Kung-Fu Hustle

→ in
Tools    

Movie Forums Member
Recently i have seen Kung fu hustle, Personally if you like Slap Stick Comedy mixed with Stylistic Kung Fu then you will enjoy it, The movie uses Some of the same Formulas as other Stephen Chow movies

Like his bruce lee parody, and always adding this one sad dramatic love story into his movies.

Watch it when it comes out! i hope you guys won't be dissapointed
and yes i watched the trailer and it doesn't look so good but trust me! it's a good movie Filled with American Jokes too which in my opinion is very cool because Stephen Chow is now pleasing not only asian people but also American

here is the Official kung fu hustle website if anybody is interested
http://www.sonyclassics.com/kungfuhustle/index_en.php

I really want to see it. Is it anything like Kung Pow?

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Jedi Rufio
Nope it's MUCH better then Kung Pow.

Kung Pow was like the Stupidest of Stupidest funny type comedy.

Stephen Chow's Kung Fu hustle is somewhat stupid but not that stupid and has jokes referring to american movies and audiences and has some smart jokes. And Kung Fu hustle is more serious then Kung Pow.

Kung Fu hustle also has elements of Buster Keaton in the movie =)

I saw Kung Fu Hustle about two months ago.

It was dumb fun in spots, but absolutely nothing more, and the same schtick over and over again became tiresome by the second half of the movie. It was worth seeing I suppose, and anyone who is bigtime into Hong Kong action or is a boy between the ages of nine and fifteen will likely love it, but Kung Fu Hustle is just doepy nonsense. Kind of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon by way of Dumb & Dumber. I laughed only a few scattered times, and it never had me rolling (save for the attempted assassintaion with the knives, which was on the level of Buster Keaton perfection), and all the extended CGI cartoony fights just became dull and tedious by the time the Beast is released. Casting the Masters they way they did was a fun gag...you know, the first few times it was revealed. Then it was overkill like everything else. The Western pop-culture references, like The Untouchables, The Shining, Spider-Man and the Looney Tunes, were about as amusing as Scary Movie 2 and certainly not the stuff of say Blazing Saddles or even The Kentucky Fried Movie. Frankly, overall I'll take John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China over Kung Fu Hustle every day of the week.

This is a wait-for-video flick. There is absolutely no reason to rush out and see it.

GRADE: C+

Some similar humor to Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, but between the two I'll take Steve Oedekerk's silliness over Chow's.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I saw Kung-Fu Hustle about two months ago.

It was dumb fun in spots, but absolutely nothing more, and the same schtick over and over again became tiresome by the second half of the movie. It was worth seeing I suppose, and anyone who is bigtime into Hong Kong action or is a boy between the ages of nine and fifteen will likely love it, but Kung Fu Hustle is just doepy nonsense. Kind of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon by way of Dumb & Dumber. I laughed only a few scattered times, and it never had me rolling (save for the attempted assassintaion with the knives, which was on the level of Buster Keaton perfection), and all the extended CGI cartoony fights just became dull and tedious by the time the Beast is released. Casting the Masters they way they did was a fun gag...you know, the first few times it was revealed. Then it was overkill like everything else. The Western pop-culture references, like The Untouchables, The Shining, Spider-Man and the Looney Tunes, were about as amusing as Scary Movie 2 and certainly not the stuff of say Blazing Saddles or even The Kentucky Fried Movie. Frankly, overall I'll take John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China over Kung Fu Hustle every day of the week.

This is a wait-for-video flick. There is absolutely no reason to ruch out and see it.

GRADE: C+

I whole heartedly Disagree

also http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kung_fu_hustle/
getting very good reviews

and just in 7 theathres the movie earned more then 400thousand dollars

i don't know how you can call the Whole cartoon scene tedious because they didn't show too many cartoon references. The movie was also a perfect balance of Action, Comedy, melded in with some drama.

Also the storyline is not much different from Old School Kung Fu Flicks and pays a Homage to one of the Comedic Shaw Brothers movies.

And i don't think it was a kill, The CGI cartoony fight with the beast was amazing because of Yuen Woo Ping's Style of coreogrophy and it was also a PARODY to how cartoony Matrix was.

"The Western pop-culture references, like The Untouchables, The Shining, Spider-Man and the Looney Tunes, were about as amusing as Scary Movie 2"

I disagree Scary Movie 2 Told in way different ways and was very out of the line in so many things.

In Kung Fu Hustle they added some small Parodies that were not So Over The Top and Have a totally different feel then Scary Movie 2.

