Batman Begins

→ in
Tools    

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Spoiler Alert:
For those who liked Joel Schumaker's Batman, do not go and see this film, there is no neon or bat-nipples anywhere!!!!!

IMO this is the best comic adaptation so far. Next to Sin City this is the darkest comic adapt so far. So what makes this movie so enjoyable? What Chris Nolan has achieved is the most plausible super hero story to reach the big screen so far. For those of you who feel that other movies in this genre are watered down to appease young kids, rejoice, for Nolan has unleashed the most tortured,sadistic,vengefull Batman upon us.
This is an ultra-realistic Batman, even the villans of the piece are scarily realistic,especially mob boss Falcone and Cillian Murphy's brilliant if slightly underused Scarecrow. The pace of the film can be a little slow, especially the set up story which takes up most of the first hour, but unlike previous attempts, we learn so much more about how Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, and the journey that lead him there.
On the whole this is the Batman movie I've been waiting for, dark, gothic, sleek and believable. Bale is superb, he handles the duality of his role with relish, and is by far the most realistic caped crusader to date. The supporting cast is excellent as well, great performances from Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Liam Neeson, and a special mention for Morgan Frreman, he excells as Lucious Fox.
There is a twist at the end, and it does set up the sequel nicely, can't wait to see what Nolan does with this franchise.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Spoiler Alert:
For those who liked Joel Schumaker's Batman, do not go and see this film, there is no neon or bat-nipples anywhere!!!!!

IMO this is the best comic adaptation so far. Next to Sin City this is the darkest comic adapt so far. So what makes this movie so enjoyable? What Chris Nolan has achieved is the most plausible super hero story to reach the big screen so far. For those of you who feel that other movies in this genre are watered down to appease young kids, rejoice, for Nolan has unleashed the most tortured,sadistic,vengefull Batman upon us.
This is an ultra-realistic Batman, even the villans of the piece are scarily realistic,especially mob boss Falcone and Cillian Murphy's brilliant if slightly underused Scarecrow. The pace of the film can be a little slow, especially the set up story which takes up most of the first hour, but unlike previous attempts, we learn so much more about how Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, and the journey that lead him there.
On the whole this is the Batman movie I've been waiting for, dark, gothic, sleek and believable. Bale is superb, he handles the duality of his role with relish, and is by far the most realistic caped crusader to date. The supporting cast is excellent as well, great performances from Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Liam Neeson, and a special mention for Morgan Frreman, he excells as Lucious Fox.
There is a twist at the end, and it does set up the sequel nicely, can't wait to see what Nolan does with this franchise.
Nice review although I do have a problem with idea that a comic book adaptation is "ultra realistic". Surely that's an oxymoron.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Spoiler Alert:

Spoilerphobia kept me from all reviews of this til I'd seen it and written my own, and here I see I was unwittingly echoing you.
Agreed on all points, especially about the stylised reality of the film making this one more relatable.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
Nice review although I do have a problem with idea that a comic book adaptation is "ultra realistic". Surely that's an oxymoron.

Oxymoron, you show-off. Good point, Batman is the most plausible of all the superhero genre because he doesn't have special powers, and instead rely's upon wit and invention. Nolan has been clever in that the film reflects the current climate and use of chemical weapons, all of which are more believeable then anything Joel Schumaker ever did.

It was my first post, so I shall improve over the course of time. Cheers for the reply.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Oxymoron, you show-off. Good point, Batman is the most plausible of all the superhero genre because he doesn't have special powers, and instead rely's upon wit and invention. Nolan has been clever in that the film reflects the current climate and use of chemical weapons, all of which are more believeable then anything Joel Schumaker ever did.

It was my first post, so I shall improve over the course of time. Cheers for the reply.
The post was a good one but isn't Frank Castle (The Punisher) the most realistic superhero of all? He's just a guy hellbent on revenge without any superpowers of any kind. All he has is his lust for revenge and his smarts...

Good film. I had only a couple problems with it.

WARNING: "Batman Begins" spoilers below

The reason behind liam neesons' character in that he wanted to cleanse the city simply because of the corruption. How can he get so bent on cleaning up the garbage while killing the innocent. I just thought it was a little over the top.

Also, when Batman was fighing him on the train. How was Batman even coming close to loosing? He had on this bullet proof suit of his. Most of the blows didn't appear in any of the vulnerable areas of it, perhaps such as the joints.
It seems he was on the loosing end of the scrap until he pointed out to neeson that the train was not gonna stop.

And why were these people attacking batman, if they were all full of that fear drug. Instead of going at him, they should have been running the other way.

Escame come on his plan wasnt over the top hes an Evil Villian and thats wat they do come up with evil plans that dont necesarry make sense to others and the fight remember who tought batman how to fight ....

and i simply loved this move its going on my top list as the best comic book/ action movie ever!!!!!
it was just amazing i left the theater simply stunned and amazed at how brilliant it was

WOW just perfect comic book fan or not its a MUST SEE!!!

Originally Posted by Terminator734
and the fight remember who tought batman how to fight ....

I understand this but i'm not sure He was that much better then Bats near the end. And with added protection, he should have the edge.

