs new ideas all these remakes are getting old. its not that i didnt like the originals or that some of the remakes are not good i would just like to see new stories

It looks a little too similar to the remake I think, but may work a bit better since the whiney Jessica Biel is not in it.

I'm still curious to find out why you can't watch the trailer unless its between 10 pm and 4 am...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Yah, that time restriction is moronic at best. I've uploaded the 480p HD trailer (which is just shy of 50mb) to my site, so if you don't want to wait, have at it.

Originally Posted by Rockoutlaw
hollywood needs new ideas all these remakes are getting old. its not that i didnt like the originals or that some of the remakes are not good i would just like to see new stories
This isn't a remake.

I still prefer to believe that Leatherface's family is The Cook, The Hitchhiker, and Grandpa - not Sheriff, the morbidly obese lady, the old woman, the filthy kid, the weirdo baby snatching woman, and all of these up-to-date cannibals (are they all cannibals, though? I didn't watch the "remake" enough to remember everything)

So, I won't go into the movie believing that this is "the beginning".

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by jrs
Whatever.
Well, he has a point. It's a prequel to the remake, so it uses the remake's family tree etc, but it's still kind of a slap in the face to the original to completely subvert everything it and its sequels had established. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I still think it's kind of stupid that this movie redefines the family values of the series, which was one of its greatest attributes.

Originally Posted by OG-
Well, he has a point. It's a prequel to the remake, so it uses the remake's family tree etc, but it's still kind of a slap in the face to the original to completely subvert everything it and its sequels had established. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I still think it's kind of stupid that this movie redefines the family values of the series, which was one of its greatest attributes.

I see what your saying. I had a quite different perspective towards the prequel, but I agree with you there.

Did anyone else think that the trailer to this movie was god awful? I literally thought I was watching the trailer to the remake made a few years ago. Man I was looking foward this movie for a little bit but now I have a whole lot of doubt.

Originally Posted by jrs
That's her back
Then she's got a very odd and looooooooooooooooooooooong looking back.

And why is that site now only allowing us to view between 10pm and 4am. Just what are those clowns up to.

And no, I thought the trailer looked fine when I saw it a week back.

Originally Posted by jrs
I see what your saying. I had a quite different perspective towards the prequel, but I agree with you there.
I don't blame the prequel, really - you could look at it as Texas Chainsaw Massacre 5 (with "The Beginning" being 6) if you want. It's the fault of Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 for making a movie with Leatherface having a completely different family. Since then, it seems to be acceptable. I think the fourth one, written by one of the writers from the original TCM, Kim Henkel, tried to explain the reasoning for this in a weird way - something to do with Leatherface being involved with space aliens, I think... totally weird.

But at least TCM: The Beginning is a sequel that's going to be a lot like the one before it. TCM 2, which came out twenty years ago, did happen to have Cook, Hitchhiker and Grandpa (and I love the movie, though a lot of people apparently don't) but the film was a completely different tone.

I have finally seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and I am surprised to say that I really liked it. It was released on DVD yesterday in the USA, and I went out to my local Target store to pick up a copy - the Unrated version. In a darkened living room, I watched this sequel/prequel to 2003's remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, hoping that the positive reviews I had read on the internet were true. They were - this Chainsaw is the best film in the series since Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 that came out in 1986.

I was mad as hell that they changed so many things about the original for the remake - the new family, the different panorama of Leatherface - and to top it off, they made the movie so ridiculously disgusting and vulgar and ruined the charm and mystique of the original. This one isn't too far from the disgusting qualities, but now it actually has its own modern charm. It's basically a film about this small town man who goes insane and uses his angry, mentally retarded nephew as a partner in crime. We actually do witness the birth of fear, but it's not so much the beginning of Leatherface, but the beginning of this psycho who kills the town sheriff (the only authority around), dons his uniform and then becomes the new authority.

In 2003's remake, there was just a bunch of weirdos all living amongst each other, friends and family of Leatherface. This time the number of those weirdos has actually decreased so that there's only Leatherface's uncle/The Sheriff, his old wife, some fat woman that I believe might be Leatherface's mom (who walks around with a purple umbrella!) and some other old guy who eventually becomes the legless horndog. We learn that they are not all obsessed with murdering people in the beginning, like I thought in the remake. They are merely going along with The Sheriff's ideas and don't really fight against it that much because, I guess, what else have they got to do in a small, rural Texas town?

I am not saying this movie is a masterpiece, and I'm sure it works a lot better for me since it's not called The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and is not implied as a remake - cause unless they have Sally, Franklin, Kirk, Jerry, Pam & the rest of the gang, it's not a remake. But, this is the best I've seen since 1986. Chainsaw 3 & The Next Generation didn't follow up with their messed up, totally new Leatherface families in a second movie for me to care about them much. Although I liked how in The Next Generation, Leatherface was more demented drag queen.