CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

I wouldn’t call this a sub genre of any sort yet. Nor a cliché. It’s more of a trend currently.

Well, "genre" is just a fancy way of saying "type" or "class." There's nothing really mythical or sacred about it. At the very least, we can call it a "type" or "sub-type." It will not be a cliche until it is unwelcome because it is predictable. On the other hand, buy this meme stock now, and you will have huge hipster points later.

The trick is not minding
Well, "genre" is just a fancy way of saying "type" or "class." There's nothing really mythical or sacred about it. At the very least, we can call it a "type" or "sub-type." It will not be a cliche until it is unwelcome because it is predictable. On the other hand, buy this meme stock now, and you will have huge hipster points later.
I wouldn’t even grant it that. It’s more of a theme. A theme does not a (sub) genre make, necessarily.

Well, "genre" is just a fancy way of saying "type" or "class."
Not true. And you can Google the two meanings as I don’t have time right now for a lesson in English grammar.

Not true. And you can Google the two meanings as I don’t have time right now for a lesson in English grammar.

It's generally bad form to take offense at a comment that was not addressed to you and then protest that you don't have the time to offer refutation.

The Salty Coroner
Hero cop is trying to solve the crime, but the dead body isn't making sense. Enter the Salty Coroner to provide clues and convenient exposition. He or she cracks wise effortlessly, completely comfortable around death. Often he or she eats a sandwich or another snack while working on a cadaver. Sometimes, the salty coroner wears headphones and listens to their favorite tunes while working over the dead body.

The Salty Coroner is a bit like the figure of death. Just doing a job associated with an outcome which is inevitable and quite indifferent to it all. We're meant to be impressed out how much the person has seen to be so casual about it all. That the person is forced to be so indifferent to it all suggest how hard the cruel world really is, how much some people are forced to see. This emphasizes that the hero cop has also seen a lot and been toughened up by it all, perhaps making us sympathetic to the cop's crusty exterior.

Movie Forums Extra
The most common Hollywood movie cliches: from hackers to unsurvivable explosions
The average guy getting the hot girl.
The shy, awkward girl gets the guy. ...
Walking away from a crash that would have killed a normal person.
The 'one last case' before retirement (Also known as: retirony)

It's generally bad form to take offense at a comment that was not addressed to you and then protest that you don't have the time to offer refutation.
“Bad form”? Too funny. Where did I say your post offended me? Again, Google this if you think it merits a “refutation”.

Someone in a movie saying they are absolutely not going to do something or will never do something...

Followed by the next scene showing them doing the exact thing they said they would absolutely never / not do!

Yes. Bad form.

If you want to play, you'll have to play nicer.

Someone in a movie saying they are absolutely not going to do something or will never do something...

Followed by the next scene showing them doing the exact thing they said they would absolutely never / not do!

Good one, Captain Steel

When someone wants to get rid of their iPhone for whatever reason they drop it into a street trash can.

When someone wants to get rid of their iPhone for whatever reason they drop it into a street trash can.

A few years back, everyone was snapping their flip phone burner in half.

A few years back, everyone was snapping their flip phone burner in half.
True. In The Wire they must have gone through dozens of burner phones.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
How do they destroy burners with today's phones? Just break it in pieces still?

How do they destroy burners with today's phones? Just break it in pieces still?
In Euphoria a drug dealer places his phone in a big glass of water when the cops come banging on his door.

Oh why not just break the phone like in Breaking Bad?

Oh why not just break the phone like in Breaking Bad?
The phone in question was an iPhone. Couldn’t break it in half, I would imagine.

That makes sense. Are there any movies or TV shows since Breaking Bad, where it has to show them smash a burner phone to pieces with a hammer or blunt object?