Tell us all about your phone

Tools    

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from work. Nice phone. Very smooth. Crap battery life though, but I haven't been satisfied with the battery of a smartphone ever since the Qtek 9100 some 7 years ago now.
Yeah, reviews are very strong on that one. CNET actually rated it the #1 phone, ahead of the iPhone 5.

Unrelated: anyone else here use Swype as a replacement keyboard? I just installed it on the new phone (had it on the old one, too), and it still feels like the future of touch screen typing.

You ready? You look ready.
Digging this thread up because I gotta replace my Nokia 3310 3G because of the network shutdown.

I have been agonizing over what I was going to replace it with because there are not a lot of good options in the feature phone department, and I really don't want to have to buy several devices just to find the right one.

I was considering the LG Classic Flip but it runs an outdated version of AOSP, so that's off the table. I had also considered the Nokia 225 because it doesn't have any GPS or other sensor data and runs S30+, but now I am thinking I might wait for the Nokia 2760 Flip 4G. I ain't thrilled about it running KaiOS, but there ain't much in the way of secure feature phones these days. And at this point its more about the form factor than the feature set.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/5/22...ase-date-price

If I felt more daring I'd buy one of those Punkt devices or a LightPhone but those things are WAYY too expensive for what they do and are built upon outdated Android builds.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Duplicate Account (locked)
I refuse to own a cell phone.

I have a good old fashioned land line and an answering machine. I'm a receptionist and spend a large amount of work time on the phone, I don't really want to do the same in my free time.

a call out to miss vicky:

about 9 years have passed since this was posted, Sexy Celebrity (..that sexy celebrity) has said "you will get a phone one day"...well, did you get succumb to the trend vicky? Just curious, no shame either way, I guess you're pretty tough if you haven't though.

I've had the same smartphone for 5 years years now, the samsung galaxy s7. I have no intention of getting another one unless this one stops working. Got plenty of space for music and apps, over the next couple days i'm gonna switch my cell phone service cuz my current provider just doesn't cut it. Luckily, at&t still accepts the s7.

It's funny that this thread was bumped because I came across this old ad from 1989 today. How far we've come:

Did anyone own one of these bricks?

@Yoda, did you ever find your Droid Incredible?

I honestly don't even remember.

Anyway, I moved to a Pixel 2 XL years ago, and upgraded to another Pixel (4a 5G) a year (I think?) ago, and have loved them both. Pixels are great and the latest models are very very affordable relative to other high-end phones. I'll very likely get another later this year or early next.

It's funny that this thread was bumped because I came across this old ad from 1989 today. How far we've come:

Did anyone own one of these bricks?
When I first met my wife (well not my wife back then) she had something very similar from around the same time...The phone was in a padded case that must have weighed 5 pounds and sat on the floor...but wow could that phone call without any noise or signal loss...and it could fry eggs while you talked!

When I first met my wife (well not my wife back then) she had something very similar from around the same time...The phone was in a padded case that must have weighed 5 pounds and sat on the floor...but wow could that phone call without any noise or signal loss...and it could fry eggs while you talked!
I've heard that they generated a lot of heat, and maybe it's just an urban legend, that they also caused tumors. Hopefully, only the former happened and not the latter.

I've heard that they generated a lot of heat, and maybe it's just an urban legend, that they also caused tumors. Hopefully, only the former happened and not the latter.
Luckily in the 10 years that she owned that phone, she only used it once to call me when her tire blew out on the freeway...I went to rescue her. I probably tried the phone a couple of times myself but only for a minute or so. Back then the idea was for emergency use only.

a call out to miss vicky:

about 9 years have passed since this was posted, Sexy Celebrity (..that sexy celebrity) has said "you will get a phone one day"...well, did you get succumb to the trend vicky? Just curious, no shame either way, I guess you're pretty tough if you haven't though.

Don't need one, don't want one, and don't want the expense. I work full time and almost never travel alone. If someone needs to reach me, they can call me at home or at work. If I'm traveling, then I'm with someone who has a cell phone and I can make or receive calls with their phone if I really need to. I have an iPod Touch (yes, they still exist) and an iPad and use Facebook messenger and Apple messenger to text people on them when I have access to wifi, which is most of the time. I also occasionally Facetime people.

Don't need one, don't want one, and don't want the expense. I work full time and almost never travel alone. If someone needs to reach me, they can call me at home or at work. If I'm traveling, then I'm with someone who has a cell phone and I can make or receive calls with their phone if I really need to. I have an iPod Touch (yes, they still exist) and an iPad and use Facebook messenger and Apple messenger to text people on them when I have access to wifi, which is most of the time. I also occasionally Facetime people.

You are my hero! Unfortunately the only type of internet I have around here is mobile internet, so I gotta have a different approach. I've fantasized about not having internet so many times...

Count me as a non-mobile phone owner. I have a landline and that's good enough. It's not like I want to talk to anyone anyway.
I have a land line too. And a $12 cell phone for emergency use only. (If land line goes down our alarm system goes down too. So cell phone necessary to call Frontier repair.)

Cell phone rings all the time. Never given the number to anyone so no clue who is calling & I never answer.

The first cell phone that we had as a family (it was my mom's) was the Nokia 5110. My dad had the business model that came out the year before, and he was specifically told to never use it. We'd have to page him and he'd find a payphone. I miss those days. I hate being reachable 24/7.

I have a work provided iPhone, and I love it and hate it. I have a serious phone addiction from my BlackBerry days and Apple just made it worse.

A system of cells interlinked
I've had the same smartphone for 5 years years now, the samsung galaxy s7. I have no intention of getting another one unless this one stops working. Got plenty of space for music and apps, over the next couple days i'm gonna switch my cell phone service cuz my current provider just doesn't cut it. Luckily, at&t still accepts the s7.
You don't say?

