100 Meaty Favorites

→ in
Tools    

Great job on the list Meat! I'm going to watch Sunshine soon, and try and get a hold of copies of Kikujiro and Sonatine based on your recommendations. I watched Fireworks a ways back, and while I thought it was decent, it didn't impress me enough to delve into the rest of Kitano's work. I think it's time I gave him another chance.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Love your #1 pick Meat. Good job.

HL, not that you'd care, but I'd recommend Sonatine. I haven't seen it for years and years, but I really liked it back then.

Woah, Reservoir Dogs got knocked down a bit further than I had anticipated. Very nice list, sir; there a quite a few similarities between us.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Very well thought-out list, meaty. Just keep watching more movies and rewatch them too. Your writing skills have improved along with your taste and your attitude.

I'd recommend Sonatine. I haven't seen it for years and years, but I really liked it back then.
Now I'm kinda sketchy on that film, I wonder why.

The lame ass video store near my place didn't have either Kitano films, I'm going to have to go to a better source - the library. I did rent Sunshine though, going to watch it tonight. Plus I have a copy of Boiling Point that I've been putting off, maybe I'll watch that too. Gotta love these Friday nights when everyone you know is out drinking and you don't drink anymore.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Fellowship should be ahead of Towers, but oh well.

Suspect's Reviews

Now I'm kinda sketchy on that film, I wonder why.

Plus I have a copy of Boiling Point that I've been putting off, maybe I'll watch that too.
Well, just to put you off that too, Boiling Point would've definately been in top 100 of mine 10 years ago. Not as good as The Killer, by far Woo's best film IMO, but a great film nonetheless.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, just to put you off that too, Boiling Point would've definately been in top 100 of mine 10 years ago. Not as good as The Killer, by far Woo's best film IMO, but a great film nonetheless.
You honestly can't compare John Woo to Takeshi Kitano, though. Both have vastly different styles - it's like trying to say Monty Python is better than Wes Anderson or something.

Anyway, back on topic, nice work Meatwad for eerily predicting at least half my future list.

Wow Meat, must admit I didn't think that this new and improved list would be all that, but it's pretty damn excellent!!! You've got a lot of my favourites high up on your list, and reminded me about some excellent films I have forgotten. Great to see the likes of Heat and The Dark Knight listed so high. I'm not too keen on your top 10, however. I really thought that Eternal Sunshine was seriously overrated. Never been a LOTR fan either, though i appreciate the care and ambition that Jackson went to. All in all, I reckon most the films lower on your list should have been higher. But it's still a great list. Your taste has improved, mate!

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
Nice job meatwad, I'm with Iro in that my list will be eerily similiar if I ever make one. Even though I'm relatively new to this site, I remember when I first started many of your posts were negative repped. You've really savvyed since then. Plus, you are hilarious. Great job.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

The Endlessly Evolving Top 100 List

May 3rd : I will continue to update this list as new favorites appear , but for now here is a recap of the whole thing.

100. Toy Story
99. Army of Darkness
98. The 40 Year Old Virgin
97. Robocop
96. Doubt
95. Thank You for Smoking
94. Takeshis
93. Pom Poko
92. Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace
91. Rear Window
90. 12 Angry Men
89. Chinatown
88. Rain Man
87. Superbad
86. Dial M for Murder
85. Fight Club
84. After Hours
83. The Hunt for the Red October
82. City of God
81. The Bridge on the River Kwai
80. Castle in the Sky
79. Big Trouble in Little China
78. Iron Man
77. Do the Right Thing
76. South Park : Bigger , Longer , and Uncut
75. Raiders of the Lost Ark
74. Battle Royale
73. The Royal Tenenbaums
72. Chasing Amy
71. A Threevening With Kevin Smith
70. Mulholland Drive
69. Southland Tales
68. Laurnece of Arabia
67. O Brother Where Art Thou
66. 12 Monkeys
65. Apocalypse Now
64. Dazed and Confused
63. The Departed
62. Shaun of the Dead
61. Yojimbo
60. Batman Begins
59. Almost Famous
58. Unforgiven
57. Knocked Up
56. Cinema Paradiso
55. Saving Private Ryan
54. An Evening With Kevin Smith
53. The Shining
52. Sunshine
51. The King of Kong : A Fistfull of Quarters
50. Se7en
49. Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea
48. Sweeney Todd : The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
47. E.T.
46. Blade Runner : The Final Cut
45. There Will Be Blood
44. Das Boot
43. L.A. Confidential
42. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
41. Porco Rosso
40. Zatoichi
39. Be Kind Rewind
38. Die Hard
37. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
36. Boogie Nights
35. Pulp Fiction
34. Heat
33. Hard Eight
32. Wall-E
31. Miller's Crossing
30. The Wrestler
29. No Country for Old Men
28. The Godfather
27. Fireworks
26. Punch Drunk Love
25. Clerks
24. Star Wars
23. Ratatouille
22. The Science of Sleep
21. Dr. Strangelove
20. Magnolia
19. Oldboy
18. The Empire Strikes Back
17. Seven Samurai
16. Dawn of the Dead
15. Little Miss Sunshine
14. Zodiac
13. Sonatine
12. Synecdoche New York
11. The Dark Knight
10. Spirited Away
9. Reservoir Dogs
8. Lord of the Rings : Fellowship of the Ring
7. Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers
6. Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. Hot Fuzz
3. Kikujiro
2. Goodfellas
1. The Big Lebowski

