"Night Sky" series

Tools    

Has anyone watched this series with J.K. Simmons and Sissy Spacek? It's on Amazon. I just finished up Season 1, and enjoyed it, but I'm not going to bother with a review if no one watches Amazon anymore..

The Adventure Starts Here!
A lot of folks watch stuff on Amazon Prime!

I just started this show last week. I'm heading off to watch episode 2 right after I write this post, as a matter of fact. It's got some good reviews, and I can already see why. It's a fun idea, and of course Simmons and Spacek are superb. They have a believable chemistry between them, too. Anyway, I obviously only have a basic feel for the show since I'm only 1.5 episodes in.

IMO it has one of the greatest 1st episodes that I've seen. Sucked me right in. The show takes an early turn that took me by surprise. There's a lot of ways the story could have gone. But I'll leave that to the professional writers..

I agree with Austruck that Spacek and Simmons have good chemistry-- a very believable old couple. Spacek's acting is the strongest, and some of the minor characters are a little weak. She deserves an Emmy nomination for sure. Ole reliable Simmons is good too. He plays a slightly dim bulb, but there were a few times when he slipped into his intelligent self.

It's interesting-- I read that Ed O'Neill had joined the cast, but left a month later. He'd actually be a little more age appropriate (76) for Simmons' role, and his portrayal would have been much different.

IMO it has one of the greatest 1st episodes that I've seen. Sucked me right in. The show takes an early turn that took me by surprise. There's a lot of ways the story could have gone. But I'll leave that to the professional writers..

I agree with Austruck that Spacek and Simmons have good chemistry-- a very believable old couple. Spacek's acting is the strongest, and some of the minor characters are a little weak. She deserves an Emmy nomination for sure. Ole reliable Simmons is good too. He plays a slightly dim bulb, but there were a few times when he slipped into his intelligent self.

It's interesting-- I read that Ed O'Neill had joined the cast, but left a month later. He'd actually be a little more age appropriate (76) for Simmons' role, and his portrayal would have been much different.
I'm three episodes in now... and I can't even envision how Ed O'Neill would have changed things. Simmons just seems to fit the role so smoothly.

I'm unsure which turn you're referring to--but did it happen in those first episodes? I wasn't sure how the two locales' stories were related, but my guess was incorrect now that they've shown us what Toni and her mom are guarding. I was... way off.

I'm three episodes in now... and I can't even envision how Ed O'Neill would have changed things. Simmons just seems to fit the role so smoothly.

I'm unsure which turn you're referring to--but did it happen in those first episodes? I wasn't sure how the two locales' stories were related, but my guess was incorrect now that they've shown us what Toni and her mom are guarding. I was... way off.
Yeah, it was in the second episode, when "Jude" showed up. I wasn't expecting that, after Irene's action. It took me awhile to realize what the object was in the picture window. [I'm trying not to give any of the story away..]

Yeah, it was in the second episode, when "Jude" showed up. I wasn't expecting that, after Irene's action. It took me awhile to realize what the object was in the picture window. [I'm trying not to give any of the story away..]
Dude, that WAS giving stuff away. Please put in spoiler quotes. You accidentally connected some dots for me that I had NOT yet connected. Boooo... I'm sad.

I bought season 1 on Amazon Prime but won't start watching it until its finished. Same with the Jeff Bridges tv series too.

I bought season 1 on Amazon Prime but won't start watching it until its finished. Same with the Jeff Bridges tv series too.
Ha, that’s very wise. I usually try to do that, but gave in these few times.

Watching this too. Love it. Always adored Spacek, and she and Simmons do work well together. Reminds me of a certain section of Los ojos de Julia.
In a very quick sentence, what’s it about? I seem to be clueless here.

In a very quick sentence, what’s it about? I seem to be clueless here.
It’s about
WARNING: spoilers below
a couple in their 70s who discover a portal in their backyard leading to a deserted planet, actual planet. So they start spending lots of time on their roof star-gazing
, which I adore. Really endearing somehow.

I'm going to watch episode 7 today. I'm thoroughly enjoying this show. It has just enough tendrils to stay fascinating, without being so convoluted that I can't keep up without a spreadsheet.

And Simmons and Spacek are just sublime, especially together.

Dang, I want to watch it now, but it’s only on Prime. I hate it when Amazon doesn’t give us the choice to rent the darn thing. It does look awfully good.