Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
Cruella

Wow, really liked it, I strongly recommend it.

PS: Is it me or Emma Stone reminds of Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn?

Hellbender (2021) on Shudder. This was great, really well done and very cool. It's written and directed by 18 year old Zelda Adams and her parents, John Adams and Toby Poser. All three also star in the movie along with Zelda's older sister Lulu Adams. It's a horror film about a teenage girl whose mother keeps her isolated to hide the dark secrets of the family's linage. Zelda and her mom Toby are both very good in the lead roles. If you like smart independent horror, then check out Hellbender.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=62194031

Pather Panchali - (1955)

This was great, and a reminder (if on a bit of a tangent) that I should really check out more Italian Neorealism stuff (which served as an inspiration.) Simply the struggles of a poor family in India, which doesn't necessarily just focus on Apu, for whom a trilogy of which this is the first follows. It was the aged "Aunty" that tugged at my heartstrings the most - the overworked matriarch of the family badmouths and nags her to the point where she leaves - and when she tries to return she's rejected. I thought she deserved love and respect, nice and kind as she was. All together we have a mother, father, their daughter and son Apu - along with the aforementioned Aunt. Apu's father is a writer, which gets him nowhere, and he has to take on menial jobs just so they can survive, which they barely do. Life is harsh and full of sadness, but there are also rare moments of joy. By the end tragedies have taken their toll, but to recount them would be to spoil the film for anyone reading. Once you get to know them the poignant moments really hit hard - and those moments are very real and down to earth. I'll catch the other films in the Apu series in the coming days.

8.5/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 77/100

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Drive My Car (Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021)
6.5/10

Famous actor/director Hidetoshi Nishijima withdraws from life after his wife unexpectedly dies. He later returns when he gets a residency in Hiroshima to direct "Uncle Vanya" and encounters some people with a literal and psychic connection to him and his wife.
Underrating total masterpieces. Typical mark.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

DON'T LOOK UP
(2021, McKay)

"We really did have everything, didn't we? I mean, when you think about it."

Don't Look Up follows two astronomers (Jennifer Lawrence and Leonardo DiCaprio) that discover a comet headed towards Earth, a "planet killer". As they try to alert everyone, they are surprisingly met with apathy and indifference, from President Janie Orlean (Meryl Streep) down to the media and the general public.

Much like the issues it tries to tackle, there seems to be no middle ground with it. You're either on board with it, or you're not. I happen to fall in the former category. McKay does throw everything AND the kitchen sink at us, but I think the lack of subtlety works for what he wanted to transmit. I can say I spent most of the film laughing or chuckling at all the things, institutions, trends, and whatnot that they make fun of.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Delightful movie from Iceland based on a true story. Really enjoyed it.

Side Street - 1950 noir directed Anthony Mann. There's also a first rate helping of police procedural to it. Farley Granger stars as young father to be Joe Norson. His gas station business has recently folded and he and his pregnant wife Ellen (Cathy O'Donnell) are forced to live with her parents. He wants things for his wife that he can't afford as a part time mail carrier and this, in turn, leads him to a fateful decision.

WARNING: spoilers below
During his delivery rounds he notices two one hundred dollar bills on the floor of shady lawyer Victor Backett's (Edmon Ryan) office. He also sees Backett's thuggish associate Georgie Garsell (James Craig) put them in a lockbox and then inside a file cabinet. Thinking that this would pay for a private room for his wife's delivery and finding the office unlocked and unoccupied the following day he jimmies the cabinet. In a panic stricken moment he takes an accordion folder that turns out to have not the 200 dollars he was expecting but 30,000 dollars. It's the windfall from a blackmail scheme that Backett, Garsell and Lucille Colner (Adele Jergens) had run on wealthy financier Emil Lorrison (Paul Harvey). Joe hides the folder on a rooftop, wraps the money as a package and tells Ellen that he's found a job out of town. He then leaves the package with his bartender friend Nick Drumman (Edwin Max). The discovery of Lucille Colner's body in the East River and the birth of Joe's son triggers a series of ever escalating events that ends up putting Joe's life in peril from both the authorities and the murderous Garsell and Backett.