Up until a few months ago, my wife and I had this same viewpoint. I had an S6 and she was with the S7. Both our phones worked perfectly, and we were happy to stick with them until one or both of them broke.

In late August, we went on vacation, taking a road trip up to North Conway, NH, where we rented a little cabin for a week. About 3 nights in, all of a sudden, my wife's phone would no longer connect to the AT&T network. My S6 was still working fine. Thinking it was some oddity related to us being up in the mountains and sort of isolated, we just sort of ignored it until we went home. I did trey to reboot the phone etc. and al the usual nonsense to get it back on the network, btw.

When we got back to our house, the thing still wouldn't come up. I called tech support, and after about an hour on the phone with this person, they were stumped, so they asked me to head to the AT&T store to get a new SIM. I live right near a store, so I popped over and got a new SIM for the phone, It came right up and I went back home and gave the phone back to my wife. 10 minutes later, it started giving us the same problem, and wouldn't connect with the network.

Back on the phone with tech support, this time escalating the call to their alleged "special advanced tech support," who eventually told me "Hmm, for some reason, this phone's ID# has been added to our unsupported devices list. It's because it is a 3G device."

S7s are not 3G. Says so right on the box, and hey, my S6 is still working, yea? No matter. Because it had been added to the list, by AT&T, it could never be removed, and we had to get a new phone. Sounded like a load of **** to me, and an effort to get me to buy more phones. I told them to stick it, and said I was going to Verizon.

Went to Verizon, but they claimed there was a phone shortage, and that all they had were either the newest flagship Android, or the newest flagship iPhone, both of which were too expensive for my cheap ass. Other than that, here's a waiting list, and we can call you when something else is available, which could be a week or a month. Call me? My phone is broken and I told AT&T to kiss my ass, so my other phone will soon be shut off.

Back to AT&T, thank you sir, may I have another, gimme some new phones. At least they had decently priced previous gen S20s for us.

Signed,

Some poor sap.

@Sedai: The S6 has VoLTE enabled by default, but the S7 requires it to be turned on. Have you checked the settings to make sure that setting is on? I don't know if it'll resolve your problem, but if it was turned off it might have flagged itself in their system because it was off when it started "roaming".

I really wish 3G wasn't being turned off but all carriers are forcing users to buy VoLTE phones, and I am extremely pissed about the lack of options because of it.

A system of cells interlinked
@Sedai: The S6 has VoLTE enabled by default, but the S7 requires it to be turned on. Have you checked the settings to make sure that setting is on? I don't know if it'll resolve your problem, but if it was turned off it might have flagged itself in their system because it was off when it started "roaming".

I really wish 3G wasn't being turned off but all carriers are forcing users to buy VoLTE phones, and I am extremely pissed about the lack of options because of it.
That was the first thing they had us check on the first tech call, and it was on. Eventually, they told us the device had been added to the unsupported list by accident as they were dumping giant groups of alleged 3G phones over to unsupported in prep for their big network conversion to 5G. They knew what the problem was, but said they couldn't take it off the list once added, as the system wouldn't let them. I said they were the humans, and should be able to tell the system what to do, but they either didn't care, didn't want to take the time to do it, or were indeed just trying to force an upgrade. It got to the point where I was sick of wasting time on it.

The thing was, the speaker (to listen to calls, not the music speaker) in the phone was sort of going to **** anyway, so she kind of needed an upgrade anyway. At least, that is what i tell myself now!

Yeah, not everyone can afford to buy a $1000 phone...I would recommend one of those cheap carriers but I would cheap services

You don't say?

Up until a few months ago, my wife and I had this same viewpoint. I had an S6 and she was with the S7. Both our phones worked perfectly, and we were happy to stick with them until one or both of them broke.

In late August, we went on vacation, taking a road trip up to North Conway, NH, where we rented a little cabin for a week. About 3 nights in, all of a sudden, my wife's phone would no longer connect to the AT&T network. My S6 was still working fine. Thinking it was some oddity related to us being up in the mountains and sort of isolated, we just sort of ignored it until we went home. I did trey to reboot the phone etc. and al the usual nonsense to get it back on the network, btw.

When we got back to our house, the thing still wouldn't come up. I called tech support, and after about an hour on the phone with this person, they were stumped, so they asked me to head to the AT&T store to get a new SIM. I live right near a store, so I popped over and got a new SIM for the phone, It came right up and I went back home and gave the phone back to my wife. 10 minutes later, it started giving us the same problem, and wouldn't connect with the network.

Back on the phone with tech support, this time escalating the call to their alleged "special advanced tech support," who eventually told me "Hmm, for some reason, this phone's ID# has been added to our unsupported devices list. It's because it is a 3G device."

S7s are not 3G. Says so right on the box, and hey, my S6 is still working, yea? No matter. Because it had been added to the list, by AT&T, it could never be removed, and we had to get a new phone. Sounded like a load of **** to me, and an effort to get me to buy more phones. I told them to stick it, and said I was going to Verizon.

Went to Verizon, but they claimed there was a phone shortage, and that all they had were either the newest flagship Android, or the newest flagship iPhone, both of which were too expensive for my cheap ass. Other than that, here's a waiting list, and we can call you when something else is available, which could be a week or a month. Call me? My phone is broken and I told AT&T to kiss my ass, so my other phone will soon be shut off.

Back to AT&T, thank you sir, may I have another, gimme some new phones. At least they had decently priced previous gen S20s for us.

Signed,

Some poor sap.

I basically have just had to reset my phone to keep it working