Sympathy for a Friend

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
And I mean that in the Friends sense.

I work in Hollywood and the town is papered with posters and billboards for upcoming movies. Recently, the ads for Mr and Mrs Smith went up everywhere, and I am feeling downright averse to them. I used to think my parents were batty when they'd comment that they didn't like a particular performer because of that star's personal reputation, but I seem to have finally graduated to their level of kookiness. I see Pitt and Jolie and I just think what an awful thing for Jennifer Anniston, to have those two pictured all over the damn town she lives in.

Am I nuts?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Am I nuts?
Yes.

A multi-multi millionaire like sourpuss Jen Aniston whining because she couldn't keep Brad frippin' Pitt elicits exactly zero sympathy or empathy from me. That Jen wouldn't give up the kind of noisy, uninhibited sex that Jolie and Brad are now engaging in should make her examine her own self, and not pout over one megastar leaving one for another.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Eh, I dunno. For one, we don't know if Jolie really spurred the breakup to begin with. The story's too juicy, to the point at which it could very well be made up (or at least blown out of proportion).

That said, the tradeoff for Aniston is that she's famous, too, so she won't have much trouble rebounding. If you ask me they've all got too much money and time on their hands. I can see no other adequate explanation for the disproportionate level of drama they're all involved in.

I'm going to stop thinking about it now before my IQ drops to less than half my weight.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Yes.

A multi-multi millionaire like sourpuss Jen Aniston whining because she couldn't keep Brad frippin' Pitt elicits exactly zero sympathy or empathy from me. That Jen wouldn't give up the kind of noisy, uninhibited sex that Jolie and Brad are now engaging in should make her examine her own self, and not pout over one megastar leaving one for another.
How do you find the time to see so many films when you're apparently monitoring the bedrooms of Hollywood night and day?

No one, except the people directly involved, really know what happened or is happening between them… and at the risk of sounding a bit hardhearted… I have a hard time being sympathetic over something I know nothing about…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Yoda
Eh, I dunno. For one, we don't know if Jolie really spurred the breakup to begin with. The story's too juicy, to the point at which it could very well be made up (or at least blown out of proportion).
This wouldn't suprise me. It does seem that stories like this always hit RIGHT before the release of a film/album.

That said, the tradeoff for Aniston is that she's famous, too, so she won't have much trouble rebounding. If you ask me they've all got too much money and time on their hands. I can see no other adequate explanation for the disproportionate level of drama they're all involved in.
awww... you're so young. Part of my gripe with the whole thing is that I've known at least a hundred non-famous, non-wealthy morons who've done exactly the same crap.

I'm going to stop thinking about it now before my IQ drops to less than half my weight.
heh... yeah, this isn't my proudest moment, intellectually. It just keeps bugging me, so I figured I'd share. I'm sweet like that.

How do you find the time to see so many films when you're apparently monitoring the bedrooms of Hollywood night and day?

.... I wondered about that myself...

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
No one, except the people directly involved, really know what happened or is happening between them… and at the risk of sounding a bit hardhearted… I have a hard time being sympathetic over something I know nothing about…
Generally, I find that to be true. But I've never known anyone, no matter the circumstances of their breakup, who would be happy to see their recent ex with his new squeeze at every turn.

It must not be that hard; many find time for an entire second social life (or, sometimes sadly, first) based around the sex lives of celebrities. Personally, I've never understood the bizarre fascination with it all. I find my own life plenty interesting without having to follow someone else's, especially in such superficial ways.

Cait, per usual, is right. We'll never know. Now if only we never cared to begin with, we'd be getting somewhere.

