Digesting So Many Movies In Short Time = Problem?

Tools    

Wait, didn't you partake in that western HoF a while back? It had The Ox-Bow Incident, The Great Silence, and a few others.

I'm not judging the whole genre by those three movies. I just don't like westerns period, the genre does not appeal to me. It's pure coincidence and nothing else that motivated my viewing those three movies. Let me put it in a way that you might understand...I hate westerns, but I love musicals, have seen just about every major musical ever made, some more than five or six times. How many musicals have you seen? How many have you seen more than once?
While my viewing habits of musicals are not prolific, as it's not a genre I particularly care for at a high level, I don't think I can count on one hand the number of musicals I've seen.

If I only limited myself to what were stereotypical musicals in my head, I don't know how many of them I'd care for (Singin' in the Rain has its moments - and yes, that's one I've seen multiple times in my life. Part of that just by virtue of my age). But more importantly, if I don't do that, there are musicals I do like. And there are musicals I haven't seen that are at least on my, "I should still give this one a try, it might be more up my alley." I might not be rushing out to see them, and my reflexive interest in new musicals is a baseline of disinterest, but if I hear something that makes me think I might be interested in one, I won't completely write it off.

Which I think is what I was getting at, if you completely write off the entire genre in an actual, "hard write-off" as opposed to a "general disinterest," there are probably some (or possibly a sub-genre) that you might actually really like that you're writing off.

I'm not even going to go as far as saying you need to watch Sergio Leone's classic spaghetti westerns one day (though there is very much a divide between those and say those stereotypical Hollywood's classic westerns) or even what are considered Ford's greats (because all I know about you and westerns is that you say you dislike westerns and maybe those are specifically the types you have in mind, maybe only one of them).

Granted, I also asked, "though you might be using a very narrow definition of western that excludes all of the more interesting ones (at least by my reckoning)," which in your follow up statements sounds like you might be since you've said you've seen a pair of western-musicals and one western-comedy (western-parody? How would I classify Blazing Saddles? It's been a long time since I've seen it), you specifically meant a certain (few) type(s) of western (that happens to match what we usually think of when we say westerns and I'm just presuming comprises a lot of those classic westerns), then I would have shrugged and went, "Yeah, sure. That's not too unreasonable. There are some out there that might not be what you think they are though, so be careful in writing off too many. Maybe you should give the big ones a shot at some point just to confirm there's nothing there for you, but no real reason to rush on that."

As it stands, I don't know. Maybe consider this a gentle nudge to potentially give some them some thought. I guess I just remember decades ago in college, when I rented McCabe & Mrs. Miller because it was literally referred to as one of Altman's best just cringing at the idea because, "I don't really care for westerns."

While my viewing habits of musicals are not prolific, as it's not a genre I particularly care for at a high level, I don't think I can count on one hand the number of musical I've seen.

And more importantly, if I only limited myself to what were stereotypical musicals in my head, I don't know how many of them I'd care for (Singin' in the Rain has its moments - and yes, that's one I've seen multiple times in my life. Part of that just by virtue of my age), but there are musicals I do like. And there are musicals I haven't seen that are at least on my, "I should still give this one a try, it might be more up my alley." I might not be rushing out to see them, and my reflexive interest in new musicals is a baseline of disinterest, but if I hear something that makes me think I might be interested in one, I won't completely write it off.

Which I think is what I was getting at, if you completely write off the entire genre in an actual, "hard write-off" as opposed to a "general disinterest," there are probably some (or possibly a sub-genre) that you might actually really like that you're writing off.

I'm not even going to go as far as saying you need to watch Sergio Leone's classic spaghetti westerns one day (though there is very much a divide between those and say those stereotypical Hollywood's classic westerns) or even what are considered Ford's greats (because all I know about you and westerns is that you say you dislike westerns and maybe those are specifically the types you have in mind, maybe only one of them).

Granted, I also asked, "though you might be using a very narrow definition of western that excludes all of the more interesting ones (at least by my reckoning)," which in your follow up statements sounds like you might be since you've said you've seen a pair of western-musicals and one western-comedy (western-parody? How would I classify Blazing Saddles? It's been a long time since I've seen it), you specifically meant a certain (few) type(s) of western (that happens to match what we usually think of when we say westerns and I'm just presuming comprises a lot of those classic westerns), then I would have shrugged and went, "Yeah, sure. That's not too unreasonable. There are some out there that might not be what you think they are though, so be careful in writing off too many. Maybe you should give the big ones a shot at some point just to confirm there's nothing there for you, but no real reason to rush on that."