This was an effective thriller with NYC locations playing an essential role in the story and included one of the earliest car chases captured on film that I can ever recall. It was also Mann's farewell to noirs before turning his attention to directing a string of impressive and classic Westerns. Granger and O'Donnell worked well together and this was the second (and final) movie starring the two released within a year. The other being the just as impressive They Live By Night. The rest of the supporting cast is just as good with Paul Kelly as lead detective Captain Walter Anderson, veteran character actor Charles McGraw as the other investigator, Detective Stanley Simon and, that's right, the inimitable Whit Bissell as skittish bank teller Harold Simpsen.

This has a bit of a hard edge to it with Mann not the least bit squeamish about showing the offhand viciousness of the blackmailers. These don't come off as just random victims. There's an immediacy to the bodies piling up and that's a testament to the director's storytelling. Pretty decent noir and a noteworthy farewell to the genre for Mann.

83/100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Seance on a Wet Afternoon (Bryan Forbes, 1964)
- 7/10
Cross of the Seven Jewels (Eddy Endolf [Marco Antonio Andolfi], 1987)
4/10
The Last Bus (Gillies MacKinnon, 2021)
5.5/10
The Goddess (John Cromwell, 1958)
6/10

In what amounts to a fictionalized biography of Marilyn Monroe written by Paddy Chayevsky, Kim Stanley plays an always popular party girl/actress who suffers from a form of mental illness and a love-hate relationship with Hollywood.
Dangerous Years (Arthur Pierson, 1947)
5/10
Viva Las Vegas (George Sidney, 1964)
5.5/10
White Afro (Akosua Adoma Owusu, 2019)
5/10
A Fairy Tale After All (Erik Peter Carlson, 2022)
6/10

Teenager Emily Shenaut is magically transformed into a fantasy kingdom complete with heroes, villains and all kinds of mystical creatures.
Eastern Condors (Sammo Hung, 1987)
5.5/10
Finding Carlos (Lance McDaniel, 2022)
+ 5/10
Yakuza Apocalypse: The Great War of the Underworld (Takashi Miike, 2015)
5.5/10
Mr. Bachmann and His Class (Maria Speth, 2021)
6.5/10

Dieter Bachmann is the favorite teacher of his students, many immigrants, who makes rhem feel comfortable at school and teaches them about Germany's horrific past.
A Week in Paradise (Philippe Martinez, 2022)
5/10
The Pink Jungle (Delbert Mann, 1968)
5.5/10
Supercool (Teppo Airaksinen, 2021)
+ 5/10
Hellbender (3 Directors, 2021)
6/10

Sheltered teenager Zelda Adams eventually learns about her family roots and what a hellbender really is and decides she really likes it.
I Could Never Be Your Woman (Amy Heckerling, 2007)
6/10
Let's Kill Uncle (William Castle, 1966)
5/10
No Exit (Damien Power, 2022)
5.5/10
West Side Story (Steven Spielberg, 2021)
+ 7.5/10

"America" is sung and danced on the city streets in this version.

Studio 666 (2022)

I expected this to be campy and odd, and it's certainly both. There just aren't really any elements that were done extremely well. It's fun to see the Foo Fighters do a movie, but it's a full-fledged B-movie.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

This was a good watch and great to see Cushing and Lee together. I do love my Sherlock films on rainy afternoons Guy Ritchie can FO!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Fat City - 1972 boxing drama directed by John Huston and adapted from Leonard Gardner's 1969 novel. It stars Stacy Keach as Billy Tully, never more than a run-of-the-mill fighter now scrabbling to earn a living. Feeling motivated he makes a half-hearted attempt at training where he runs across into 18 year old Ernie Munger (Jeff Bridges). After sparring with him Billy realizes that Ernie is a natural so he gives him the name of his former trainer Ruben (Nicholas Colasanto).

Even though it does have a definite "A Star is Born" vibe it follows a different narrative path than alot of sports movies. There aren't the usual manufactured towering highs or crushing lows to help the viewer out. The victories are small and virtually indistinguishable from everything else going on. The lows are just a little more acute than the perpetual disappointments of these characters lives. And through it all there's Ruben and his unwavering "look on the bright side" take on his fighter's bouts.

