Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

Isn’t an orb a spherical body? I.e., they’re both the same thing?
I don't know the formal definition of a spherical body, but I'd intuit it to mean the larger set of geometrical shapes that I'd loosely describe as sphere-like (not using a formal term afaik with that). e.g. which includes ellipsoids, which wouldn't just be spheres. A subset of which includes oblate spheroids, which the post was differentiating from being a sphere.

Math can get highly pedantic.

Is this for random factoids?

If so, I learned that the Dutch language is more like English than Deutsche (German). I'm a native English speaker and have studied German in high school 37 years ago and still remember quite a bit. I would love to learn Dutch. It's more the pronouncation of certain constants and vowels more than anything. I have learn to read some Old and Middle English, which helps.

The American English language is made up from so many cultures and other languages.

A great documentary for this is The Adventures of English. Also, there is a book to this as well.

That the term gerrymander is a portmanteau of the name Gerry and the mythical animal, a Salamander.

From Wiki...

The word gerrymander (originally written Gerry-mander; a portmanteau of the name Gerry and the animal salamander) was used for the first time in the Boston Gazette (1803–1816)—not to be confused with the original Boston Gazette (1719–1798)—on 26 March 1812 in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The word was created in reaction to a redrawing of Massachusetts Senate election districts under Governor Elbridge Gerry, later Vice President of the United States. Gerry, who personally disapproved of the practice, signed a bill that redistricted Massachusetts for the benefit of the Democratic-Republican Party. When mapped, one of the contorted districts in the Boston area was said to resemble a mythological salamander.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

I always thought Demin was created in the US but thanks to Rick Steves, I know it's a product created by the French. It was created in Nimes, hence , denim (of Nimes)

That other people thought Elizabeth Olsen was one of the Olsen twins.

Leonard Rossiter, who played Captain Quin in Barry Lyndon also plays the male, Russian scientist in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I found this out while playing the, "I recognize this face," game while watching the Bondsploitation film, Deadlier than the Male.

Not to stand anywhere near the wife when she's using a spraygun filled with varnish
Actually just make that when she's holding a spraygun - probably safer

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I was reading a book written by Jim Morrison's former brother-in-law (Alan Graham - I Knew Jim Morrison) that in the late 60s, they were all at Jim's house and decided to see this movie on TV. After Tommy Udo throws down that woman in her wheelchair down the stairs, Jim said "I found Jesus" and was laughed at by his siblings. The author said, "The Morrisons were non-believers. All of them" and wasn't sure if Jim was being serious or not (which seemed to be the norm)..... So I saw the move this morning, and it was the first one that got my attention, and kept my attention. It's been at least a month since I saw a movie. I think I'm just going to use a system of associations from now.. More often, anyway.

That the term gerrymander is a portmanteau of the name Gerry and the mythical animal, a Salamander.

From Wiki...

The word gerrymander (originally written Gerry-mander; a portmanteau of the name Gerry and the animal salamander) was used for the first time in the Boston Gazette (1803–1816)—not to be confused with the original Boston Gazette (1719–1798)—on 26 March 1812 in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The word was created in reaction to a redrawing of Massachusetts Senate election districts under Governor Elbridge Gerry, later Vice President of the United States. Gerry, who personally disapproved of the practice, signed a bill that redistricted Massachusetts for the benefit of the Democratic-Republican Party. When mapped, one of the contorted districts in the Boston area was said to resemble a mythological salamander.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering
One of my favorite stupid jokes: I had a friend who's brother-in-law was named Jerry.
One day I went over my friends house and saw Jerry walking around the side of the house (he was out having a cigarette). When I went in my friend asked if I'd seen Jerry and I said, "Yes, he's outside, just kind of wandering around the house. He's meandering around the house in his own way. He's Jerry meandering!"

That other people thought Elizabeth Olsen was one of the Olsen twins.

But you already knew I was an idiot, so is that really news?

I found out that I'm pretty good with a chain saw. I cut up a dead tree yesterday, and still have both of my legs.

I found out that I'm pretty good with a chain saw. I cut up a dead tree yesterday, and still have both of my legs.
If someone is good with a chainsaw, the rest of us should run!

I found out beer can freeze if it's in the freezer long enough, but air never does.

Depends on how deep your deep freeze gets.

Where are you storing them? I'd suggest the freezer so they'll last into your old age.

In spite of this being ranked at #5 on Letterboxd's top 250, I noticed that nobody I'm following on that site (which includes many of the users here) have logged or even watchlisted it. I also can't seem to recall anyone ever bringing this up on any of the movie forums I've posted at. Am I simply looking in the wrong places, or have most of us somehow not seen this?

In spite of this being ranked at #5 on Letterboxd's top 250, I noticed that nobody I'm following on that site (which includes many of the users here) have logged or even watchlisted it. I also can't seem to recall anyone ever bringing this up on any of the movie forums I've posted at. Am I simply looking in the wrong places, or have most of us somehow not seen this?
I've seen it around as "A Dog's Will" but from my understanding, it's regionally popular in Brazil and not many other places.