As it stands, I don't know. Maybe consider this a gentle nudge to potentially give some them some thought. I guess I just remember decades ago in college, when I rented McCabe & Mrs. Miller because it was literally referred to as one of Altman's best just cringing at the idea because, "I don't really care for westerns."
How about if Gideon gives you a gentle nudge to watch some more musicals? Are you up for it? But Gideon might not even come back to this thread, so how about I give you some musical recommendations that might pique your interest? I'm serious, it's up to you if you give them a try:

I suggest these as being good musicals that aren't too 'musical-ly'
Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
Sweet Charity (1969)
Swing Time (1936)
Cabaret (1972)
Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)

I'd be less worried about running out of movies (I haven't so far) than I am about not getting out and about. Everybody needs some fresh air and exercise.

How about if Gideon gives you a gentle nudge to watch some more musicals? Are you up for it? But Gideon might not even come back to this thread, so how about I give you some musical recommendations that might pique your interest? I'm serious, it's up to you if you give them a try:

Sweet Charity (1969)
Swing Time (1936)
Cabaret (1972)

I enjoy musicals.

My favorites are Brigadoon, Hans Christian Andersen, Xanadu, and Singing In the Rain.

I enjoyed Tommy, The Wall, Across The Universe and several others.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I can count on one hand the westerns I've seen...I've seen True Grit (1969), McLintock! and Tombstone...that's all I can think of at the moment.
I've seen a lot of westerns and while I like those that you mentioned they are not the westerns I would recommend to you based on your movies likes. May I suggest a musical western that I love...
Calamity Jane (1953)
and you might like
Annie Get Your Gun (1950) I'm sure you know this was to be a Judy Garland vehicle but she tanked out and was replaced with Betty Hutton.
I have seen both of these films, as you well know Citizen, but I consider them musicals, not westerns.

@Gideon58, Another musical western you've probably seen is Paint Your Wagon.

@Gideon58, Another musical western you've probably seen is Paint Your Wagon.
I remember watching that with my parents.

Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood.

There were several films, that we watched, every time they were on and that was one.

Ben Hur, Sound of Music, The Ten Commandments, Wizard of Oz and every Rankin Bass holiday show.

I enjoy musicals.

My favorites are Brigadoon, Hans Christian Andersen, Xanadu, and Singing In the Rain.
I love all four of these musicals.

I enjoyed Tommy, The Wall, Across The Universe and several others.
I like Across The Universe too.

I remember watching that with my parents.

Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood.

There were several films, that we watched, every time they were on and that was one.

Ben Hur, Sound of Music, The Ten Commandments, Wizard of Oz and every Rankin Bass holiday show.

When I was younger, my mom and I watched The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, and most of the Rankin Bass holiday shows every year. We also watched Singin' in the Rain every time it was on, as well as some old comedies like Arsenic and Old Lace, Sunday in New York and Barefoot in the Park too.

Sweet Charity (1969)
Swing Time (1936)
Cabaret (1972)
Though I've only seen it once, and it's now been decades, the musical that's probably my favorite (though long overdue for a rewatch and re-assessment) is Dancer in the Dark.
Other musicals I like and have seen (multiple times): The Wickerman, The Phantom of the Paradise, and Little Shop of Horrors. There's probably a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Umbrellas of Cherbourg is the big one on my list of to-see's that I think I might like (I'll probably finally get around to it in the next year or so). After that is All That Jazz (which I'd probably have seen by now if it were more readily accessible. If it ever pops up on streaming I'll probably end up jumping at it just because of the frustration of being denied my instant gratification before). Speaking of Bob Fosse... I've seen a live performance of Cabaret, I will say that's more up my alley. I'm curious to see the film version of it.

After Sondheim passed away, I heard in one of his obituaries, I think (or maybe just some general essay some person wrote online), that his musicals translated better to England because they didn't have the saccharine mindset of most American musicals. This kind of got my antennae up because I think (as it might be guessed from the examples above), that is often one of my key issues with "musicals". So, at some point (my backlog for "at some point"s is quite lengthy, so my gentle nudge towards Gideon is to at least not block these off of one's ever expanding queue, so set expectations appropriately). For the sake of Sondheim, not counting West Side Story since I've seen it - admittedly way back when, but in my memory, not quite what I'm looking ofr.

