Rent

→ in
Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Rosario Dawson rules. That's the first thing. I saw this on broadway, and I loved the girl who played Mimi then, but Dawson give the character just a little extra edge of maturity and depth that no one else has brought to the role. Vocally, she's right there. She has the range and the power and she adds subtle nuances I haven't heard before. It all works. And her dancing and acting were spot on. She poured more into this than some people who have been in the Rent cast for years.
rent

Which brings me to Mark. I saw this same guy in NYC and he was flailing then, too. Can NO ONE make him stop it??!! At least in this, he mostly confines the flailing to times when he's onscreen alone.

The guy who played Roger might as well not have been there. A cardboard cutout would have done as much for the role. I can't figure this. He's a central figure. When I saw this in NY, it was a similar thing: he was like NOT part of the cast.. but this guy was just about worthless. Nice smile. Good voice. NO presence. NONE. He looked like he didn't want to be there. aurgh. Terrible!

Joanne was better here, as was Maureen. As was Tom Collins. All three really were fantastic feats of casting and brilliant performances. It was a particular treat for me to see Idina Menzel, as I've lately gotten hooked on the "Wicked" soundtrack. She had exactly the right balance of drama queen/princess/bohemian/true diva to make Maureen breathe. And the woman who played Joanne was her perfect match, vocally. That was a true competition.

Where it fell apart was the staging and the direction. They SUCKED. The direction was just a criminal disservice to the performances. The only scene that seemed well-staged to me was the one in the cemetary. Oh, and Maureen's performance piece, up to the point where the riot was to break out. For the most part though, this really was a missed opportunity from a directing standpoint. Things were poorly framed. They were static when they should have been moving. Larson's score deserved better.

Overall, I'm glad I saw it. I'm now absolutely certain that Rosario Dawson is going to be around for the rest of my life and I'm glad of it. Some of the others in the cast were also outstanding: Tom Collins was perfection. The guy who played Angel put more into that role than I have previously seen - it's a pity his solo was so poorly filmed. Anyone who has a 40" vertical deserves to have it be well-shot, no??

The problems I had with the play, I have with this: transitions are still very sketchy. For instance, the moment when Roger decides to go to the support group is not played clearly. Several other pivotal moments are left off screen, and it makes the story a little hard to follow. And the notion that it's immoral to ask people to pay rent because they call themselves "artists" still seems..... well..... dumb, to me.

It's a good film for discussion - when it works it really works, and when it doesn't, it's abysmal.

What did you think of it??

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I agree with you 100% about Dawson as Mimi as I said earlier. Other than her, I found the characters rather dull. they were kind of like two dimensional objects designed solely to advance the plot. That said, I don't think the plot is too important here anyway, as it is mostly a two dimensional object designed to get across the themes which in themselves are good. The performances were all great aside from the whiny, useless Mark and the pointless Roger who delivers crappy material with what sounds like a Meatloaf impression in which he's not doing himself any favors. I mean, what's with that guy, he can't write a song for a year and then when he finally does...it kinda sucks. Then mark films his friends hanging around doing not-too-much and accidently gets some big exclusive footage that leads him to sucess, then bitches about selling out. The only one who makes any true attempt at art is Maureen, though I guess that's the way it is in the art world, the real artists and those who just falsely use the term to define themselves. I just wish the creators of the film/musical hadn't painted them all with the same brush, as these heroic, tragic figures fighting for "what truly is, the right thing." That aspect should have been left up to the audience to decide. "La Vie Boheme" is a brilliant song; so much fun and so thoughtful yet almost mindless at the same time, just a free association extravaganza about non-conformity. I got chills from Mark's lines about how everyone outside of the mainstream is in the mainstream and : "The opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation." While Rent's themes are timeless, the show is made up of so many elements that make it dated very soon after it's release. That's the curse of creating something with edginess as a primary objective. It will only stay edgy for a short time, and afterwards it feels like a key element is missing. In other words, they probably waited too long to make a movie out of this. to sum up, it's bursting at the seams with flaws both big and small, but hell, I liked it a lot.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I loved "La Vie Boheme", too.
I thought it was interesting that they sort of left it set about 10 years ago, in terms of AIDS-related issues. I'd like to have seen that updated a little, as well as clarifying some of the more pivotal moments in the stories - Roger's decision to go to Life Support meetings, for instance.

i didn 't see rent on broadway, but i loved the music, the singing and acting... i thought that everyone gave a fabulous performance...

thanks for clearing up the bit about rosario dawson...she was excellent..i really wasn't sure if it was her voice that was doing that beautiful singing....

angel was my favorite character in the piece...

the actor who played roger, adam pascal, i did see on broadway in disney's aida...he was excellent in the role of radames with a voice to match...

Someone needs their fill.
The Tango Maureen...end of story.

That and "La Vie Bohemme" are quite possibly my two favourite songs from musicals, and I've seen my fair share.

Watching this film made me think if I was to ever star in a school production or community theatre production of "Rent" that I would be cast as nobody else but Mark. Everyone living off my crappy films and not having a girlfriend .

But seriously, it's affected my entire High School after my Musical Theatre class saw it this year and we were all impressed. I was also shocked to see that most of the cast from the stage version were brought to the stage.

Anyways, I'll have to post later. Sleep time. But I'm on this forum just about everyday so I'll be able to comment more.

I don't get all the love for Rosario Dawson in this movie...she was fine, but there was nothing about her performance that stood out compared to the rest of the cast. I also loved "The Tango Maureen" and "La Vie Boheme"...also a big fan of "Take me or leave me" and "Will I?" I had not seen the show on Broadway, but after I saw the movie, I did find the stage version on You tube and it didn't make me like the movie less. I love the movie and can watch it over and over.