Scary movies 2 was also a movie with alot of Sex Jokes while Kung Fu Hustle has none.

"Casting the Masters they way they did was a fun gag...you know, the first few times it was revealed."

actually this wasn't really a gag this is how some of the old school Kung Fu Flicks are

"It was worth seeing I suppose, and anyone who is bigtime into Hong Kong action or is a boy between the ages of nine and fifteen will likely love it,"

This movie is the highest grossing movie ever made in HK and was a BlockBuster in Asia and also Won The best movie AWARD in HK

"Quote:

Some similar humor to Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, but between the two I'll take Steve Oedekerk's silliness over Chow's."

This is sad, *sigh* i guess it's just different opinions but Steve Oedekerk's Humor is nothing compared to Chow's

Originally Posted by fireyhope
I whole heartedly Disagree

also http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kung_fu_hustle/
getting very good reviews

and just in 7 theathres the movie earned more then 400thousand dollars

This movie is the highest grossing movie ever made in HK and was a BlockBuster in Asia and also Won The best movie AWARD in HK
And I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Isn't this fun?

What fu*king difference does it make what the reviews are or how much money or what awards it has won? Is that supposed to change my personal opinion? Well, it doesn't. I still think it's very average, a one-note idea that becomes tiresome very, very quickly.

*sigh* I guess it's just different opinions
No guessing about it.

Movie Forums Member
one thing i also want to mention is that Chow's movies usually have some kind Musical Dance going on, and also as i said already uses drama elements into the movie.

When You watch Kung Fu Hustle don't expect it to be the funniest movie ever. But Though you'll get the Usual Sarcastic Chow jokes and i praise his thoughtfullness in Balancing the Jokes well enough rather then in movies like Scary Movies2 and Kung Pow there is non stop gags without a real solid storyline.

also You are right though, Blazing saddles though YOU might enjoy it more because you don't understand it as much Chinese references the movie has and Don't Enjoy Kung Fu Parodies as much because BLazing Saddles was Soley MAde for americans

While Kung Fu Hustle was made for both audiences which is much better in my opinion

Movie Forums Member
And I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Isn't this fun?

What fu*king difference does it make what the reviews are or how much money or what awards it has won? Is that supposed to change my personal opinion? Well, it doesn't. I still think it's very average, a one-note idea that becomes tiresome very, very quickly.

No guessing about it.
What difference? there are alot of differences and i wasn't trying to change your opinion i was just proving how wrong your opinion was.
You still think it's very average and it definately is not on a one note idea the movie portrays different ideas never before used so well in many movies.
And what? we have to refer to Swearing Now? i thought u were much more mature then that

Originally Posted by fireyhope
What difference? there are alot of differences and i wasn't trying to change your opinion i was just proving how wrong your opinion was.
Actually, it doesn't make my opinion "wrong" at all. How sad that you think so. I guess by that same logic you also think Titanic is the greatest movie of all time. It must be fun getting your opinions from what the majority thinks. If not fun, at least it's easy.

And what? we have to refer to Swearing Now? i thought u were much more mature then that
Then you don't know me very well. Or at all. I cuss like a sailor!

Movie Forums Member
Actually, it doesn't make my opinion "wrong" at all. How sad that you think so. I guess by that same logic you also think Titanic is the greatest movie of all time. It must be fun getting your opinions from what the majority thinks. If not fun, at least it's easy.

Then you don't know me very well. Or at all. I cuss like a sailor!
No i just wanted to PROVE your opinion wrong,which also doesn't exactly make your opinion wrong. and no i don't think Titanic was the best movie ever but is one of the best. and it must be fun for you to be constantly swearing.

Why would i want to know you? you cuss therefore you're RUDE

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well **** me silly, I side with Holds.

I do admit I was originally lulled and sweet talked by Kung Fu Hustle when I saw it a few months back. I thought it was the perfect blend, just as you do fireyhope, so much so that I showed it to a bunch of friends. Second time around it's not so grand. The CGI changes from loose and silly to borderline offensive. The jokes that were funny the first time around were still funny the second time around, but the rest of the humor faded away. And as a whole the action was very sub-par.

Though I still do stand by the musician sequence being one of the most imaginative and plucked from a dream sequences I've ever seen. It was handled with such care and zeal that it is easily the highlight of the movie for me.

I love the begining, I love the little dance with the shotgun and I love the first 20 minutes or so of the ghetto, but it buckles inwards under the weight of it's own absurdity.

EDIT: For your consideration.

