Asthmatic killer movie 1970s

Tools    

I'm trying to find this thriller movie I saw on broadcast tv in the mid to late 70s. Here's what I remember:

A killer is hunting down and killing a series of people. I think he might have been hired to eliminate people who knew too much about a factory/lab/business, but I'm not sure about that. He was relentless in his pursuit of these people. There were a lot of point of view shots where he's watching his victims from afar while stalking them. During these scenes, you hear his heavy breathing. I'm not totally sure if he really had asthma or if the sound effect was just so extreme that that's what it sounded like to my family and me, but in my memory, he really did have asthma. I think that's why this aspect of the movie stood out -- because it was part of the story.

A standout scene was the final confrontation where he's trying to kill this young woman who I guess was the main character. She's fighting him in an area that I think was a narrow walkway of some sort -- maybe a "bridge" between two areas, the kind of walkway that might exist in an indoor industrial environment, or an elevated gallery of some sort (like the railed area of the Enterprise where Uhura and Spock sit). Basically, a fairly narrow area. Somehow she knocks him out, and we think he's dead. She's talking to some other people who have arrived, and then we see behind her, the killer slowly gets up to come after her again. I know this happens in a lot of movies, but this scene was distinctive because he didn't jump up suddenly. He got up rather slowly, and it was a nifty effect because it wasn't blatantly obvious, then suddenly you realize what's going on.

At the time, I thought the actor playing the killer looked like Alan Arkin, though I'm pretty sure I knew at the time that it wasn't him. I'm not sure if the actor just resembled Arkin, or if I just thought that because he was dressed similar to the way Arkin dressed in Wait Until Dark, which I had seen around the same time. I checked both his and Adam Arkin's filmography, and I couldn't find anything that I could recognize as this film.

At the time, I'm pretty sure that I hadn't heard of this film, and neither had my parents who watched it with me, so I don't think it was a well-known film. I think it was probably made in the early 70s, or possibly the late 60s. If it helps at all, I believe this was shown in a time slot where every week there was a not-very-famous thriller movie. I think it was shown at 8pm on Monday night on either channel 9 or 11 in the NY area.

Thanks in advance!

Your heavy breathing killer makes me think of Experiment in Terror (1962), though none of the rest matches.

Another non-perfect match is Cat O'Nine Tails (matches the industrial/factory/secret motivation element)

Not much, unfortunately. I want to say he shot them from afar sniper-style, but I'm not sure if I really remember that or if it just fits what I do remember, which is that he spent a lot of time watching the victims from a distance. I'm not sure if he killed them all the same way, either. I don't think he ran around like a lunatic, though. I think he was pretty methodical.

I'm pretty sure he killed a few people, but ultimately it just came down to this one person. She was, from what I can remember, a fairly young woman. The final confrontation took place in an industrial-type of place, or a lab, maybe a warehouse. For some reason, I want to say that it had something to do with the space program or maybe something sci/tech, but I'm really not sure about that at all.

The strongest memories I have are that I thought he looked like Arkin -- either his face or the way he was dressed; the heavy breathing you hear when you're seeing from his pov; and the slow way he got up in the background after you think he's dead.

At the time, I had already seen a number of films that had the heavy breathing and also the killer-isn't-really-dead moments, but this film handled both a little differently.

Thinking about it now, I might have actually seen this in the early 80s, because that would have been after I saw other films like Friday the 13th or whatever -- other movies with moments like that.

I'm sorry I can't come up with much more right now. I'll keep trying to remember more.

Thank you!

Your heavy breathing killer makes me think of Experiment in Terror (1962), though none of the rest matches.

Another non-perfect match is Cat O'Nine Tails (matches the industrial/factory/secret motivation element)

Takoma,
Both are great films, but I'm sure neither one is it. Thank you, though!

I didn't remember he had asthma in Experiment in Terror. This makes me question whether the killer in my movie actually had asthma or if that's just what someone in my family had commented. Argh!

Takoma,
Both are great films, but I'm sure neither one is it. Thank you, though!

I didn't remember he had asthma in Experiment in Terror. This makes me question whether the killer in my movie actually had asthma or if that's just what someone in my family had commented. Argh!
I feel like a lot of horror/thrillers in the 70s/80s had that really heavy POV breathing as killers stalked their victims.

Just stating what I think is the obvious, but this was an American film? In English?

I feel like a lot of horror/thrillers in the 70s/80s had that really heavy POV breathing as killers stalked their victims.
Yes, I totally agree. But this one stood out for some reason. I thought it was because they incorporated the breathing into the story by making him an asthmatic. But I guess it's possible that we/I/my parents were being sarcastic and were just saying it sounded like he had asthma (sorry, no offense to anyone with asthma, if a sarcastic comment was made, it was to make fun of the movie, not the condition).

