Pulse

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The trailer for the American remake of Kairo hit Twitch last week, but I just now got around to watching it and I am sizeably impressed.

Pulse follows a group of students who have just experienced the 'suicide' of a friend. After his mysterious death they recieve communication from the dead....and....go!

The remake stars Kristen Bell, who I am in love with because she is the champion of the amazing Veronica Mars, and actually looks to be the scariest of the studio remakes. Again, check out the bootleg trailer.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Heh, looks well made, and freaky, if a wee bit silly. Was the original any good?

A system of cells interlinked
There was also a bad technology-gone-bad film in the late 80s with the the same title....

Originally Posted by Golgot
Heh, looks well made, and freaky, if a wee bit silly. Was the original any good?
I thought I had written a review of it my review thread, but I couldn't find it. The original had some creep to it, but it wasn't a movie I'd heartily recommend simply because I never bought in to the way they used computers in the movie. I was fine with the dead posessing machines, but I wasn't willing to accept them making the machines do things that they couldn't do. Most likely this is just the nerd in me showing, though, and my guess is your average joe won't care.

It did have a really cool ending, which unfortunately you're given a glimpse of in the trailer (but I guess if you haven't seen the original, seeing it in the trailer is meaningless), and some really good highlights, but ultimately I just thought it was silly. This trailer has changed my mind though...

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Are you including The Ring and The Grudge in that?
Indeed. The Ring provided zero scare for me and the Grudge left out the best snipets from Ju-On.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Interesting. The Ring scared the [edit] out of me. hmmm...
I just never found any investment in the story. I thought it was wonderfully shot and had some cool concepts in it, but was kinda boring. Maybe saying zero scare is an exageration, I'm sure it got my heart fluttering a little, but it left no lasting thoughts...

I hate to do it again, as I (and a couple other members) often do, but I gotta trot out the Eye again. It is the ultimate example of Asian horror achieving a balance between jolts, suspense and a worthwhile story. I eagerly await the American remake because if I remember correctly it is being produced under Ghost Host Pictures (Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert's production company) and being directed by Hideo Nakata, who did the original Ringu. But then again I cannot even begin to fathom Renee Zellweger in the principal role, so I'm dissapointed all the same.

As I've said before I find it to be the best of its brood, even with its flaws. It can certainly be improved upon, just as it looks like Kairo has (seemingly) been approved upon with Pulse.

One reason I think either of these films will succeed with American counterparts is because their stories aren't based on lore and superstistion that are considerably stronger in Asian cultures than over here.

It's kinda funny, both The Eye and Pulse are somewhat reverse retellings of H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond. Instead of man inventing a machine that lets us interact directly with that which exists beyond our perception, by inadvertant manipulation of science the dead are able to interact with us. And I think that type of story is something American audiences are more willing to buy into...

Ghosts in the machine indeed...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I just saw the trailer for it over the weekend and it looks really good...Hollywood seems to be making some decent horror movies...I'm gonna get yelled at for saying that...