The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I love Malkovich, Malkovich, Malkovich, MALKOVICH!!! but I didn't include it on my ballot. Same for Clue. I am one of the few humans who actually saw and enjoyed Clue during its all-too-brief theatrical run. I saw endings A and C. I would have gone back for the third ending but it was pulled from our area theaters before I had the chance. Happily it eventually flourished on cable and VHS.

Here is a link to a good article on the phenomenon...

"Something Terrible Has Happened Here": The Crazy Story of How Clue Went From Forgotten Flop To Cult Triumph

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's neck to neck once again lol

Have seen so far: 29
Have not seen so far: 29

Have not seen Being John Malkovich and Clue

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Being John Malkovich...Now that's one creative movie! I still think about that film from time to time, especially when I've been zombie tired for days and then I wonder why I feel like Malkovich did

Clue...A very funny movie that I rewatched in prep for this countdown. I didn't have room on my ballot for it but glad to see it make the countdown.

Wait, was Arsenic and Old Lace revealed on the Countdown earlier, or are you referring to something else? Wondering if I missed a few pages somewhere.

Not according to the index on the first page. I've seen people make guesses it was coming up, but that's it.

Alright, I've got a guess -
rauldc
by the The 100 comedy countdown list
In spot 43
with the movie, Clue

Is that how you play this game? I was a little unclear on the rules.

Wait, was Arsenic and Old Lace revealed on the Countdown earlier, or are you referring to something else? Wondering if I missed a few pages somewhere.
I can only guess they meant "early on" in Cary Grant's career? No Cary Grant movies have made the countdown. Yet. Of course he starred in MANY comedies in addition to Arsenic & Old Lace including Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, The Philadelphia Story, The Awful Truth, Charade, and over a dozen more. I'll set the over/under at three for how many show up in the collective top forty-two.

"Clue" has a clever premise of being a film based on a board game. Some bits work, some don't. Never really got " Being John Malkovich", I must not be hip enough.

Only three off my ballot so far...Thought I knew comedy.

The truth is in here
It was just a Mandela Effect from my side. I guess when people started talking about it and the early entries featuring some movies from the 40's I suddenly invented this canon in my head.

No ballot entries for me today. I considered Malkovich, but ultimately went a different route for Kaufman with my ballot (I guess a route that doesn't go along the Jersey Turnpike).

Clue is a movie I adored as a child, but only know it from the TV/VHS version of the combined three endings (which... seems like the funniest way to end the movie). Apparently popular with people my age (and younger), and often doesn't even register as a thing to most people some 5-10 years older than me (Holden apparently being an exception - who I think is 5-10 years older than me).

I haven't revisited it since my youth, and it didn't even cross my mind that it might show up on this list when people said they were going heavy on the 80s. So what a wild surprise. Good? Bad? I don't know, but that was a eye catcher of an entry this late.

I'm glad we didn't speculate in the preliminary thread on what might have shown up just because of curve balls like this.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
5. Being John Malkovich (1999)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
14. Playtime (1967)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)

I had Being John Malkovich at #5. It's a brilliant film and a superb comedy! And anyone that says different needs to...get a Clue! Yes, that will do just nicely.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

It was just a Mandela Effect from my side. I guess when people started talking about it and the early entries featuring some movies from the 40's I suddenly invented this canon in my head.
Blame Raul
I'll go Arsenic and Old Lace and Anchorman
I was surprised that Anchorman wasn't higher.

Hmmm. Looking at those points. Clue was on 8 lists with 131 points. That's a 16.375 average, which would be between 9th and 10th place as an average. It looks like the people who voted for Clue, really liked Clue.

There are lots of "that's not a comedy" contentions I'm sympathetic to, but man, Being John Malkovich has to be. Doesn't have to a comedy you find good of course, but it's just downright silly at points. There are many, many moments that have the same punchline cadence as a more conventional comedy and clearly has that aspiration.

The first time I watched Being John Malkovich, I was far more confused than I was amused. I spent the entire movie just repeating the words “What the f***?” to myself and had no idea what to think of it. But repeated viewings had me laughing my butt off over its absurdities and landed it squarely in my all time top ten movies, which of course guaranteed it a spot on my ballot for this. I had it at number 9.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen all of Clue.

My Ballot:
7. Tropic Thunder (#58)
9. Being John Malkovich (#44)
17. Heathers (#46)
23. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (#79)
25. Knick Knack (One Pointers)

Y'all are haters, Being John Malkovich is absolutely hilarious from the first scene

Don't know why I've always neglected watching Clue, I think I'd love it

My List:
4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
6. The Great Dictator (1940)
9. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
13. Being John Malkovich (1999)
14. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
17. The Kid (1921)
25. Scary Movie 4 (2006). (1 PTer)

Being John Malkovich is a weird quirky movie. Not one I’d have considered but it’s a damn fine film.

I loved Clue as a kid. Watching it now it’s more the nostalgia I get out of it than real laughs as it’s a little too goofy. “Communism is just a red herring.”

64. Clerks (1994)
I don't have a strong memory of it, but I think Clerks is fine?

63. Happy Gilmore (1996)
Not a Sandler guy, so I haven't seen this.

62. The In-Laws (1979)
Haven't seen.

61. It’s Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
I like this, but didn't consider it for my list.

60. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Same as above.

59. What’s Up, Doc? (1972)
Haven't seen.

58. Tropic Thunder (2008)
Haven't seen.

57. Spaceballs (1987)
This is also not the Mel Brooks I am looking for.

56. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
Not on my list, but classic stuff from Buster.

55. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
Not my John Hughes pick, but it's hard to imagine the list without it.

54. National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)
I just can't see myself enjoying this, but maybe I'll give a try someday.

53. Rushmore (1998)
I think I mentioned this one previously. My favorite Wes Anderson, everything afterward seems just a bit too precious (although I did really like The Grand Budapest Hotel). And I have a certain personal fondness for the film as it's partially based on my own high school (Anderson attended a similar prep school in Houston), so I get a sense of nostalgia from watching it that is probably not there for most people. This was my #23.

52. My Cousin Vinny (1992)
This is a fun and worthy entry, though I did not vote for it.

51. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
Didn't vote for this particular Steve Martin film, though I expect him to turn up later. A fun film that I have fond memories of seeing in the theater.

50. The Great Dictator (1940)
Toothbrush mustaches, man. No vote from me.

49. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
An absolute favorite of mine, but I didn't vote for it as, like others, I think of it mostly as a musical.

48. Playtime (1967)
Haven't seen.

47. Brazil (1985)
Great movie, but not quite "comedic" enough for me to put on my list.

46. Heathers (1989)
Haven't seen in so long I didn't consider it, but it's a classic black comedy.

45. Harold & Maude (1971)
Liked, but didn't consider.

44. Being John Malkovich (1999)
On of the great absurdist postmodern films. On my list at #18.

43. Clue (1985)
I've tried, but this just never clicks for me. It seems pretty popular, though!

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Being John Malkovich - During the 90's we were so obsessed by Malkovich that when they've announced a film containing his name in the title we went into ecstasies. The movie blew us out with its craziness though while watching it the first time, I was a bit disappointed that actually Cusack was at the center.
Well, I didn't consider it for this game.

Clue - never heard this film.

Top 100 seen 22/58.
(seen one pointers 4/42 • )
--
My list:
1. The Gold Rush (1925) [#83.]
5. The Kid (1921) [#88.]
7. One, Two, Three (1961) [#85.]