A system of cells interlinked
The post was a good one but isn't Frank Castle (The Punisher) the most realistic superhero of all? He's just a guy hellbent on revenge without any superpowers of any kind. All he has is his lust for revenge and his smarts...
Not really. Batman has no powers either, and is just a far more interesting character, IMO. All Batman has is his vengence (can't get revenge) and his smarts...and his money. The dual nature of Batman is what makes him interesting to me. Crane mentions the Jungian stuff in the film, which ties in to Bats and his rogues gallery nicely. But, to be fair, I have had only minor exposure to the Castle stuff, and he is a somewhat interesting character. Batman ujust has so much more interesting mythos attached...

Some news on the sequel today:

Saucer-eyed actress dropped from Batman sequel

i went to see this film with my gf, after hearing all the hype i told her i had to see it, half way through you could tell people where getting bored, its the only film ive ever seen where at the end when the credits begin everyone says wa-hay! thank god its over. Batman vs the joker is the best and the $400,000,000+ at the box office shows it.

Originally Posted by nigel101
i went to see this film with my gf, after hearing all the hype i told her i had to see it, half way through you could tell people where getting bored, its the only film ive ever seen where at the end when the credits begin everyone says wa-hay! thank god its over. Batman vs the joker is the best and the $400,000,000+ at the box office shows it.
Yeah this film is not going to everyone's cup of tea, but I hate movies where things just happen out of context with no reasoning. Remember, this is the set up movie,so I'm expecting a more action packed sequel. This film is more of an adult themed comic adapt, but I would never want to sit through Batman and Robin again, I would rather rub salt on my eyeballs!!!! Shame you didn't enjoy it, but intresting to hear negative reviews about the film too.

Fair point, the Punisher is more of a vigilante than superhero IMO. Haven't enjoyed either of the Punisher movies, Dolph was too wooden in the first one, I like Thomas Jane as an actor, my main problem with the recent movie was the sub story involving the other residents of his building. I didn't feel any sympathy for them, and instead wanted to beat them senseless with a blunt object, didn't think Travolta was great either, and Rebecca-R- Stavros always looks good , but I'm still unconvinced by her acting.

A system of cells interlinked
Stating something like that as fact is ridiculous. It's your opinion, that's all. So, half-way through the film you started to gain the ability to read minds? You were bored, that much is clear, but you had no idea what others were thinking. You just didn't. Also, comparing box office numbers between a film that has been out for just one week, and a film that has been out since 1989 is sort of like apples to oranges, isn't it? Did you see the original Batman? I did, and it's not about the Batman character, it's about The Joker. Batman is relegated to almost a side role, while the cartoon-clown Joker attempts to dominate every scene. As a milestone in art direction and atmosphere, the first Batman flick is exceptional, but as a character driven piece about Batman, it doesn't hold up very well.

The cast of Batman begins is also just more talented across the board. Unless of course you believe people like Jack Palance, Michael Wootkins, Michael Keaton, and Robert Whul are better thespians than Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson and Christian Bale. I don't even see a comparison here. Nicholson is always good, but this just reinforces my point that this is The Joker's film, and not Batman's.

That said, I like the 1989 release. It's a fun watch and the set design is fantastic. It has a great score and other pros that make it a DVD to have in my collection. But, Batman Begins does does Batman better, big time, IMO.

I saw it with two different crowds and didn't experience anything of the sort. Also, the $400 million gross you talk of is actually worldwide, rather than domestic, and while it's certainly impressive, and can even be used as a quasi-argument for the film's quality, it cannot be compared to the current film, which hasn't had anywhere near enough time to potentially match that gross.

This is, of course, setting aside the possibility that a superior film (and make no mistake, Batman Begins is a superior film) can gross less money. It's not unheard of, you know.

It was a good movie. However, for some reason, I still think Batman Forever with Val Kilmer and Nicole Kidman was more enjoyable, if only for pure entertainment value. After all, that was the movie with Jim Carey playing the Riddler, Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face and Chris O'Donnell as Robin, the boy wonder. I still can't forget Nicole Kidman practicing on that punching bag and Val Kilmer breaking down her office door! Hilarious, if totally over the top! And, of course, Jim Carey's performance was outrageous as usual! Good stuff!

Originally Posted by darkhorse
It was a good movie. However, for some reason, I still think Batman Forever with Val Kilmer and Nicole Kidman was more enjoyable, if only for pure entertainment value. After all, that was the movie with Jim Carey playing the Riddler, Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face and Chris O'Donnell as Robin, the boy wonder. I still can't forget Nicole Kidman practicing on that punching bag and Val Kilmer breaking down her office door! Hilarious, if totally over the top! And, of course, Jim Carey's performance was outrageous as usual! Good stuff!
I know an "opinion" isn't supposed to ever be wrong, but you're an idiot.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I know an "opinion" isn't supposed to ever be wrong, but you're an idiot.
I guess that makes you opinionated and wrong! lol!

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by darkhorse
I guess that makes you opinionated and wrong! lol!
Opinions are not always right! But facts are! You're an idiot! LOL!!!!11!!11!111!!!1!!111!!!!!!

Guess that makes you insultinated, huh?