Swing Time I've seen. It has its merits, but I'm mostly luke-warm on rom-coms from that era as well, so that's also kind of where I landed on that (I guess luke-warm is better than luke-cold). In some confusing contrast to that sentiment, I do like the (admittedly few) Gilbert and Sullivan productions I've seen.

Sweet Charity - Despite knowing the title, wouldn't be able to guess what it's about. Looking at the wiki page.... Interesting. That could end up on the queue, I guess it's tentative on the other Bob Fosse.

Gold Diggers of (1933) - I don't know how to describe my gut, but without having seen any Busby Berkeley movies, I don't think this one is going to be up my alley.

Fiddler on the Roof - I have mixed thoughts on my impression of what this might be like. The era and popularity makes think it's just not going to be my thing. On the other hand, a story about a Jewish family set in early 1900's Russia has got to be... bleak, right?

ETA: Reading some of the posts made while I was writing this. Ah, ****. I forgot about Tommy. That's probably the highest up on my queue of musicals to see. Oh, and yes, I did enjoy Annette. Not a top 10 film of the year, but like I said, I don't write off movies just because they're musicals, which was my general point of my post to Gideon.

@Little Ash

If you consider The Wicker Man (1973) a musical, then one of my #1 English Speaking films is a musical. Yes, it has some singing but it's still a horror. It's not uncommon for 70s films of most genres to have singing in them.

I love all four of these musicals.

I like Across The Universe too.
I forgot a musical that I love - The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

That film can be so much fun!

@Little Ash

If you consider The Wicker Man (1973) a musical, then one of my #1 English Speaking films is a musical. Yes, it has some singing but it's still a horror. It's not uncommon for 70s films of most genres to have singing in them.
Nothing good ever comes from a creepy child singing! - Scrooge McDuck, 2020.

I think I've seen Rocky Horror over 100 times, but I never really liked it. Back in my college days, all my friends went to see it every Friday and Saturday night, so my choices were to go see a movie I didn't like, or stay in my dorm room by myself.

But on the lighter side, I met my college boyfriend at that movie, and we bonded over being the only two people there who didn't like the movie. We were both just there because our friends were there. (He took me to see Pink Floyd's The Wall one night, and I found out that I didn't care for that movie either. )

Nothing good ever comes from a creepy child singing! - Scrooge McDuck, 2020.
I think there are many films with creepy children singing! 😳

@Little Ash

"One of your #1 English Speaking films"? Well, I think "more unique" is a valid phrase in the English language, so I guess I shouldn't raise my eyebrow at that statement too much.

The movie has more than some singing. The movie didn't work for me the first time I watched it, but on the subsequent rewatch, roughly around the time of the barmaid doing her I-lust-for-you-song, it dawned on me that it was partially a musical, and things clicked into place. While some of the singing could have been construed as being a diegetic musical, like the preceding "The Landlord's Daughter," I feel some of them could not (such as the I-lust-for-song). There just aren't large coordinated dance routines that the popular conception of musicals do. Diegetic musicals (such as Once (2007)) I think usually don't have any (I still haven't seen Sing Street. I'd probably be generally positive on it).

Ah, I've thought of another musical I like that I've seen multiple times (as in 2 times, which is more than once) - The Lure (2015).

ETA: in case it isn't clear, I don't think The Wickerman being a musical is mutually exclusive with it being a horror movie.

@Little Ash

I have 2 #1 English speaking films - The Wicker Man and A Clockwork Orange.

I watch many non English films.

So yeah, I separate by my native language and non native.

I need to watch that one soon. I know Wooley is a huge fan of it, in particular.

As for my favorites:

All That Jazz
Cabaret
Duck Soup
Dumbo
Le Million
Meet Me in St. Louis
The Music Man
My Fair Lady
Top Hat
The Young Girls of Rochefort

I need to watch that one soon. I know Wooley is a huge fan of it, in particular.
Better with ppl who the right words to say at hhe right time and the dances.

Because if this we had a new line added

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_...se?wprov=sfla1

There is a scene where they are on a walkway and you get to yell, " Hey, get off that walk way, this is Kansas City!!"