Just stating what I think is the obvious, but this was an American film? In English?
Yes, American, English language, color.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yes, I totally agree. But this one stood out for some reason. I thought it was because they incorporated the breathing into the story by making him an asthmatic. But I guess it's possible that we/I/my parents were being sarcastic and were just saying it sounded like he had asthma (sorry, no offense to anyone with asthma, if a sarcastic comment was made, it was to make fun of the movie, not the condition).

Yes, American, English language, color.

This probably isn't it, but it's a horror movie spoof and part of the comedy is that the killer breathes very heavy throughout the movie.

Student Bodies (1981)

Here's the trailer for the movie:

The killing scene is alot like in Blow Out, with John Lithgow. Its from 1981. Nancy Allen fights him of, then he grabs her after that. But its not in an industry area, she is standing over a 4th of July party or something. I dont remember how he stalked the once he killed.

This probably isn't it, but it's a horror movie spoof and part of the comedy is that the killer breathes very heavy throughout the movie.

Student Bodies (1981)

Here's the trailer for the movie:

I really don't think this is it -- nothing in the trailer looks familiar at all. I'll look for a full version, though. If I can see the end, I'll know for sure. Thanks!

Also, I didn't think to mention this specifically, but in the movie I'm looking for, you see who the killer is. It's not like you only see his hand or his foot, or whatever, until the big reveal. I'm pretty sure you see him all along

The killing scene is alot like in Blow Out, with John Lithgow. Its from 1981. Nancy Allen fights him of, then he grabs her after that. But its not in an industry area, she is standing over a 4th of July party or something. I dont remember how he stalked the once he killed.

I will check it out. Thanks.

Probably not Blowout, actually -- that was a big movie, and I would have recognized John Travolta for sure, and probably Nancy Allen too. Also, I think it's not old enough. But I will give it a look.

I've verified that the film I'm looking for is not Blow Out.

I haven't been able to find Student Bodies in its entirety yet, but I feel pretty confident that that's not the film either.

Thank you for the suggestions!

The film I saw was mainly a suspense/thriller type of movie. I don't remember if there was a mystery going on -- I think we see the killer all along, so it's not like a whodunnit. There might have been a mystery as to why people/the woman were being targeted -- maybe we didn't know exactly why or who was behind it -- but I'm not sure.

Also, I think the killer never spoke at all during the film (or spoke very little).

And I can't be certain if this, but when I try to remember what the killer looked like, I picture him as dressing in black, with possibly a black cap and possibly black sunglasses. If he did wear glasses, that might have been why I thought he looked like Arkin:
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0062467/m...ontext=default

Also, these were two other movies I remember seeing in the same time slot as this other movie (for about one or two months, the channel that showed my searched-for film also showed a mystery/thriller/suspense movie every week in that same slot):

"The Man Who Haunted Himself"
and
A film where a couple is having problems, then the husband has a car accident after which they reconcile, but then it turns out that
WARNING: spoilers below
all of the action after the accident was really taking place in the husband's mind right before he died
-- this might have been "The Things of Life".

Update

I looked into a few films, here's what it's not:

Blow Out
Experiment in Terror
Maniac (1963)
Maniac (1980)
Halloween
Wait Until Dark
The Dorm that Dripped Blood

Update:

So evidently, what I remember is not one movie but actually a mashup of two movies -- one of which I've identified! And it is...

"Night Drive" aka "Night Terror", a 1977 made-for-tv movie starring Valerie Harper and Richard Romanus. Romanus relentlessly tries to hunt down and kill Valerie because he thinks she saw him kill someone, he hardly speaks throughout the movie because he has a throat injury that causes him to use a voice box amplifier thing, and he looks occasionally like Alan Arkin:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0076457/m.../rm1074854401/

However, even though he was doing a hit, there was no series of murders, no industrial setting, no final walkway/hallway confrontation, and no false death at the end (spoiler - sorry!).

So all the other stuff was in the other film which still remains a mystery. I'll add that the killer in the unidentified film probably didn't actually have asthma -- I'm thinking that's just something someone in my family said the person sounded like, and we just started calling this the movie with the asthmatic killer.

So I'll modify my original description to be a late 60s/early 70s movie with a killer/hitman killing a series of people that had something to do with a business/factory/government lab, with lots of killer POV shots accompanied by extreme heavy breathing, and the final one-on-one final confrontation scene with false death described above.

I don't have a lot of hopes for this. But if someone should ever come across it -- thanks in advance!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Definitely not, but thank you for the suggestion!

Oh, yes yes! I see -- thank you! That's very much what it sounded like, too!