Stranger Things

Tools    

I have enjoyed the season so far overall, but I have come to the conclusion that my interest in 011's storyline has waned at this point, and I just sort of wait for her scenes to be over so I can get back to the characters I enjoy watching more. It's a shame that Sadie Sink's screen time screeched to a halt after she put her Walkman on, as she is easily the better of the two actors when compared to Millie Bobbie Brown.

I am a little bummed to learn that there will be a 5th season - This seemed to be ramping up to a grand finale, and I feel like the time is right to end the show. I guess Netflix doesn't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
I'm surprised too. To my taste the series has gone way off track, especially since there are a lot of ways the writers could have gone. I'm not attracted to its particular juxtaposition of comedy and horror, which seems to me that was done better in the 1950s.

If the show is popular, all power to it. But I had to bail.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Fast forward them to the 90’s, let them grow some facial hair. They’re all 20+ anyways. Mine some new fields of nostalgia and put a bow on it.

Will and Mike finally quench their long simmering thirst of desire. Then Will gets gored by (insert this season’s villain) and Mike is left trying to pick up the pieces. 11 is conflicted on trying to avenge Byers and save the world, because Mike really didn’t love her.

This was definitely a comment on how gruesome violence is okay and young, bad hair love is not.

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
Just finished S4, Volume II.

Still epic, still the best.

PS: Max xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

It's still good, I guess, but I'm not too happy about some of the stuff. Volume II would have needed some trimming, too. I think I'm bracing myself for a lackluster final season, but also hoping that Duffers can deliver something better (at least all the pieces are in the same place now).

Been waiting forever for series 1 to come out on blu ray but my patience ran out after seeing trailers for the latest series, so yesterday I started watching series 1... I'm four episodes in and really enjoying it. Wish I watched it when it first came out!

I never liked it much, but Season 4 Part 2 is the first time I can relate to the discomfort around the bizarre Holocaust references/aesthetic. I don’t even feel like I need to point it out.

Really quite surreal and extraordinary that with sensitivity readers supposedly present on every set, someone looked at that and said, yeah, totally cool, let’s have it in. Wtf. Rampant antisemitism and, as usual, no one cares, that’s not discrimination, that’s life.

Overall I’ve always loved (and continue to love) all things ‘80s; but this one is just incredibly tasteless on every level.

The Final episode could have easily been an hour shorter. Such long ass endings are only meant for series finales. In fact I thought the last two episodes were underwhelming, and part of it was down to knowing that this doesn't end this season.

However, overall this season was a massive improvement on the third season. Anda big reason for it was the plot that was inspired from that horror movie.

The Final episode could have easily been an hour shorter. Such long ass endings are only meant for series finales. In fact I thought the last two episodes were underwhelming, and part of it was down to knowing that this doesn't end this season.

However, overall this season was a massive improvement on the third season. Anda big reason for it was the plot that was inspired from that horror movie.
I agree with you. The last lengthy episode painfully dragged on. It really felt padded to me.

Truthfully I didn't like the series that much, but found it to be "watchable". It did put me in mind of some of the comedy/horror pictures from the 1950s, the difference being that with CGI and improvements in monster costume construction, the creatures look more real.

IMO it's good that the next season will be the final one. I won't be happy about there being another season, but I'll probably watch it...

Really get the feeling that Will’s questioned/implied sexuality is a red herring for being different. Henry was different and they’ve had a connection since s1 👀

Of all the episodes, the finale was the only one that felt too long.

What’s the explanation for the UD that Henry discovers, not being attacked by the locals when he arrives and how it changes to mirror Hawkins?

The Talisman and Needful Things both have some concepts that are likely to show up in s5.

A system of cells interlinked
Finally finished this season...

The season did a lot right, but still ended up feeling like a slog in the end. I enjoyed some story threads much more than others; the eleven stuff is just a drag at this point, and I found myself waiting for her segments to end so we could get back to the better characters and more exciting scenes. I am glad they brought Sadie Sink back into the forefront after sidelining her during the middle of the season - she is an excellent actress and is more fun to watch than Millie Bobby Frown. Most of the cast is great, really, but Sink and the kid that played Eddie really stood out to me this time around. Also: NEED MORE ERICA. She brings a much needed levity to fairly dire proceedings.

So yea, as I mentioned earlier, I am kind of fatigued with the show at this point, and am ready for it to finish up.

I also wanted to mention a particularly stupid line of dialogue that had me gritting my teeth in the final episode:

WARNING: "Stranger Things 4" spoilers below
When Sinclair said something along the lines of "I wanted to be normal, but normal is just a raging psychopath," I physically cringed at how ridiculously stupid it was. I am sick to death of the tired ass trope of how regular kids that like to play sports and do perhaps less interesting things are evil to their core. Totally untrue, way overused, and purposely divisive. The idea that only awkward introverted people are good people is just plain dumb, and I think it's time to put this crap to bed for good. I know plenty of kids that play sports who aren't bullies, and are kind and helpful people. Terrible writing, and about as on the nose as you can get.

WARNING: "spoilery s5 prognostication" spoilers below
I have a strong feeling we are gonna see some time-traveling. If Hawkins is days away from ruin at the end of s4, I don’t see the group hanging out there the whole time. They’ve already emphasized that the UD is stuck on one date and that didn’t really play much of a role, yet. I can easily see them going back to that date, trying to change things and avoid the entire season taking place in a hellscape.

Finally finished this season...
I also wanted to mention a particularly stupid line of dialogue that had me gritting my teeth in the final episode:
Good points. If you want to see a great example of hackneyed, stupid dialogue, just watch an ep or two of Superman & Lois...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Eddie plus Master of Puppets was So epic

My sister said she cried at that part. Dustin the roadie

WARNING: spoilers below
Other than removing him from the board, there was no reason for Eddie to die.

Other than removing him from the board, there was no reason for Eddie to die.
Other than having him die, there was no reason for him to join the cast!

There is sort of a push-pull thing here where they literally need to introduce characters so they can have people die/have stakes without killing off fan favorites. It's a little cheap when you notice it, but usually whether it "works" just depends on how well they establish the new characters. It works for Eddie because he was well written, well acted, and was enough of an archetype that he immediately felt as if he'd always been part of the world. It's a tough balancing act but it worked here, even if the underlying logic is, I think, the same.

Maya Hawke must have some connections…