What's The Most Important Lesson You Learned In School?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
In 8th grade, we sat in a circle. The teacher whispered a sentence to one student, until it got around to the last one. The story of course, had changed so drastically, and since then, I'm still investigating every witness

Most important: Always stand up to bullying even if you know you're going to get hurt. You won't regret the hurts in the long run, but you will always regret being intimidated or backing down.

2nd Most Important: Typing!

Defense...

Attended an inner city public school system. Detroit Cass Tech, Class of '76!

Hence why " Dazed & Confused" is one of my favorite films. Linklater nailed it on many different arenas.

Defense...

Attended an inner city public school system. Detroit Cass Tech, Class of '76!

Hence why " Dazed & Confused" is one of my favorite films. Linklater nailed it on many different arenas.

I would have never thought this. I figured, "It's a movie. No way things were like this in SE Michigan back then", but I guess I was wrong. Unfortunately, I was c/o 2000 but the one (and only) benefit is being able to listen/get thousands of songs, movies, e-books, and not having to be forced to listen to whatever is popular. I don't even know what IS popular today!

You ready? You look ready.
Don’t be an academic ****up because that’s where all the idiot bullies end up.

I got sent to remedial school twice, and it scarred me pretty bad. Promised myself I’d never end up there again.

I was always the smallest dude in my grade/class, so I developed one hellva sharp tongue because of it.

I always went for the nuclear bomb insults. Put em down with one shot. It’s a kindness.

If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back.

But seriously, the most valuable class I ever took and one I think about almost daily is a critical thinking one I took in college about how to make valid arguments and identify the many invalid kinds (two wrongs make a right, straw man, etc.) Being able to spot BS saves a lot of time and frustration. I only wish I could have taken it earlier.

.... the most valuable class I ever took and one I think about almost daily is a critical thinking one I took in college about how to make valid arguments and identify the many invalid kinds (two wrongs make a right, straw man, etc.) ...
That is interesting to me. I know what a straw man argument is but what would a two wrongs make a right argument look like? Can you give me an example?

That is interesting to me. I know what a straw man argument is but what would a two wrongs make a right argument look like? Can you give me an example?
An example is if a child is being punished for throwing rocks, and he says his brother threw rocks first, as if that makes it okay.

There's a good list of fallacies like that here, by the way.

An example is if a child is being punished for throwing rocks, and he says his brother threw rocks first, as if that makes it okay.

Thanks!

This is too weird - I'm currently talking about straw man arguments on another site and currently have a window open to the same exact site you just linked (where I was looking to make sure I have my "logical fallacy" terminology correct).

I only came to MoFo for a minute to take a break from the other site, I clicked on this thread and now I have 2 windows open to the same "logic" site (one which I found in a search and the other via your link)!

In college, I took a poli-sci 300 level course entitled, "Sex, Drugs, & Politics" and within weeks, I notified the professor I was going, and needed to take the exam early. I remember I had a speeding ticket a week before I left, and the cop wasn't there the first time, "Oh, we called your name" (right when I went to the bathroom - sure), and when it was re-scheduled, he wasn't there again. The judge turned into a human being and said something like, "You won't see me in a while" and I said, "Yeah, I'm going to Amsterdam!" (bitch!)

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The best pizza experience of my life was rectangular! Undercooked, please.

There's a good list