14.Zodiac

Every time I watch this I get sucked into the amount of facts and contemplate every suspect , it tells you all this information about the killer , all the clues and you start to get absorbed in it yourself. Really this works to understand the main characters obsession with the Zodiac as years and years start to pass - you realize it's all been time wasted.

Stunning cinematography and great musical choices , a very strong cast , and an impossibly hard idea to film done right - make this the very best of suspense thrillers : if you could even call it that.
I think I +repped you on your whole list, very well done!

The only caveat I have is that I want to make sure you aren't taking this film as 'factual' in any way. This film was based on Robert Graysmith's book and has been proven to be largely inaccurate. In my mind, Graysmith ruined Arthur Leigh Allen's life. Despite police evidence to the contrary, Graysmith repeatedly pointed to Allen as the main suspect. One of the lead detectives took some DNA from Allen prior to his death and this evidence was used later to prove that Allen's DNA did not match the DNA left on the Zodiac letters.

Anyway, I've been studying this case for years and won't pollute your thread with it. Just wanted to make that one comment.

Wow...kudos Meat, for the undertaking and some great choices. I can't imagine how difficult that was to rank them. I agree with many of them, not necessarily in same order, but there are quite a few I've never seen...so you gave me some good viewing ideas. I have not seen Big Lebowski...but I plan to see it because it is so popular. LOTR trilogy is most awesome in my opinion.

Welcome to the human race...
F*** it, I am that bored and there was a shortlist so...

100. Toy Story B
99. Army of Darkness B+
98. The 40 Year Old Virgin C+
97. Robocop B
96. Doubt B
95. Thank You for Smoking B-
92. Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace C+
91. Rear Window B
90. 12 Angry Men B+
89. Chinatown A+
87. Superbad C+
86. Dial M for Murder B
85. Fight Club B+
84. After Hours B+
82. City of God B
81. The Bridge on the River Kwai B+
79. Big Trouble in Little China B+
78. Iron Man B
77. Do the Right Thing B+
76. South Park : Bigger , Longer , and Uncut A-
75. Raiders of the Lost Ark A+
74. Battle Royale B+
72. Chasing Amy B
70. Mulholland Drive B+
69. Southland Tales B-
68. Lawrence of Arabia A+
67. O Brother Where Art Thou B-
66. 12 Monkeys B+
65. Apocalypse Now A+
64. Dazed and Confused A
63. The Departed C-
62. Shaun of the Dead A-
61. Yojimbo B+
60. Batman Begins B
59. Almost Famous C
58. Unforgiven B+
57. Knocked Up D
56. Cinema Paradiso B+
55. Saving Private Ryan C+
53. The Shining B
52. Sunshine B
50. Se7en B+
48. Sweeney Todd : The Demon Barber of Fleet Street C+
47. E.T. C
46. Blade Runner : The Final Cut A
45. There Will Be Blood A-
44. Das Boot A-
43. L.A. Confidential B
42. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade A
39. Be Kind Rewind C
38. Die Hard B+
37. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom B+
36. Boogie Nights C+
35. Pulp Fiction B+
34. Heat A-
32. Wall-E B
31. Miller's Crossing A-
30. The Wrestler B+
29. No Country for Old Men B+
28. The Godfather A-
27. Fireworks B
26. Punch Drunk Love C
25. Clerks A
24. Star Wars B+
23. Ratatouille D+
21. Dr. Strangelove A
20. Magnolia B+
19. Oldboy A-
18. The Empire Strikes Back A-
17. Seven Samurai A+
16. Dawn of the Dead A-
15. Little Miss Sunshine B
14. Zodiac B-
13. Sonatine A-
11. The Dark Knight B
10. Spirited Away B-
9. Reservoir Dogs B
8. Lord of the Rings : Fellowship of the Ring B
7. Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers B
6. Lord of the Rings : Return of the King B+
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind C+
4. Hot Fuzz B
3. Kikujiro B-
2. Goodfellas A+
1. The Big Lebowski A

Overall: B

83.The Hunt for the Red October

The perfect cold war thriller set primarily in the sea. Countless great actors here and crisp beautiful visuals. It lacks the blood and guts from McTiernan's Die Hard - but makes up for it with the historical tension between these two countries.

There is another Cold War film on my list too , with the completely opposite message - as this one shows the reluctance and wise judgment that never allowed the war to start.

and the pacing is like so paced.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...d.php?p=404238

I sense something rotten?