Django Unchained

→ in
Tools    

Django Unchained Hugely Overrated?

I just want to know does anybody else here feel that Django Unchained is scored way too highly? I know I'm opening myself to a wave of abuse by broaching this subject.
I feel its scoring on IMDb is ridiculous and if some others feel that way too, I'll probably attempt an in-depth review.
I just had to ask this question, because Django Unchained currently has a score of 8.6/10 on IMDb with over 300, 000 voters. Which in truth on IMDb is an earth shattering, masterpiece rating. To give you an idea here's some films Django Unchained is rated better than in no particular order.

Django Unchained Scored Better Than All Of These!

1. The Shining
  2. Vertigo
  3. Alien
  4. North By Northwest
  5. Citizen Kane
  6. To Kill A Mockingbird
  7. For A Few Dollars More
  8. Heat
  9. Gladiator
  10. Lawrence of Arabia
  11. Cinema Paradiso
  12. Sin City
  13. Braveheart
  14. Scarface
  15. Unforgiven
  16. Taxi Driver
  17. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  18. Grave Of The Fireflies
  19. Reservoir Dogs
  20. Oldboy
  21. Singin' In The Rain
  22. Bicycle Thieves
  23. The Third Man
  24. A Clockwork Orange
  25. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Okay I think I've listed enough, those are just some of the films. I honestly could easily have picked twenty-five different examples. I realise that scores are subjective and I'm not denying Django Unchained has merit but the fact it's rated better than all of these, I must admit does frustrate me.

Perhaps Django Unchained is a prime example of how the youth today take a good film and elevate it to ludicrous heights. Am I the only one surprised at how highly it's rated? If you have seen the film please leave your thoughts and score it out of ten.
I completely agree. I found the film fun but had little else. It had no second layer, or deeper message. It had no message on slavery, and nothing on life in the south.

First of all IMDB should never be used as a true reflection of a film's quality, it will always differ from various other opinions such as actual critics list, but I'd say it's a pretty fair reflection of what people enjoy, and when I ask myself what director's body of work have I found myself enjoying the most, is the most fun, and I would most want to watch? It would probably be Tarantino.

Films don't have to have an underlying or deeper complex meaning to what's on the surface, most people watch films to be entertained and you can not disagree that Django Unchained does this.

Also take a look at its metacritic rating: 81. This would translate to 8.1 on IMDB so mean that critics and ordinary viewers only differ by 0.5 points and if you average them both out you get 8.35 or rounding up, 8.4, a pretty good score.

I personally loved Django Unchained and think it's deserving of such a high rating by the way.

I just had to ask this question, because Django Unchained currently has a score of 8.6/10 on IMDb with over 300, 000 voters. Which in truth on IMDb is an earth shattering, masterpiece rating.
Earth Shattering? Masterpiece? I would have to disagree with how you're assessing these IMDB scores, most of the top scorers are overrated as a result of ordinary viewing tastes, people like to be entertained and enjoy films, is The Shawshank Redemption worthy of 9.2? Probably not, is it a really good film? Yes.

I would actually say that some of your favourite films fit in to the overrated IMDB category, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, Avengers. Inception currently sits at 8.7 which makes it the 14th highest rated film, now I really like Inception and think it's a great entertaining film which many disagree with me on but don't think it's the 14th best film of all time, but I definitely understand why it's on IMDB such.

Basically: Take IMDB ratings with a pinch of salt, they're not fact but a decent reflection of films people actually enjoy, Django Unchained in my opinion is a great and highly enjoyable film.

I'd say you also have to take into account just how new Django is. As time goes by and more people have had a chance to watch and review it, the rating will likely drop down some. New, popular films always seem to have high ratings.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I completely agree. I found the film fun but had little else. It had no second layer, or deeper message. It had no message on slavery, and nothing on life in the south.
"If you want to send a message, use Western Union." - Sam Goldwyn

I personally think Django Unchained is a stylistic masterpiece. Tarantino always knows how to struck me with his way of filmmaking. His films are just so cool and entertaining (he only failed in Death Proof, in my opinion, which only had a couple of good moments). Django Unchained is certainly one of his best films, in my opinion.
I also liked the dialogue a lot and the characters/performances were just perfect! It was pure electricity on screen!

This is probably my favorite movie of the decade so far (that I've seen, obviously).

Wait. What? Were you actually expecting a deeper message? Have you never seen a Tarantino movie before?!

Hi guys, I enjoy watching movies and I thought that I might try my hand at writing a review of Django Unchained. I am just looking for feedback and would appreciate anything you guys have to say.

Django Unchained (2012) is a Western Adventure movie directed by Quentin Tarantino with a cast that could easily fill a Hollywood A-List function single-handedly. It is done in normal Tarantino style with a lot of blood and gore, but a good strong story to back it up. It follows the story of Dr King Schultz who is looking for the Brittle brothers. He buys Django off the slavers and uses him to track down the brothers. When they do kill them, Django tells his story about how he and his wife got separated. Dr Schultz feels he owes Django something, so they go after Broomhilda, Django’s wife. Their quest leads them across the country in search of Broomhilda.

