Prequels to Carlito's Way and The Untouchables.

Tools    

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Who says there is no originality in Hollywood?

Brian De Palma has just been confirmed to direct the prequel to his 1986 film The Untouchables. The film will focus on Al Capone's rise, so it will be a younger Al Capone, and none of the original stars are expected to feature in the new film. Early scripts don't even mention Elliot Ness, so this is sorely a film focusing on the young Capone, no actors have been cast yet, but the script is nearly finished.

Later on this year we will see Jay Hernandez assume the lead in the Carliyo's Way prequel, which again will focus on a younger Carlito and his rise in the criminal underworld. None of the original actors are set to appear.

So I guess prequels are " in " , they're the new black this season for Hollywood. Makes a change from remakes I suppose.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Expect to see Luis Guzmán with the old 'clothes pegs behind the ears' facelift then...

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Expect to see Luis Guzmán with the old 'clothes pegs behind the ears' facelift then...
Luis Guzman rocks. Saw him and Rob Schneider last time I was in La!!

Here to support the villians.......
I wonder who will play Al Capone?, had heard suggestions of Sean Penn ages ago.

I'm there. So there.

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu

Later on this year we will see Jay Hernandez assume the lead in the Carlito's Way prequel, which again will focus on a younger Carlito and his rise in the criminal underworld. None of the original actors are set to appear.
Posted up here as movie news in general and not quite news"worthy" as you can tell though.

Untouchables 2 Update:

Originally Posted by Moviehole
Antoine Fuqua is out as the director of the previously announced "Untouchables" prequel and in is ....are you ready.... Brian De Palma.

God Smiles Down Upon Thee.

De Palma, who directed the original film, returns to the world of Ness/Capone with "The Untouchables: Capone Rising", says Variety.

The film will take place years before law-man Ness (played by Costner in the former) and gangster Capone (played by De Niro) ever crossed paths and focus solely on a young Al Capone.

Capone was a famous American gangster in the 1920s and 1930s, although his business card is reported to have said he was a used furniture dealer.

Alphonse Capone was born in Brooklyn, New York, where he engaged in petty crime and acquired a razor slash which gave him his nickname. He moved to Chicago on his way up in the criminal world.

Capone was notorious during Prohibition for his control of the Chicago underworld, raking in vast amounts of money from illegal gambling, prostitution and alcohol. Due to witness intimidation, he could not be prosecuted for many crimes that the authorities knew about, including murder. He was eventually imprisoned for tax evasion, on the undeniable and visible evidence that the amount of money he was spending was far greater than his supposed income.

A big part of the prequel's story will be Capone's clash with Irish cop Johnny Malone, the character played in the original by Sean Connery, when the crook arrives in Chicago.

Brian Koppelman and David Levien have penned the script, Art Linson will produce.
Posted on Moviehole June 28, 2005.