Originally Posted by OG-

I do admit I was originally lulled and sweet talked by Kung Fu Hustle when I saw it a few months back. I thought it was the perfect blend, just as you do fireyhope, so much so that I showed it to a bunch of friends. Second time around it's not so grand. The CGI changes from loose and silly to borderline offensive. The jokes that were funny the first time around were still funny the second time around, but the rest of the humor faded away. And as a whole the action was very sub-par.

Though I still do stand by the musician sequence being one of the most imaginative and plucked from a dream sequences I've ever seen. It was handled with such care and zeal that it is easily the highlight of the movie for me.

I love the begining, I love the little dance with the shotgun and I love the first 20 minutes or so of the ghetto, but it buckles inwards under the weight of it's own absurdity.

Too bad you're so very, very wrong, OG-. I guess you didn't realize Lou Lumenick of the NEW YORK POST declared "Kung Fu Hustle is an absolute hoot", and it won some awards in Asia.

Hurts to be proved wrong, don't it?

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by OG-

EDIT: For your consideration.
i do somewhat agree and that Link was quite funny lol, i personally though can't agree with you about the sub par action i thought the buddah hand thing was awesome

Movie Forums Member
Too bad you're so wrong, OG-. Lou Lumenick of the NEW YORK POST declares "Kung Fu Hustle is an absolute hoot", and it won some awards in Asia.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kung_fu_hustle/

fresh 51
rotten 8

wow 1 critic you mention doesn't like it! amazing! And what? some of the best movies will eventually get bashed by someone sometime. there is no perfect movie

and Yes it did win Awards in Asia and won the best movie award in Asia.

Too bad you're so very, very wrong, OG-. I guess you didn't realize Lou Lumenick of the NEW YORK POST declared "Kung Fu Hustle is an absolute hoot", and it won some awards in Asia.

All that's left is a bottle, some pills, a knife and my throat.

wow 1 critic you mention doesn't like it! amazing! And what? some of the best movies will eventually get bashed by someone sometime. there is no perfect movie
Maybe I'm not as adept a reader as I thought I was, but I'm pretty sure Holden's cited critic liked the movie. Unless we're calling endorsements bashes these days?

Originally Posted by OG-
Maybe I'm not as adept a reader as I thought I was, but I'm pretty sure Holden's cited critic liked the movie. Unless we're calling endorsements bashes these days?
Why worry about reading comprehension at this point?

Sorry, I mean why in the fu*k worry about reading comprehension and ***** at this damn point?

Hmm…someone feeling like a negative review of a movie that he/she loves is somehow something to get all up in arms about…that’s new.

Don’t worry about people not liking Kung Fu Hustle as much as you; you still have an enormous company of people who do to keep you chatting for days. I don’t know of any other people other than us four that have seen it here, though. Just remember: there are people here that don’t like films that only say so by saying they don’t…at least Holden and OG- have pointed out exactly why they aren’t going to join you in fawning all over it. People just saying, “It sux!” is much more frustrating.

Personally, Kung Fu Hustle was one of my most anticipated films of the Spring, and it was because of the trailer (which I think is spectacular) exclusively, because I’ve never seen Shoalin Soccer. I didn’t hate it, but I was disappointed. The trailer made it look as if it where going to be this really amazing and unreal…surreal…experience, but it ended up being nothing more than sight gags, winking nods at specific genres, and lots and lots of taking little jokes and running with them…one step too far.

I agree with Holden where he mentions the knife sequence being the funniest, and best part of the film. But even that really great moment is taken one step too far. It’s like Chow thinks up a funny sequence and can’t let it go until the last chuckle has been completed. It kind of ruins the funny moment when you stop to think that the last gag was unnecessary. Oh well.

I’d grade it as a solid B instead of the C+ Holden gives it, mainly because it reaches its target audience so well and has a strong heart to it…not too mention that I’m an old softy.

BTW: I’m probably the only person to get a little turned on by the Landlady after she drops her curlers and scarf pretenses. What the hell is wrong with me?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
BTW: I’m probably the only person to get a little turned on by the Landlady after she drops her curlers and scarf pretenses. What the hell is wrong with me?
Don't talk to me ever again.

What?! She has a pretty face when it doesn't have a sneer or cig on/in it. Not to mention she's quite round. I kinda like round.

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
What?! She has a pretty face when it doesn't have a sneer or cig on/in it. Not to mention she's quite round. I kinda like round.
i am suprised you didn't talk about how the landlady looks like when she is about to do the lions roar