The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The 3 hour version of Fanny and Alexander is the only one of the four films which I've seen. Here's what I wrote on it a while ago:

I recently saw the 3 hour version of Fanny and Alexander, but after looking up what other people thought of it, I feel like the 5 hour version is the one which I probably should've watched. Is that true? Regardless, I still enjoyed this version a great deal due to its representations of how reality always surfaces behind fantasy and how every joy is balanced by hardship. Even the seemingly playful, extended Christmas celebration near the start of the film often cuts to hints that tragedy is drawing near if you pay close attention to it. Although minimal plot progression happens for the first hour of the film, this choice makes it feel strangely absorbing as there's the constant, looming threat that all the life bursting out of that sequence won't last much longer. After this act, the visual and sound design changed throughout the film to give it a somewhat eerie and nightmarish tone such as how the set design changed from vivid to lifeless and barren, how the music became spare during certain sections of the film, and the brief moments where the film focused on a clock ticking. This dreamlike quality continues on into the final act of the film to produce one of the most overwhelming and thought-provoking sequences I've seen in a while since, due to the various set pieces and the characters encountered throughout it, so much of it feels like one long dream itself, even more so than anything which comes before it. As a whole, this blend of intricate set design, music, and lack thereof makes for a constant bombardment on the audience which never lets up and causes you to feel just as welcomed and isolated as the characters do. As great as it is, I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that Fanny was basically a noncharacter, but this is the only aspect which I wasn't sold on. Everything else about the film is so great and I could see myself revisiting this one again.

I considered voting for Harakiri and if I'd remembered it better or if I'd rewatched it, it might have made my ballot. But it did not. I've seen Let the Right One In twice and twice I didn't really care for it.

I haven't seen the other two, though Bergman did make my ballot.

Just guessed the wrong Bergman, that's all.
I was going to guess Harikari but couldn’t come up with three others. The world will never know.

I like Let the Right One In plenty but it was not a contender for my ballot.

The Lives of Others and Fanny and Alexander are good but not what I hoped for.

6. Pather Panchali (#47)
8. Children of Paradise (#58)
9. The Skin I Live In (#92)
10. Contempt (#71)
11. Harakiri (#37)
14. Sundays and Cybele (#73)
16. Samurai Rebellion (#79)
24. Three Colors: Red (#54)
25. High and Low (#41)

Seen three of the four: Let The Right One In, The Lives Of Others and Harakiri. All good, the last named was closest to making my list. Not seen Fanny & Alexander.

Seen: 46/64 (Own: 29/64)

Starting to think up to 11 from my ballot either definitely won't or possibly might not make an appearance

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
36. Angst (1983)
35. Nuovo Cinema Paradiso [Cinema Paradiso] (1988)

Let the Right One in is my number 20!

This thrilling film about young love and its complications benefits from following its own path and its Swedish backdrop. There's some fascinating scenes set in the local pool and in a local hospital. I'm being vague as to avoid spoilers because it benefits the most the less you know going in.

I've heard great things about Fanny and Alexander, The Lives of Others and Harakiri. Just need to watch them.

Harakiri was my #21. This is the second time I am using this word to describe an old Japanese film, but it is just a beautiful moral parable. I love how the story unfolds, and the cinematography is fantastic. If I could have chosen them together I would have picked The Human Condition. This is a great great film.

Fanny And Alexander is outstanding. My second watch will be the full TV version but I haven’t watched that yet. Here comes the Bergman train…hopefully.

Let The Right One In and The Lives Of Others are both good movies but I don’t love them and they weren’t anywhere near my list.

Watched War And Peace over the last few nights. Great film, I think it would have made my list. The cinematography is unbelievable. Gotta be top 5 best long king movies ever.

Caught up and at 100% on films watched again. Would love a couple more surprises, just lay off the seven hour flicks mofo.

YES! Let the Right One In is the best vampire movie I've ever seen! It didn't make my list but it's still flawless.

I only had time for the three-hour cut of Fanny and Alexander. It was good but a bit underwhelming.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't know you were doing four today...
You broke it, Keyser!! You broke it all!!!

Nice bunch. I like Let the Right One In quite a bit, but it didn't make my list.