The first thing that you notice about Django Unchained is the sound track. It starts off with your cliché western soundtrack over the 1970esque opening credits, but soon moves into music that make the awesome scenes that much more awesomer. With songs from Rick Ross, Jamie Foxx and John Legend, you know that the soundtrack will be on par with the movie.

Before they meet Calvin Candie the movie seems to be holding back on the usual Quentin Tarantino blood and gore, which in my opinion is a good thing. But I knew it couldn’t be like this for much longer and boy, did it not. The first stomach churning thing that you see is two black males fighting to the death, while the rich white men stand around cheering them on. There is something about two men fighting to the death for entertainment that doesn’t feel humanly right to be watching that kind of stuff.

Even though Django is the main character in this movie, I couldn’t help but find Dr Schultz to be a more likable character and one with a better attitude. A good example of this is when they are in the bar, he knows that black people aren’t allowed in saloons, but does he care? Not one bit. It is this trait that sets him apart from Django as Django doesn’t want to speak up about anything as he has been taught not to. Even though Jamie Foxx plays Django as he should be, in my opinion, the main protagonist should be the most likable character.

This brings us to Stephen, Candie’s head slave. Even though Calvin Candie is portrayed as the antagonist, Stephen knows something is up and doesn’t like Django one bit. There is something about him that just screams bad guy. He is never shown happy and he uses the ‘N’ word in a more aggressive way than anyone else in the movie.

Apparently Will Smith turned down the role of Stephen, and in my opinion, he wouldn’t have done the character justice compared to what Samuel L. Jackson did. Calvin Candie is the last main character that really influenced the movie. He wasn’t your run of the mill antagonist as he came across as a gentleman and was always courteous towards Django and Dr Schultz. This kind of added to the sinisterness of his character when he found out Django and Schultz’s plan.

In all the movies entirety I really enjoyed it. Some parts made me question the human race and why anyone would do things like that, but then you need to remember it’s a Tarantino movie so it was always going to be quite gruesome. As the movie goes on you really get into it and start liking Django as a character. The ending scenes are really kick-ass and I can almost guarantee that you will find yourself grinning at the end.

Looking pretty good matey, nice review. Welcome to the site.

One thing missing, is a rating. Maybe give it a personal mark out of 5, or a percentage etc to give your own actual rating.

Ok thanks for that

Welcome to the site, hope you stick around.

I enjoyed your review quite a bit, but I just want to point out some things about Django.

The first thing that you notice about Django Unchained is the sound track. It starts off with your cliché western soundtrack over the 1970esque opening credits, but soon moves into music that make the awesome scenes that much more awesomer.
That intro song was used in the original Django movie. Tarantino was paying homage to that by playing it. I personally enjoyed it, though. Then, like you said, Tarantino had some awesomer songs lined up throughout. Loved the soundtrack.

Even though Jamie Foxx plays Django as he should be, in my opinion, the main protagonist should be the most likable character.
Tough call, there. I find that a lot of supporting characters end up being more memorable than the protagonist. Schultz was definitely a great and memorable character, along with most of the cast.

Apparently Will Smith turned down the role of Stephen, and in my opinion, he wouldn’t have done the character justice compared to what Samuel L. Jackson did.
I believe Smith was called to play Django. But I agree, Sam Jackson and Foxx did their parts incredibly well. Even though I Love Will Smith, I can't see him replacing either of them now.

Once again, your review was a great and easy read, so thanks for sharing your opinion. I completely agree with you.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Ok, I'll take those points into account. Thanks for your feedback though.

Welcome aboard. Good review. I disagree with you concerning the Schultz and Django characters however. Remember Django stands to lose more than Schiltz by standing up to the man. I think you would agree that this becomes part of his story arc though. Schultz may be the better character in terms of entertainment. Django has the mory interesting story though, and that is what is essential to the film.

Good review for your first, actually, very good for your first. You mention Will Smith but as someone has said he turned down the role of Django for the reason you mentioned, although Foxx plays the role well he is not the 'main character' and Waltz steals the show, Smith wanted to be the main star and that's why he said no.

Glad to see you liked the film, I'm a big Tarantino fan and it was one of my favourite films of 2012

Cthulhu's Press Officer
Late to the game but finally got round to watching this (I know; I suck) and absolutely loved it. Definitely in my top 3 Tarantino films now. 5/5.

Great movie. Lived up to my expectations. Leo did an wonderful job in the movie, the trailer I thought would probably only show the best parts but I was surprised that I loved the entire movie.

I think Django unchained is one of the best in it's Genres. Stylistic movie with great music and the storytelling. But personally speaking I prefer movies that can convey some further meanings by possessing deeper layers.