Scratch

→ in
Tools    

Murderous Whirlwind of Wit
Scratch - 2001 - Directed by Doug Pray

The hip-hop DJ. A musical artform/artist that most individuals give no credit or respect to, or are unaware of the talents that these men and women possess and provide as musicians.

SCRATCH is an in depth look at where the artform of scratching, and how the hip-hop DJ, arose. Doug Pray does an incredibly detailed job covering the underground culture, in attempt to spread word on the growing phenomenon. His extensive research led him to create one of hip-hop's most recognizable films with respect to the Charlie Ahearn's legendary "Wild Style".

In order to make an effective film on hip-hop, especially of this specific concentration of the culture, Pray had to engage interviews with everyone, new and old, from Grand Wizard Theodore and GrandMixer DXT to today's ever popular DJ Babu, Mix Master Mike, DJ Premier and the DMC record holding savage of scratching DJ Qbert. All the interviews go beyond simply discussing scratching and hip-hop, as they establish the foundation, elements and positivity provided by the culture.

Technically speaking,the cinematography was creative and added to the film's feel for the subject matter. The "scratching" style editing was brilliant and added to the film's theme and pacing. SCRATCH's smooth flow is laced with original beats that spawned the culture itself. The talented Doug Pray also edited the documentary.

I understand the hip-hop doesn't attract or appeal to everyone, yet SCRATCH is an incredibly well crafted documentary. Once an official selection at Sundance, Scratch is guaranteed to teach you something new about the underground culture and this outstanding artform. Hip-hop enthusiasts, filmmakers should watch this film for it is groundbreaking for the culture and is well beyond your everyday documentary.

Also recommended:
Marc Singer - Dark Days
Charlie Ahearn - Wild Style

If you have seen SCRATCH or any of the other titles, please let me know your thoughts.

Peace!

Radio Raheem

"Don't believe the HYPE!"

Nicely written review. "Scratch" was indeed a great documentary. It made me want to pick up the turntable, like "Dogtown and Z Boys" made me want to pick up the skateboard, and "The Source" made me want to be a beat poet.