I had both The Lives of Others and Harakiri on my list (#18 and #11). I think both are great. Here are my Letterboxd reviews for each (here and here).

Haven't seen Fanny and Alexander.

My Summary:

Seen: 23/64
My list: 5/25

My List  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
0/4 for me although I recommend them all.

I know some people here think most of what I write next is crap but whatever. When people say Let the Right One In is not a horror film or a vampire film, I have to respectfully disagree. Likewise, when people get hung up on the sex of one of the main characters, I believe they're missing the point. Apparently in the novel, there is a description of something which happens to Ely (Lina Leandersson) which somehow affects her on a basic level, but that description is nowhere to be found in the film. True, the film does have one brief moment where Ely's new friend Oskar (Kåre Hedebrant) does see a small patch of protruding pubic hair but nothing resembling anything more than hair. When Ely warns Oskar that she's "not a girl", I took that to be the truth for she's much older than any girl Oskar's age. Even though the film is semi-blood-soaked, the heart and soul of it is the tentative, but tender relationship between two outsider loners who are allowed to feel comfortable with themselves while spending time with each other. The snowbound Swedish landscape is also an important "character" in the film. Allegedly, the title of this film comes from a Morrissey song about letting the right one into your heart, but I prefer to extend that to let the right vampire into your home so that being can get in and stay in your heart. One of the best horrors of the 2000s.

Fanny and Alexander is a solid Bergman family epic with some great technical aspects and some very disturbing images mixed in with the joy.

The Lives of Others is one of the better films of the 2000s where the lead spy character may have a change of heart over the things he has always done so gleefully in the past.

Harakiri is a well-acted, well-photographed samurai film with a twist and a big ending.

Two crackers there in Let The Right One In and The Lives Of Others. Seen both twice, I think (though not since around the time of release) and still think well of them. Personally I prefer The Lives Of Others even though the other is more 'my kind of thing'. Would definitely recommend both and, if I had made a list, I think the latter might've made it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Oh boy, what a backlog!

Nakadai listening to MoFos claiming Mifune is the better actor.

Toshiro Mifune on the set of Yojimbo

Yojimbo is a very entertaining Kurosawa film that was ripped off multiple times. Leone actually had to pay Kurosawa for making his A Fistful of Dollars just a little bit too similar to Yojimbo. Starring two masters of Japanese cinema, Toshiro Mifune and Tatsuya Nakadai, the film is simply badass! Extremely accessible, too. Hard to think it might flow over somebody's head.

High and Low is a total masterpiece! Again, the duo of Mifune and Nakadai brings acting of the highest order to the table! Actually, I like Nakadai more and think that he outdid Mifune in this one, too. You can learn so much from this film, especially as far as blocking goes. Kurosawa excelled at thoughtful blocking, and you can find his blocking inspires the next generations of filmmakers, from Yoji Yamada to Johnnie To.

I didn't like Let the Right One In and don't necessarily feel like rewatching it.

Fanny and Alexander is probably Bergman's best (that or Persona) but unquestionably Bergman's magnum opus and defining work. Meant to be his last will and last film, Bergman couldn't stop making movies and still made some movies afterward. But still, you can treat it as his last word. And oh boy, is there a lot to unpack. Needless to say, you ought to watch the 5h TV version!

The Lives of Others is a good albeit slightly overrated film.

Harakiri is Kobayashi's second-best right after his Human Condition trilogy but sometimes I think it's his best period. Add to this, one of Nakadai's best performances (which automatically makes it one of the best performances of all time) and excellent cinematography and you got yourselves a true masterpiece. I NEED TO REWATCH IT PLEASE MAKE SOMEBODY TIE ME UP AND FORCE ME TO REWATCH IT CLOCKWORK ORANGE STYLE (WOULD APPRECIATE IF THE TYING PARTY WAS AN ASIAN GIRL KTHXBYE)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
Fanny and Alexander was my #18. Definitely one of the best Bergman films (if not the best) - will get around to the TV version one of these days but the theatrical version is still an excellent three-ish hours.