Even though their trajectories are apparently moving in different directions Billy and Ernie share similarities when it comes to their personal lives. Saddled with drinking issues Billy has hooked up with pugnacious alcoholic Oma (70's mainstay Susan Tyrell) while Ernie has gotten his young girlfriend Faye (Candy Clark) pregnant. Filmed in the seedier parts of Stockton, California and peopled with current and former professional boxers the film does have an unmistakable authenticity to it. But it's about as far from rousing as you can get though. It's like the anti-Rocky. But Huston does excel at these kinds of "guy" movies. Hard luck types chasing illusory success.

80/100

I gave this movie a 10/10, and Stacy Keach's acting a 10/10. Surprised more haven't seen it, considering John Huston directed it.

Find Me Guilty, 2006

In this courtroom drama/comedy, Jackie DiNorscio (Vin Diesel) is rounded up as part of a sprawling prosecution of mob activity in New York. Fed up with his lawyer, Jackie decides to represent himself in a case that includes dozens of defendants. Getting the occasional piece of advice from actual lawyer Ben (Peter Dinklage) and increasingly drawing the ire of prosecutor Kierney (Linus Roache), Jackie puts on a show in the courtroom under the eye of Judge Finestein (Ron Silver).

When discussing the jury, who seem to be charmed by Jackie's affable schmuck routine, Linus Roache's prosecutor finally blurts out "What is wrong with these people?!". This is, it must be said, how I felt for a lot of this film. There are some parts that work out really well, but I also spent a lot of time frustrated or disgusted with what I was seeing.

There is a lot going for this film. The performances are strong across the board, with Vin Diesel putting in a really solid lead turn as Jackie, a man who (the film would have us believe) has a lot of emotion hidden under his tough guy exterior. Dinklage gives a lot of charm to his own character, someone who could easily have just been a legal-exposition delivery system.

I also thought that the film made some interesting points about hypocrisy. Kierney repeatedly refers to the defendants (in private) as "the Guineas." When Jackie is shot by his cousin in the very beginning of the film, he is shamed for not turning in his assailant. But when Jackie is later brutally beaten by three prison guards, no one really asks any questions.

Finally, the broader comedy of having a trial that include so many defendants gets some good laughs. In one scene, one of the men has a heart attack. Days later he is wheeled into the courtroom in a hospital bed, lifted over a barrier by his co-defendants. As we watch, the trial stretches to the two-year mark, that time counter alone functioning as a kind of brutal joke on the jurors and the men whose fates hang in limbo.

But I do have to say that at a certain point, it felt like the film was overexerting itself a bit too much on Jackie's behalf. Conveniently, we are not shown his crimes, which at the very least involve coordinating a large number of drug deals, and at worst include violence. In fact, we conveniently do not see ANY violence on screen except that from characters we are meant to dislike: the abusive guards, and Jackie's junkie turncoat cousin. It is obvious---or at least very strongly implied---that the men are very much guilty of drug running, fraud, and even murder. But this is all kept off screen because it would detract from getting laughs out of Jackie's amateur lawyer routine. It's not as cute when you remember that it's in service of exonerating killers and drug dealers.

I also had a very mixed reaction to the scenes of Jackie charming the jury. I mean, I guess. I found him incredibly off-putting, telling crude jokes, making homophobic jokes, and so on. Watching the jury yuk it up like they were at the best stand-up comedy show ever was just confusing.

Finally, I don't really care for "fake IQ" moments in film. Think about when someone shows they are "smart" by reciting something from memory. That's not intelligence, it's memorization. Similarly, there were parts in the film where lawyers were supposedly scoring points on the prosecution witnesses that were just dumb. In one part, an FBI agent mis-attributes a quote. Dinklage's lawyer calls him out on this, then goes on to say that if he made a mistake about a quote, couldn't he have made a mistake about everything? Um, WUT?! We see that the agent has meticulous notes, photographs, audio tapes, and multiple other pieces of evidence that clearly do NOT rely on distant memory. Yet everyone nods along as if misremembering a quote and failing to identify a license in a PHOTOGRAPH are similar types of mistakes one could make.

There are some fine qualities to parts of this film, but I found that in bending over backwards to generate goodwill towards its central lug, it overstepped and ended up trying to make inexcusable criminal activity likable. This film would never ask us to cheer for the leering prison guard who creepily propositions Jackie's ex-wife, so why is it asking us to root for a group of violent drug dealers?