This wouldn't suprise me. It does seem that stories like this always hit RIGHT before the release of a film/album.
Yep. The Holmes/Cruise thing's another example of that. At the risk of sounding overly jaded, it wouldn't surprise me if much of this was encouraged or exaggerated for PR purposes.

awww... you're so young. Part of my gripe with the whole thing is that I've known at least a hundred non-famous, non-wealthy morons who've done exactly the same crap.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that my life (or the lives of my friends) are devoid of this kind of thing. I wish. But it's a bit more understated than, say, billboards and tabloids.

heh... yeah, this isn't my proudest moment, intellectually. It just keeps bugging me, so I figured I'd share. I'm sweet like that.
Well, I wasn't implying that you shouldn't have posted this. I was thinking more of those who live and breathe this stuff, as if it mattered enough to be more than the occasional time-killer.

It must not be that hard; many find time for an entire second social life (or, sometimes sadly, first) based around the sex lives of celebrities. Personally, I've never understood the bizarre fascination with it all. I find my own life plenty interesting without having to follow someone else's, especially in such superficial ways.

Cait, per usual, is right. We'll never know. Now if only we never cared to begin with, we'd be getting somewhere.
hmm... so you're not big on empathy, if the person is famous. Fame makes up for anything? I don't think the point is not to care. I'd love to have not heard about the whole thing, or anybody else's private life. I think it's very low pandering on the part of the press that they splash crap like this all over the place. But I don't think that deciding not to care, or dismissing a person's pain simply because we don't know them is the way to go.

Yep. The Holmes/Cruise thing's another example of that. At the risk of sounding overly jaded, it wouldn't surprise me if much of this was encouraged or exaggerated for PR purposes...
It's funny, because I don't usually pay attention to or talk about this stuff, but soemone else asked me about the Holmes/Cruise thing, just this morning. I think he's nuts. I've always thought he was nuts. And he's one of the VERY FEW (I swear it!) cases where hearing about his personal life put me off - but it was back in the late 80's, when he was interviewed and came off sounding like a total control-freak coked up jerk. I can't stannim.

I don't monitor them at all, but the account of their loud sex has been in the press for a few days, so I did heard of it.

But if you or anybody else is offering, yes, I would very much like to monitor Ms. Jolie in some bedroom action. With Brad Pitt or anyone else for that matter.

And you're the one who brought up the subject, Sunshine.

I work in Hollywood and the town is papered with posters and billboards for upcoming movies. Recently, the ads for Mr and Mrs Smith went up everywhere, and I am feeling downright averse to them. I used to think my parents were batty when they'd comment that they didn't like a particular performer because of that star's personal reputation, but I seem to have finally graduated to their level of kookiness. I see Pitt and Jolie and I just think what an awful thing for Jennifer Anniston, to have those two pictured all over the damn town she lives in.
I am not a fan of Jennifer Anniston but i think it must hurt, hey, i hated people telling me things about any of my ex's let alone seeing posters of them all over town.

Put me in your pocket...

Am I nuts?
No, you're not nuts. It just shows you're a compassionate person.

I agree with you and Nebs. I'm not a huge fan of Aniston (like Nebs), but it must be hard for her not only to see Brad and Jolie everywhere...but to be also dragged into the media feeding frenzy because of Brad. I just saw yet another rag mag cover with all three of them and lots of speculation as to whether Brad still loves Jennifer. Sheesh...the media is ridiculous.

Somebody still cares?

Last post was over a month ago...so I doubt it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Last post was over a month ago...so I doubt it.
I'm glad Henry bumped it anyway - I'd missed the last posts.
Is that Fitzcaraldo in your av?

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
And I mean that in the Friends sense.

Am I nuts?

Naw, you're not nuts Sweetie, you're a chick!!!
Sorry, that was a really blokey thing to say.
IMO Jennifer and her career are on the downward slope, alledegly Brad wants kids, Jen wasn't ready. The grass is always greener, and when you're one of the world's sexiest men(not my opinion) you can have anyone, especially the world's sexiest woman(my opinion bigtime!!). IMO Jen put her career first, and Brad seems like a traditional kind of guy, he's 40 now, so kids have to be on the sooner, rather than later list.
Jen or Angelina?
No contest, miss knife wielding, basque wearing, pouty lipped one wins it hands down.
Harder to keep these things secret when you're famous, so them being plastered everywhere is just part of the package.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?