C'est Cinéma: The Profound Impact of the European Masters

Tools    

C'est Cinéma

NOTE: The following is not a review or an argument, but merely a person reflection. Please keep that in mind as you read it. It's nothing but a page from a student filmmaker's diary and should be pretty much treated accordingly.

Why is it that we, as an audience, are much more willing to accept the unmotivated actions of society's upper-crust than we are those of its lower-depths? Why is it that when an aristocrat acts irresponsibly, it's just "something that happens," but when we commoners misbehave, we automatically go hunting for reasons why? Can it really be that in the decadence of wealth, the rich misbehave because they're bored and simply able to?

This is not the central idea or theme of either Michelangelo Antonioni's L'Avventura (1960) or Luis Buñuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972), but it's still a valid question that both films happen to raise. It's also something that I find rather intriguing personally. For a long while now, I've had a project developing inside my head in which a group of mature, sensible adults begin a string of affairs with one another's partners, which was always sort of hindered by the fact that there seemed to be no real reasoning behind any of the character's actions. But the thing is, my story was based on factual events that were taking place in my own life until just recently – and there was no logic or reason to support the actions there either. Ironically, I had an "unrealistic" story to tell and it was based entirely on reality. But that's okay. Films like these, I now realise, have their valid place in the world – they exist and they're out there.

The greatest lessons I've learnt this semester have been taught by the masters of post-war European cinema – particularly Godard and Fellini, but also Antonioni, Buñuel, Truffaut, Bergman, De Sica and Tarkovsky. Their films are speaking to me on a level that no other films have before – not only in terms of style, but in terms of content, philosophy and theory as well. The impact of Godard's Bande à part (1964) upon me, for example, is not merely tantamount to the impact that, say, Magnolia (1999) had upon me eighteen months ago, but it far, far, far exceeds it. My second viewing of Fellini's 8 ½ (1963) effectively changed my life.

In her acceptance speech at this year's Oscars, Sofia Coppola actually went as far as to thank all "the filmmakers whose movies inspired me when I was writing this script," before citing a list of names that included both Antonioni and Godard. Our tastes, it seems, are strikingly similar. As I told Austin yesterday, I really want Film No. 2 to have "a sort of Lance Accord feel," which translates, for me, into a style that's borderline documentary and decidedly "in the moment". It's a style that I think has been mastered in recent years by Steven Soderbergh, but which can be traced back, as far as I'm concerned, to Raoul Coutard. The style I'm talking about is at its most strikingly effective – subtly suggestive as opposed to blatantly obvious – in Godard's The Little Soldier (1960).

Anyway, now I'm just getting obscure because I like to think it makes me sound smart [and I know it does anything but]. The fact of the matter is that for the first time in my life, I'm experiencing a sort of cinema that's generally more cerebral than it is visceral – simplistically put [and perhaps overly so], that's more European than it is American.

It's having a real impact on who I am, what I want to do and, most importantly, a profound impact – perhaps even its most profound – on just how I want to do it.

I must become Caligari..!
I have just only statred watching the films you are talking about and the ones i have seen i really enjoyed. , Rififi was before its time, Jules and Jim was near perfect and Umberto D. was fine art.

I have alot of troble finding alot of films over here in Perth but that should be help by a freind of mine who is sending me over some DVDs from the states where he lives.

I plan on watching Diabolique with in the next few days.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Hondo333
Rififi was before its time
The director of Rififi was an American, Jules Dassin.

He was labeled as a communist in the fifties forcing him to move to France.

Loved the ending of Rififi.

Rififi (d. Jules Dassin, 1955) can still be considered a French film, despite Dassin's nationality. Not only does it sit, historically speaking, more comfortably with that period of French cinema than it does with that of America, it's also, you know, in French.

Meanwhile, the best thing about Rififi is the near-silent execution of the heist sequence itself and the whole film is a wonderful precursor to Jean-Pierre Melville's masterful Le Cercle Rouge (1970).

Originally Posted by Loner
The director of Rififi was an American, Jules Dassin.

He was labeled as a communist in the fifties forcing him to move to France.

Loved the ending of Rififi.
Yes i am/was aware of that,

But would you consider MI:2 or Master and Commander or The Truman Show american films???... Yes.

Rififi is a french film.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Meanwhile, the best thing about Rififi is the near-silent execution of the heist sequence

Rififi is a french film.
I never said it wasn't.

Originally Posted by Loner
I never said it wasn't.
Ohh ok, so you where just telling me about Dassin incase i didnt know?

Silver, within the last year or so, your writing has really blossomed. I am happy that you have been introduced to some of the European masters.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Travis_Bickle
Silver, within the last year or so, your writing has really blossomed.
Just like his boobs. Our little girl is growing up!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Meanwhile, the best thing about Rififi is the near-silent execution of the heist sequence itself and the whole film is a wonderful precursor to Jean-Pierre Melville's masterful Le Cercle Rouge (1970).
I finally got to see Le Cercle Rouge today.

I've watched two of Jean-Pierre Melville's other films Bob Le Flambeur and Le Samouraï.

When Le Samouraï comes out on DVD, I'm buying.

I know cool is an extremely overused word.

But Jean-Pierre Melville makes the coolest movies I've ever seen.

Any suggestions on some of his other films?

Ohh ok, so you where just telling me about Dassin incase i didnt know?
Yes, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass.