Digesting So Many Movies In Short Time = Problem?

Tools    

Ah but surely they're only nitrates if you're watching them after dark - can watch as many as you like during the daytime

I have not! I've heard good things, though.
Despite any recommendations, I found it overrated. I don;t have to lecture anyone on the strong points, but every bit of character development the movie built in the first act was completely halted in the second, and the rest of the movie was practically an orgy of abuse. The direction and story was effective, but I don't think it should've set up so much from the start. I saw an episode of Rawhide with a couple similar plot devices, and I'd rather have a movie made from that episode.

I'll be honest, I was a little angry that Ox-Bow won the western HoF. Not anywhere near as bad as The Shooter but still with Jack Nicholson, but only JUST BARELY 4.5 stars, or 85/100. Bare minimum requirement. It's basically come to the point where 85 doesn't impress me the way it used to.

Even if a person watched 5 movies a day, everyday, they couldn't even put a dent in that number,
Quite. Ask @mark f he does double that and he's still nowhere close.

Also, just so it's been said, The Wicker Man isn't a musical. It just isn't. You want to think it is, that's fine. But it isn't.

@Gideon58, Another musical western you've probably seen is Paint Your Wagon.
I have never watched Paint Your Wagon from beginning to end...one of the worst musicals I've ever seen...the parts of the movie I have seen bored the hell out of me.

While my viewing habits of musicals are not prolific, as it's not a genre I particularly care for at a high level, I don't think I can count on one hand the number of musicals I've seen.

If I only limited myself to what were stereotypical musicals in my head, I don't know how many of them I'd care for (Singin' in the Rain has its moments - and yes, that's one I've seen multiple times in my life. Part of that just by virtue of my age). But more importantly, if I don't do that, there are musicals I do like. And there are musicals I haven't seen that are at least on my, "I should still give this one a try, it might be more up my alley." I might not be rushing out to see them, and my reflexive interest in new musicals is a baseline of disinterest, but if I hear something that makes me think I might be interested in one, I won't completely write it off.

Which I think is what I was getting at, if you completely write off the entire genre in an actual, "hard write-off" as opposed to a "general disinterest," there are probably some (or possibly a sub-genre) that you might actually really like that you're writing off.

I'm not even going to go as far as saying you need to watch Sergio Leone's classic spaghetti westerns one day (though there is very much a divide between those and say those stereotypical Hollywood's classic westerns) or even what are considered Ford's greats (because all I know about you and westerns is that you say you dislike westerns and maybe those are specifically the types you have in mind, maybe only one of them).

Granted, I also asked, "though you might be using a very narrow definition of western that excludes all of the more interesting ones (at least by my reckoning)," which in your follow up statements sounds like you might be since you've said you've seen a pair of western-musicals and one western-comedy (western-parody? How would I classify Blazing Saddles? It's been a long time since I've seen it), you specifically meant a certain (few) type(s) of western (that happens to match what we usually think of when we say westerns and I'm just presuming comprises a lot of those classic westerns), then I would have shrugged and went, "Yeah, sure. That's not too unreasonable. There are some out there that might not be what you think they are though, so be careful in writing off too many. Maybe you should give the big ones a shot at some point just to confirm there's nothing there for you, but no real reason to rush on that."

As it stands, I don't know. Maybe consider this a gentle nudge to potentially give some them some thought. I guess I just remember decades ago in college, when I rented McCabe & Mrs. Miller because it was literally referred to as one of Altman's best just cringing at the idea because, "I don't really care for westerns."
Actually, now that you mention it, I have seen McCabe nd Mrs. Miller as well, which should prove that I have not written off the entire genre, but I've seen a lot of MoFo's on this site who won't even consider sitting through a musical, but for some reason, that's OK. I don't see anyone telling them they should give the genre a chance.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have never watched Paint Your Wagon from beginning to end...one of the worst musicals I've ever seen...the parts of the movie I have seen bored the hell out of me.

I gave this movie a chance because of Eastwood but couldn't finish and can't remember a thing.

Did you like "McCabe & Mrs. Miller"? It's a favorite of mine, and interesting because it was unique, since Westerns (and Noir) can be a bit limiting because they want of the pressure to market a genre. "The Professionals" is another different kind of Western - very philosophical. So well-written, and has a fine cast.

Actually, now that you mention it, I have seen McCabe nd Mrs. Miller as well, which should prove that I have not written off the entire genre, but I've seen a lot of MoFo's on this site who won't even consider sitting through a musical, but for some reason, that's OK. I don't see anyone telling them they should give the genre a chance.
I think that's a very legitimate complaint. An anecdote. Once, maybe on the scale of a decade ago, I posted on a movie forum that I had recently seen Unforgiven and though I was overall positive on it, I wasn't as keen on it as others, and wondered out loud something along the lines of, "maybe this subversion of the genre doesn't play as well if you don't care that much for the western genre." This provoked strong pushback from some. I think I had also seen The Searchers right around that time and was having a similar response to that. I also (silently?) wondered having already seen McCabe & Mrs. Miller a decade earlier, having been spoiled by what a subversion of the western genre could be.

But, I've digressed. The phenomenon you mention is an interesting one. Why did I feel the need to respond to your statement? I'm pretty sure I saw you say you also dislike noir movies. I like noir movies - as a baseline in my mind, I like them much more than a baseline western. So, why the western statement and not the noir one? Maybe because of the direct line you had about westerns and it sounded kind of hard line, so it was there for me to respond to. Maybe it's my own history with westerns (admittedly, I've probably come around on some of them a bit in the past decade - though I'm starting to think I don't care for Client Eastwood). But I suspect it's because my favorite western is so anti-western (which feeds into it being my favorite western), and because I think the broader range of what constitutes a western can hit some interesting movies. i.e. I think it's the, instinctive need to correct a possible misunderstanding. The, "wait, I understand you think you dislike westerns, but I think there are some westerns out there that you might like." If I had asked you about your dislike for noir, I suspect the tone and aims would have been different just because I don't think I have those mental concrete examples in my head of noirs for people who don't like noir (noir is kind of defined by its tone). In that vein, I suspect if I ever start finding a long enough stream of musicals that appeal to me (that don't involve murder and bodily dismemberment), I could see myself start periodically responding to people saying something similar about musicals. But I suspect that's also a personality flaw of mine to be that way.

Sorry to reply with a wall of text to a statement complaining about getting so much pushback when you say you don't like westerns.

I don't see anyone telling them they should give the genre a chance.
They should give musicals a chance.

Admittedly, and this might be personal bias of having seen Singin' in the Rain (back in high school), I do think it's weird if someone thinks of themselves as a cinephile and won't even watch Singin' in the Rain, just because that one ranks so high on so many movie lists from generally respected sources.

Since you all mentioned Clint Eastwood. I love Bronco Billy. I know many dislike it but I remember my parents taking me to the cinema to watch it.

They should give musicals a chance.

I can understand the resistance towards any genre, but as far as I'm concerned, that's just more of a reason to attack yourself with a bout of binge watching.

I used to hate musicals. I used to hate westerns. I used to hate science fiction. I used to hate fantasy. I used to hate noirs. And I systematically destroyed my brain with each until I relented. And I would still rank those years forcing myself to endure all these things I didn't think I liked as possibly the most rewarding and exciting of my life. It was discovering one new continent after another, and meeting all of the people who lived there, and learning all of their customs, and realizing how much id been missing with all of my stupid limitations