Barry

Tools    

I'm not getting what the point was of
WARNING: spoilers below
Sally breaking up with Barry. I do get the why of course. She has a history of being with abusive guys and Barry came off as unhinged when he wandered in and asked her to cast Gene in her show. But why did it take hearing it from her costar Katie to make her realize? I also get that Sally is self-centered and kind of oblivious when it comes to anyone else's needs.

Was this meant for fans that see Barry as a sympathetic character? I mean, he was taken in and totally manipulated by Fuches (the single most repugnant character in the show). I keep looking for hidden layers behind everyone's motivations but could it be that simple? Or are they setting this up for further twists? It's a clever and well written show so I will be extremely disappointed and disheartened if they don't.

If you look for specific points for everything that happens on this show, you are going to be disappointed on a regular basis. This show does not follow any basic rules of entertainment.

If you look for specific points for everything that happens on this show, you are going to be disappointed on a regular basis. This show does not follow any basic rules of entertainment.
That's what I meant by clever and well written. It's just that I can't help but feel that whole thing with Sally, Barry and Katie had an underlying relevance that I'm simply oblivious to.
Katie being troubled by it and finally speaking up and then Sally almost immediately acting on it. I just hope it wasn't as facile as it appeared.
Oh well, I'm fully expecting them to expand on it in future episodes.

Don't count on it. I've found all kinds of unanswered questions watching this show, but the show doesn't allow you time to ponder about things that confuse, you just have to keep your eye on the prize and not think about it too much.

I'm not getting what the point was of
Sally breaking up with Barry. I do get the why of course. She has a history of being with abusive guys and Barry came off as unhinged when he wandered in and asked her to cast Gene in her show. But why did it take hearing it from her costar Katie to make her realize? I also get that Sally is self-centered and kind of oblivious when it comes to anyone else's needs.

Was this meant for fans that see Barry as a sympathetic character? I mean, he was taken in and totally manipulated by Fuches (the single most repugnant character in the show). I keep looking for hidden layers behind everyone's motivations but could it be that simple? Or are they setting this up for further twists? It's a clever and well written show so I will be extremely disappointed and disheartened if they don't.
I read it as one of two things.
Either she was in denial about it until Katie brought it up and that’s what made her realize she is in an abusive relationship. Or as someone creating and promoting a show about getting out of an abusive relationship, if other people think she is in one it might undercut the message of her show or make her look like a hypocrite.

I read it as one of two things.
Either she was in denial about it until Katie brought it up and that’s what made her realize she is in an abusive relationship. Or as someone creating and promoting a show about getting out of an abusive relationship, if other people think she is in one it might undercut the message of her show or make her look like a hypocrite.
Hmmm. Either one of those could be the reason.
But she has been shown to be a calculating, ambitious person and the second one sounds exactly like something she would do.

Don't count on it. I've found all kinds of unanswered questions watching this show, but the show doesn't allow you time to ponder about things that confuse, you just have to keep your eye on the prize and not think about it too much.

The point of the show is the premise. EX: The point of The Fugitive is for Richard Kimball to pursue the one-armed man and flee from Gerard. The point of Barry is for Barry to be wacky, confused, violent, leaning towards the light, and desperately trying not to get caught. Social commentary is thrown in on the side with some mini-arcs and surprise deaths, but they're just trying to keep their plates spinning. That's TV save for a few special efforts (e.g, Breaking Bad).

OK, as usual, I feel like I missed something, who the hell are these guys Barry was moving in with at the opening of ep 5? How did they find this ex-soldier to help hunt down Barry? Seems way too convenient for me. It's terrific seeing Gene get the career opportunity of a lifetime but things are going too good to be true for him. Elizabeth Perkins was brilliant in that scene where Sally found out about Joplin being cancelled. Cannot believe that shootout at the grow house in broad daylight, that was awesome! Henry Winkler was brilliant in that scene at Joe Mantgena's house. On the other hand, what happened with the mother and son was totally bizarre. Great show.

Tonight's episode was especially awesome. I thought it was quintessential Barry with the unexpected and random eruptions of violence and unhinged hilarity. It's kinda like watching a Buster Keaton movie. With lots of bloodshed.

Just watched ep 6 and, as usual, feel liked I missed something...Chris and Sharon...was this Sharon's first appearance on the show. LOVE the Asian guy who used to serve with Barry in the army. Don't understand the connection between Laura San Giacomo's character and Gene. Loved Barry's audio text in the outlet store. That was so weird when Vanessa Bayer popped up because earlier in the show I was thinking how much Sally's partner/agent/whatever resembled Vanessa Bayer. Sally needs to get over herself and take what she can get. Don't really get that Mexican girl's attraction to Fuches...love the actor playing her father though. Where have I seen him? I really must have lost track of Fuches' story cause I really don't know where his head is right now. LOVED the guys surrounding Barry in order to identify him before killing him. That highway motorcycle chase was AWESOME! OK, didn't see that final scene coming at all...anyone care to help clarify?

