Stay Alive

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Ok, so I'm a bit rusty at this not having done a review in a while, but here I am, reviewing a movie that's really not worth the time nor effort.

Oh, and here's a warning right now, this will have spoilers, but this is a thriller/horror movie, of course people are going to die.

Our story starts off with a guy playing the title game, dying in the game then going bye bye a few hours later. Police are clueless as to why and his long-time friend ("Hutch", Jon Foster)comes into possession of all of his games, including the last one he played.

At this point, the movie gets going. All of Hutch's friends are mourning with him, and at which point he pulls out the game and they all get together to play it. One of the people playing the game, Hutch's boss, gets killed when he ventures off by himself in the game. So naturally, a few hours later, his body is found in the same matter in which he was killed in the game.

This continues for about another half-hour of the movie. It's really lacking a creative story. The fact that a spirit can be awakened through a video game is in itself a good direction, but it fails to follow through with that idea.

It's hard to really take some of the game/reality segment seriously. It's more of an after school special rather than a credible film. If you go see this, take something else to do, cause you might find yourself bored more than once.

Overall Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Nooooooooooooooooo

I hope someone paid you to go see this, Spud. I'll be personally hurt if they didn't.

I really wanted to see that one. I'm still gonna check it out eventually though. I gotta find out if it is sucky on my own.

Gonna check out that Clive Owen film today though.

stranger then a drunken mime
Originally Posted by Escape
Gonna check out that Clive Owen film today though.
that actually looks good, im hopefully going to check it out also

Female assassin extraordinaire.
spudiddly! i loved the idea of the movie but from the trailer alone knew they were gonna do a Final Destination thing.

we must wait, instead, for Silent Hill to hurry up and hit theaters.

imagine if Stay Alive had been made in the US on a US mainstream budget BUT with a crazy Japanese director and a crazy Japanese survival horror video game creative director.

the horror would be endless and delicious!

ah
ah
ahh
ahhh
ahhhh ....
*splat*

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally Posted by thmilin
spudiddly! i loved the idea of the movie but from the trailer alone knew they were gonna do a Final Destination thing.
Yeah, if they would've taken the idea and merged it with Battle Royale, I think it would've been much better.

I wasn't too excited to go see it, but I knew my wife wanted to, so I took her to watch it. I too am looking forward to Silent Hill. Saw the trailer with V and am very anxious.

Oh well, can't expect too many blockbusters and award winners out of the first weekend of Spring.

The "scary" looking chick who makes a "I'm gonna get you" face in the TV spots for this flick annoys me. She looks like another clone of the depressed teenage girl supernatural maniac, like the bathtub suicide girl from Thirteen Ghosts and Samara (?) from The Ring.

This film was a pretty mediocre movie, but I didn't think it was that bad. It was predictable, and they used the same camera shot over and over (i.e. some creature or shadow walking in front of the camera or behind somebody). Overall I would give it a 1.5 out of 5.

i went and saw this because my kids wanted to see it and i was surprised even though it was sumwhat predictable i enjoyed this movie

I am normally really into my movie reviews but the two hours I spent watching this dumb ass movie is enough. The movie can suck my left nut. It took two hours of my life and I want them back...oh well I'd only waste them anyway.

I like the idea of a creepy video game that comes to get you, but I stopped watching this movie back when it was Netflixed to my place (and not on my account). I think it was taking too long for all the people to die or something. A game is going to kill you... die faster!

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
My kids watched this at midnight. My firm rule for myself is no scary movies after dark!

They are complete vid game fanatics. It really did a number on them. The next day they couldn't wait for me to have time to watch it with them. For me it was just an okay movie. It was far too "slasher" for me.

I did enjoy the stuff about Elizabeth Bathory. She of course never came to New Orleans as she died long before that was possible. LOL.

I always hate to see a movie set in New Orleans with NO authentic New Orleans accents. Such wonderful accents are somewhat like New Yorkers only more melodic btw, not the stereotypical Southern accent that most suppose.

I didn't understand the bit about the roses. It was interesting but where did that bit of mythology come from? Does anyone know?

Other than roses being a clan symbol for Toreadors, in the Vampire The Masquerade White Wolf game, I've never seen roses associated with the undead. I've read and watched a great deal about this subject so I'm very curious.

And finally, why the hell didn't they make a vid game to go with this movie? Seems like a natural tie in to me.

Why the hell did they make a VIDEO GAME horror movie featuring ELIZABETH BATHORY?! Why couldn't they put her in something like The Haunted Bathtub?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Why the hell did they make a VIDEO GAME horror movie featuring ELIZABETH BATHORY?! Why couldn't they put her in something like The Haunted Bathtub?
LOL!

Good question.

Each time she started to bleed one of the girls I couldn't help mentioning that they clearly weren't suitable because they weren't virgins.

One of the girls, the blond was like waaaaaay fake looking and fugly. I so wanted her dead!!!

The characters were fun in a mouthy and nerdy kind of way.

The dark haired girl was H-O-T!