MeatwadSprite's Quick Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

You're shooting out these split second "reviews" so quickly that people can't respond. You posted a pretty strong and vague opinion against one of my all-time favorite films, and I'd like to get the opportunity to defend it. I'm referring to your Requiem for a Dream one:

Originally Posted by meadwadsprite
+ amazing visuals dominate the movie
+ lots of cool scenes
- characters are worthless
- ends in the middle of nothing

C+ the coolest looking anti-drug thing ever
Okay... Requiem for a Dream isn't mean to be "cool". Nor is it an "anti-drug" movie... just to start somewhere. All of the stylistic choices are used to contribute to the frenzied, frantic pacing of the story, which is a huge part of its originality. The hip-hop montages, the Snorri-cam shots, the fish eye imagery, etc... all of that was used as a means of telling the story in an effective way. Aronofsky never intended to make a "cool" film with Requiem for a Dream.

To call it an "anti-drug thing" is a disgrace. That's lowering the film's intelligence to mainstream level. This film doesn't say "don't do drugs". It's an examination of addiction's effects on the human spirit. That's a whole lot different. You can take from it what you will, but this movie has no direct "anti-drug" scenes to speak. It presents a horrifying reality to contribute to the poetic whole of the story, but never makes turning kids away from drugs the main ambition.

Second of all, you said the "characters are worthless". There's no basis for that whatsoever. Although the character development is admittedly scarce, that's because the story is a whirlwind, and these characters are sucked along with it. However, we do see their dreams and regrets through several key moments in the film (I don't know if you were watching). Harry and Marion, for example, show a mutual dream of making each other's lives as happy as possible, and Aronofsky manages to portray this in a perfectly believable way. Sara Goldfarb feels she has nothing to live for now that she gets no attention from her family... she feels like an insignificant old woman. So she turns to her addictions: diet pills and the possibility of having a spot on television. They steer her away from her feelings of isolation, but ultimately drive her insane. Tyrone is a sad little boy who was never given guidance, as is displayed in the ESSENTIAL flashback where he shares a tender moment with his ignorant mother.

Last remark I'd like to comment on: "ends in the middle of nowhere". This has probably the hardest-hitting closure of any film I've ever seen. We see all three characters reduced to their lowest states, curling up in the fetal position in their mindsets of complete loss. They have all been defeated.

I can't allow somebody to rate Rush Hour higher than Requiem for a Dream without at least saying something... so there you are.

See the trailer here:

Rush Hour gets a better rating than Requiem For a Dream? Am I in hell?
hahahaha yeah... that's basically what I said. I'm just going to leave this thread be...

The rating of Pi is ridiculous too, and I don't know what the hell he means when he says that The Godfather Part II is "dominated by close up shots". lol

Although the character development is admittedly scarce
The whole movie is played out like it's supposed to be about it's characters - except we never see what drives the characters : for the exception of the guys mother . The rest of the 3 their only motivation in the whole movie is trying to get drugs - nothing really happens to them.

Ratatouille

+ not only is it the best looking pixar movie to date , but it's one of the best looking movies ever
+ great story , a bunch of twists that never rely on the generic plots you find in animated movies these days
+ fast paced and though it's rated G - it's more furious than a lot of R rated movies
+ good ending

A+ an unexpected hit , pixar was almost dead to me with incredibles and nemo - and all the crappy CGI movies coming out these days , but you can put this in with toy story and a bugs life

The whole movie is played out like it's supposed to be about it's characters - except we never see what drives the characters : for the exception of the guys mother . The rest of the 3 their only motivation in the whole movie is trying to get drugs - nothing really happens to them.
You just responded to one fraction of a sentence in a reply that was literally paragraphs long. Is that all you have to say on it? Halfway through that paragraph that you took a choice snippet from, I explained that the little moments of character study were essential and effective. The three young characters weren't only "out to get drugs". If that's all you got from the film, then you missed the point. I'm sorry, but I can't argue this subjectively.

A system of cells interlinked
But...that is a totally valid motivation FOR A DRUG ADDICT. Get it? Meanwhile, they have other motivations, which are clearly defined in the film. Nothing really happens to them?? Did ya...SEE THE MOVIE? I am thinking you didn't. A whole ******** "happens to them."

Oh, I am still wondering. Are you going to do any reviews in your review thread? I still see exactly zero.

I don't think I'd agree with this, but even if it were true, isn't that to be expected, to some degree? Isn't it realistic that drugs would dominate their thoughts and overwhelm their existing motivations?

EDIT: Sedai beat me to it, and used way more punctuation.

Originally Posted by Yoda
I don't think I'd agree with this, but even if it were true, isn't that to be expected, to some degree? Isn't it realistic that drugs would dominate their thoughts and overwhelm their existing motivations?
Exactly... I think the main point is that they did have existing motivations... of course the drugs are going to warp their vision!

Both, I think...
I didn't like them a whole lot either, but I certainly don't go around shouting about it. lol. I mean, they are both loved by a lot of people.

Lost in never never land
Wait, did he just say he didn't like The Incredibles OR Finding Nemo?

I didn't like Finding Nemo either. But then again, I also didn't like Bugs Life at all.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Right... and called the new Pixar joint "An Unexpected Hit," which is directly out to lunch. The last two Pixar turns were massive hits. Huge. Nothing about this latest is unexpected, as far as I am concerned...

i guess if you like those you probably are a fan of requiem ?
OK. Just what the hell is going on here. What sort of bollocks is this? How, by any stretch of the imagination, do these films have anything to do with one another? I am at a total loss as to the connection here...

Catch Me if you Can

+ christopher walken is hillarious
- characters are compeltly worthless even the main character
- the movie is all about the things the people do instead of them , but then it has lots of scenes that just focus on the character and they fail horribly
- boring story

D- really sucks

Catch Me if you Can

+ christopher walken is hillarious
- characters are compeltly worthless even the main character
- the movie is all about the things the people do instead of them , but then it has lots of scenes that just focus on the character and they fail horribly
- boring story

D- really sucks
I'll just leave this one alone... I'll assume that if you give a movie C or lower, it means it very well could be a masterpiece.

i guess if you like those you probably are a fan of requiem ?
I am, but those films have absolutely nothing in common.

I realize not everyone loves Finding Nemo...but damn near everyone does. Personally, I think it's easily one of the top five family films ever made.

Right... and called the new Pixar joint "An Unexpected Hit," which is directly out to lunch. The last two Pixar turns were massive hits. Huge. Nothing about this latest is unexpected, as far as I am concerned...
Yeah, I don't know where that came from. For one, all Pixar films do well. And for another, it's actually underperforming relative to other Pixar films (it's struggling to crack $200 million domestically).

Then again, this is probably the only guy in the world who owns Like Mike AND Magnolia, so all bets are off at this point.