OK, didn't see that final scene coming at all...anyone care to help clarify?
I had all sorts of question about that too. At first I thought it was some sort of
guilt fueled dream sequence on Barry's part. But then what about spotting Fuchse's Kenneth Goulet business card? I'm not sure if Barry has prior knowledge that it's Fuchse's alias. I think he does because I kind of remember Cousineau mentioning his name to Barry. If that's the case then it was a waking dream. Or the woman actually tried to poison him. He'll survive of course in surreal, improbable and gratifying fashion.
I do love this show.

Once again, ep 7 made me feel like I've totally missed something. What was all that with Sally about? She's on the writing staff of one show and her bestie stole her idea for another show? That meltdown in the elevator was terrifying because I have no idea where it came from. The opening to Gene's new show was hysterical but I'm surprised that he seems to have been given this much artistic control over the show. Gene was killing me with that shirt/tie combo. Loving Laura san Giacomo's character...what a hot mess she is. Love Robert Wisdom as Janice's father, though I'm not so sure he should be trusting Fuches. I'm beginning to wonder if Sally is nuttier than Barry. I think Sally's on-line apology did her more damage than good. How does Fuches know Albert? Didn't understand any of what appeared to be Barry's out of body experience with the guy in the church in the opening scene. Impressive direction from the star.

Once again, ep 7 made me feel like I've totally missed something. What was all that with Sally about? She's on the writing staff of one show and her bestie stole her idea for another show? That meltdown in the elevator was terrifying because I have no idea where it came from.
Not quite sure either. If the intent was to show that everyone involved in the entertainment industry are profoundly screwed up human beings then ... okay.

Love Robert Wisdom as Janice's father, though I'm not so sure he should be trusting Fuches.
There's zero danger of that I think. Unless it serves the narrative and the show's contrary way of kicking the audience's feet out from under them. So it would fit right in that a former ninja level PSYOPS/black ops operative could be taken in by a blatantly transparent doofus like Fuchses.

I'm beginning to wonder if Sally is nuttier than Barry.
Maybe not on a nonchalantly-killing-people-for-money level but the first season did set her up as self-absorbed and indifferent to other people's problems.

How does Fuches know Albert?
Barry obviously filled him in about his wartime experiences.

It was either this episode or last episode Sally’s agent offered Sally a job on the writing staff of New Medusas and had to talk her into taking it. I think the reveal with her friend was supposed to be a surprise to the audience to help us understand Sally’s shock and betrayal. Loved Sally’s blowup in the elevator, it was very similar to Barry yelling at Sally at the beginning of the season.

How did Janice's father find out Barry killed Janice? Who was that guy who attacked Barry and Sally? Anthony Corrigan was incredible in Hank's escape scene. I still don't understand why, after everything that has happened, why Gene is trying to protect Barry. I don't believe that everything Barry did for Gene will go up in smoke if Barry goes down. Barry may be a contract killer, but he doesn't have any Hollywood juice. Final scene was superb...interesting to see where this will go.

Wow. Just ... wow. I have no earthly idea where you take a series from this point forward but there is a season 4 coming. But I do trust Hader and Berg to deliver big. Plus they're letting Hader direct all 8 of the final episodes. I'm really jazzed about the last season.

Loved Sally’s blowup in the elevator, it was very similar to Barry yelling at Sally at the beginning of the season.
At first I thought it was a direct callback to that but now I'm not sure. I also thought that
when he saw Gene and Sally in his "coma dream" he assumed it was because he was in danger of dragging them down with him. Which is why he did what he did with Sally. That first time he said "I did this" to her I thought he was saying that he knew that he had set events in motion that had led to that moment. He did of course so maybe it had a double meaning. So he did what he could to save Sally then of course tried to do the same with Gene only to have it blow up in his face. It was all powered by the overwhelming guilt he's been carrying around with him.
The writing on this show never fails to amaze me. They turned the season finale into a Shakespearean tragedy.

Thanks for confirming that was the season finale...I kind of suspected and I agree with you, can't imagine where a 4th season would go, but can't wait to find out.

How did Janice's father find out Barry killed Janice?
He talked to the cops and they told him that Gene had fingered Barry for it but that they were convinced that it was Fuchses AKA The Raven. So he met with/confronted Gene and, being the boss level interrogator type, easily saw through Gene's lies which led to that impressive garage scene between Henry Winkler and Robert Wisdom.

Who was that guy who attacked Barry and Sally?
It was the same guy who shot Fuchses out in the desert and tried to mow down Barry with that machine gun during that highway chase scene. The surviving member of the dirt bikers.

I don't believe that everything Barry did for Gene will go up in smoke if Barry goes down.
Do you mean the ruse Gene used to lure Barry to Jim Moss' home? Or the fact that his entire comeback got rolling when the media aired the misleading story that he helped out a young veteran suffering from PTSD? Since his newfound success hinges on that then yes, it could all disappear just as quickly as it materialized.