The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Hooray, finally another one from my ballot! It's Such a Beautiful Day is an absolute masterpiece and a 10/10. It was #17 on my ballot. The In Laws was good, an 8/10, but didn't make my ballot.
Alright, @crumbsroom where is it on your ballot? I've been holding my tongue wanting to ask. Because given how much it's been in your mind the past few months, if it's not in your top 5, let alone on it, I might need to pull my jaw up from the floor.

And I guess for anyone else who put it on their ballot (I'm strongly expecting @Iroquois has it on theirs as well), can you check your ballot and see if you selected the 2011 or 2012 version? I selected the 2012 option, but noticed both were on there. Since it was originally released in parts, and chapter three had the title the full film finally was referred to, I'm pretty sure 2011 was basically chapter 3.
When I saw the minimum points needed to make the list, I was pretty certain this going to make the countdown* barring the possibility of the year thing splitting crucial votes.

*: I was assumption feels very strong it's high on crumb's ballot, and it was... really high on mine.

I remember The In Laws being very popular when I was younger but haven't thought of it in years. My father used to watch it, not sure if I ever watched it all the way through. I'll have to call it a no.

Beautiful Day is not my thing but I enjoyed it once.

The In Laws: Is good, but I think I had it a bit over hyped as being one of the funniest movies ever made. While the first half, as it establishes the characters, seemed to be aligning itself for some comedy gold with the interplay between Falk and Arkin, the second half kind of lost me. I've long had an issue with a comedy slowly morphing towards something that is a little more action centric, and that's what happened here. I would have been just fine keeping the two leads cloistered in an apartment and aggravating eachother, instead of having them run around and get shot at and speed around in cars. Something about that stuff always dries up the laughs for me. With the exception of maybe Midnight Run, these two genres do not work together particularly well (not that In Laws would ever qualify as being an action film, but you can just smell some of those reflexes in there)

It's a Beautiful Day I can only assume was on my list, as it is one of the greatest films ever made, as well as one of the funniest if we try not to look too closely at the terror that lives at the films centre. I am actually surprised it made it on this list though, as it is kind of a niche thing, and even I struggled over how much of a comedy I actually consider it to be. But it couldn't be denied. It's just too good, too funny, too honest, too frightening, too weird for me not to have thrown in some points. And it looks like it was just enough to make it squeak past Happy Gilmore, which has to be some kind of victory.

I have never heard of It's Such a Beautiful Day, and I really never expected to be saying that at this point in the countdown, but here we are.
It has been talked about on this forum. Though, people say a lot of things on this forum.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...05#post2295705

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...54#post2296954

Two donuts for me on this batch...

Seen: 26/40

My ballot:  

Alright, @crumbsroom where is it on your ballot? I've been holding my tongue wanting to ask. Because given how much it's been in your mind the past few months, if it's not in your top 5, let alone on it, I might need to pull my jaw up from the floor.

And I guess for anyone else who put it on their ballot (I'm strongly expecting @Iroquois has it on theirs as well), can you check your ballot and see if you selected the 2011 or 2012 version? I selected the 2012 option, but noticed both were on there. Since it was originally released in parts, and chapter three had the title the full film finally was referred to, I'm pretty sure 2011 was basically chapter 3.
When I saw the minimum points needed to make the list, I was pretty certain this going to make the countdown* barring the possibility of the year thing splitting crucial votes.

*: I was assumption feels very strong it's high on crumb's ballot, and it was... really high on mine.

I just checked. Not on my ballot. Not even on my short list. I obviously completely forgot about it, which seems nearly impossible to imagine, but here we are. Once again my self inflicted brain damage is ruining my memory of all the things I love

If I had been smart enough to include it, I definitely wouldn't have put it top 5, as those movies have been an established lock for me, for decades. Probably would have been between 10-15. Which would have been nice to have it kicking even more dust up into Adam Sandler's eyes, but what can you do.

Maybe it was simply too good for me to limit to a comedy list. And that goodness would apply to all three parts at once. I love every second of it. It's one of the greatest things that has ever been. Just, apparently, not a top 25 comedy.

It's Such a Beautiful Day was #96 on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films list while the original The In-Laws has serpentined it's way onto its first MoFo List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I just checked. Not on my ballot. Not even on my short list. I obviously completely forgot about it, which seems nearly impossible to imagine, but here we are. Once again my self inflicted brain damage is ruining my memory of all the things I love

If I had been smart enough to include it, I definitely wouldn't have put it top 5, as those movies have been an established lock for me, for decades. Probably would have been between 10-15. Which would have been nice to have it kicking even more dust up into Adam Sandler's eyes, but what can you do.

Maybe it was simply too good for me to limit to a comedy list. And that goodness would apply to all three parts at once. I love every second of it. It's one of the greatest things that has ever been. Just, apparently, not a top 25 comedy.

I would say something, but my jaw is on the floor and can only get out some weird gurgling sounds.

I would say something, but my jaw is on the floor and can only get out some weird gurgling sounds.

I also apparently forgot Playtime, which I believe I put in my top 10 movies of all time.

And that one WAS on my short list, so go figure there.

Don't try and rationalize with this brain I found in a paperbag on the side of the road. I should have just kept walking.

I also apparently forgot Playtime, which I believe I put in my top 10 movies of all time.
Super bummed, it looks like it’s missing out.

Super bummed, it looks like it’s missing out.

Yeah, it probably isn't making it, is it?

I think my reasoning was, Playtime is a shoo-in, so let me consider this Step Brothers movie instead for a few more minutes.