Harakiri was my #20. Maybe the Human Condition trilogy is the better Kobayashi work overall, but trying to decide which one/s to vote for was too tough so this was the easy pick.

I've seen Let the Right One In a couple of times and still find it one of the better 21st-century horrors out there, but I didn't vote for it.

I've seen The Lives of Others once and remember liking it. I've been meaning to get back to it to see how it holds up.

I had Let the Right One In at #10. It might be the film on my list I've seen the most times, including originally in the theater, which made it feel like a great discovery since I hadn't heard much about it. The American remake isn't quite a total disaster, but all the story's nuance and subtly were stripped away. I considered The Lives of Others. The other two I haven't seen. I love Bergman, but I really don't like Autumn Sonata or Cries and Whispers, and Fanny and Alexander struck me as being similar to those, so I've never checked it out. I really ought to give it a chance though.

My List:
4. Playtime (#45)
7. Three Colours: Red (#54)
9. High and Low (#41)
10. Let the Right One In (#40)
12. The Wages of Fear (#67)
14. Diabolique (#69)
23. A Man Escaped (#60)
24. Le Trou (#81)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Saw Yojimbo, Hara-Kiri, and one other movie that will appear later back-to-back-to-back. It was part of the Fists and Fury festival at Seattle Cinerama.

Some of the audience members obviously hadn't watched Hara-Kiri before and weren't aware of how bloody it is.

Then I came home and Tacitus and I had to delete over 10,000 threads (not an exaggeration) on Movie Forums. It made for a long day. Good times!

It's been quite a while since I posted here. Seen only ten of the previous million films (I've seen less of these than I expected, but I guess I'm more into the genre movies).

Run Lola Run was kinda hip when it came out, and I couldn't prevent myself from seeing it. I do remember quite a bit of running and red-headed Lola being hot. The Virgin Spring is probably the second-best Bergman I've seen (and I much prefer it over the crappy Craven remake). Nausicaa was watchable anime, but I was somewhat put off by the preachy tone. Incendies is a quite good thriller with some amazingly beautiful cinematography.

War and Peace almost made my list. If the director hadn't starred in the film, it may have even made it. Memories of Murder I don't remember too clearly, but I think it was OK (at least). Yojimbo and High and Low are both good. I'm not a complete sucker for Kurosawa but I generally like his films (there may even be one on my ballot). Harakiri is one of those classics I don't really get. It has a couple of great shots but nothing else.

Did I skip one? Oh yeah, Let the Right One In was my #1. I've seen it multiple times and read the book once. The best vampire film ever made. Just pretend that one quick shot doesn't exist and it's pretty much perfect.

Seen 18/64
My Votes:
1. Let the Right One In (2008) [#40]
7. Fireworks (1997) [#78]
14. Sundays and Cybele (1962) [#73]
19. Battle Royale (2000) [#74]
25. Eight Deadly Shots (1972) [1-pointer]

Fanny and Alexander....Not seen it.

Let the Right One In....Seen it in the 17th HoF, it was Pahak's nom. I liked some aspects of it but horror ain't my bag.

Harakiri...Seen it in the Personal Recommendation I, Cricket chose it for me. I liked it a lot, but no vote.

The Lives of Others
...Seen it in the 9th HoF it was Neiba's nom, I liked it pretty well, no votes though.

I forgot the opening line.
Let the Right One In is an excellent film, but it couldn't quite find a way on to my list.

I've been meaning to watch Fanny and Alexander for years now, and when I do finally get to see it I'll know there will be angst over which version to see.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
33/56

-La Strada - my #2 of all-time.
-The Battle of Algiers - 10/10
-Le Trou - 9/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-A Man Escaped - 8/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Close-Up- 8/10 -
-Pather Panchali- 8/10
-Tokyo Story - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Harakari - 7.5/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-The Celebration- 7/10
-The Lives of Others - 7/10.. Overrated. Too many people know about this movie, but don't know about "The Ear' *Ucho) which is a more realistic and natural movie, which was also made in 1970, but banned for 20 years. Just a better movie in general. I wonder how I'd think about "The Lives of Others" since I saw it right after it came out, only been a movie fan for less than a decade.
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Z - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10
-Le Haine - 4/10