Uncensored video of Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars

Tools    

See...I had Judi Dench kicking Billie Eilish in the lady parts...so I lost the pool.

I guess Will next movie will be The Pursuit of Chrisbitchass

See...I had Judi Dench kicking Billie Eilish in the lady parts...so I lost the pool.

Only if the immortal phrase Rebecca Martinson coined in her email to her Delta Gamma sorority sisters were used to describe this event.

I really want to get Smith and Gervais in the same room now, because I am pretty sure Ricky would just keep going.

Victim of The Night
Anyway, I don't see what Will did as a big deal; Rock was punching down with his joke, so Smith punched him down, you know?
Seriously?

This is straight up some West Philly ********. I know where this guy comes from and that was no joke. "DON"T MESS WITH WEST PHILLY" says anybody from my neighborhood.

Jada revealed four years ago that she has alopecia, so Smith didn't really need to apologize to Rock, as I see it.

So the mature and adult and non-criminal response to someone who has made a joke, even if it was in bad taste, is to hit them?

That's ridiculous.

The notion that we are supposedly in a culture where we are trying to be better people, and the way we keep that in check is to physically attack people who say things we don't like, is some backward ass thinking.

I'm not some complete pacifist who doesn't think there are times where it is at least somewhat understandable to strike back at someone. But even when it is understandable, it is almost never the best course of action. It should be a last resort. Which means I hardly can ever see a joke being an excuse.

And what line do you draw in the sand once you consider this acceptable? I'm pretty sure anyone could come up with a reason why a joke hurt their feelings or made them feel misunderstood or unloved or different. What if the joke had been about Jada Pinkett Smith investing a tonne of effort and hopes and her life savings into a GI Jane 2 project, and it had been a complete failure, and she'd been staying up all night crying, and Will Smith had been consoling her? Maybe that failure of a movie made her distrust her worth as a human being. Maybe it was an even worse fate than alopecia. Could Will Smith still hit Chris Rock over that GI Jane joke?

“I was cured, all right!”
The hipocrisy of the beautiful people in Hollywood is beyond me. If this is really for real, than I realy hope Chris brings Will Smith to justice. Also, props to Chris (judging that it was true) for his posture.

The hipocrisy of the beautiful people in Hollywood is beyond me. If this is really for real, than I realy hope Chris brings Will Smith to justice. Also, props to Chris (judging that it was true) for his posture.
I mean, I’m never generally for punching people, but why/how the **** is that joke okay? Her hair loss is due to a health issue and she has made it known it bothers her/has caused some anxiety. When I had an asthma-like breathing condition people would follow me and imitate my breathing, it felt awful and was anything but a joke though they would call it such - admittedly they were in their early teens in a boarding school, and this is an adult male in charge of a giant room and ambiance thereof.

Good on Will.

I mean, I’m never generally for punching people, but why/how the **** is that joke okay? Her hair loss is due to a health issue and she has made it known it bothers her. When I had an asthma-like breathing condition people would follow me and imitate my breathing, it felt awful and was anything but a joke - admittedly they were in their early teens in a boarding school, and this is an adult male in charge of a giant room and ambiance thereof.

Good on Will.
Punching someone is never the answer. Will has always been the "peace" guy. Hypocritical. He could react with negativity towards Chris without this horrible act.

Punching someone is never the answer. Will has always been the "peace" guy. Hypocritical. He could react with negativity towards Chris without this horrible act.
I firmly believe we’re all hypocrites. In my experience, in such cases people never quite get it through their skulls how traumatic such jokes are until they can feel it. It’s Chris’ right to make the joke (I don’t condone censorship) and Will’s right to respond as he sees fit.

I take it you’d rather she and Will both swallowed it. Been there, heard that.

The punch does look a bit unnatural, but I think that might just be because they are camera-conscious people.

You ready? You look ready.
Will was simping hard last night.

And props to Chris. That man can take a slap.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I firmly believe we’re all hypocrites. In my experience, in such cases people never quite get it through their skulls how traumatic such jokes are until they can feel it. It’s Chris’ right to make the joke (I don’t condone censorship) and Will’s right to respond as he sees fit.

He could blast Chris during the break and ask him to publicly apologize to Jada. One of a million different ways he could act.

The punch does look a bit unnatural, but I think that might just be because they are camera-conscious people.

If we have a society which allows people to hit you when you say things they don't like (or worse, I don't know what you mean by 'as seems fit'), isn't this at least right next door to censorship, if not actual censorship?

Also, you can react to something you don't like in a myriad of ways before you hit them. He could have called him out from his seat. He could have slammed him in a press conference after the event. All things which may have garnered more universal sympathy for what a bad taste joke that was. But instead he hit Rock. Which will be an action likely to be hung around his neck for years. Which will almost certainly make him the butt of even more jokes. And which will cloud the inappropriateness of Rocks joke, possibly having the opposite effect of having Pinkett-SMith the butt of even more alopecia jokes, at least through association.

He could blast Chris during the break and ask him to publicly apologize to Jada. One of a million different ways he could act.
I do not disagree that he could. But it’s not the same. “Publicly apologise”, dear Lord, what did that ever do? There is a masochistic tendency to look classy when trying to react to disrespect so as not to “stoop to someone’s level”, I could never understand it. The person responsible for the insult usually couldn’t care less about the classiness of it.

Not to mention that had it been a non-pc joke about any of the social justice obsessions of the day, Will would have been lauded as a hero and Chris out of job with his reputation destroyed. I write this and find myself agreeing with the one of the above posts that yes, the hypocrisy is unthinkable.

I think it’s genuinely horrible that he said that, and the Smiths are well within their right to take offence.

But it’s not the same. “Publicly apologise”, dear Lord, what did that ever do? There is a masochistic tendency to look classy when trying to react to disrespect so as not to “stoop to someone’s level”, I could never understand it. The person responsible for the insult usually couldn’t care less about the classiness of it.
I understand your point of view and respect that. I was here thinking: there are some things in our lives that can make us lose control. I can't understand how a "comedian" can react this way to a joke, but maybe it was too much for the guy to see his wife swallow it - I still disagree with his reaction and really hope Chris brings him to the court. Losing control doesn't take away his responsibilities.

Not to mention that had it been a non-pc joke about any of the social justice obsessions of the day, Will would have been lauded as a hero and Chris out of job with his reputation destroyed. I write this and find myself agreeing with the one of the above posts that yes, the hypocrisy is unthinkable.
I agree.