The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ghostbusters and Galaxy Quest?
You really think Galaxy Quest has a chance at this point?
No, but I didn't think Office Space did either and you yourself just said you are expecting another "surprise".

So no, but yes. We will know shortly.

In my relatively short time on this forum I’ve participated in three of these countdowns: All Time Refresh, Best of the 2000s and this Comedy one. Shaun of the Dead was on my list for all three of those and made the countdown every time. ‘Nuff said,

By Grabthar’s hammer, 14! Galaxy Quest was on my list and I can’t say enough positive thing about it. More than just a parody of Trek it’s an examination of entertainment, geeks and fandom. Plus it’s ****ing hilarious and warm and sweet. Every actor shines in their roles, especially Rockwell’s “glorified extra” Guy (or maybe the plucky comic relief). “We have to get out of here before one of those things kills Guy.”

By Grabthar's hammer, what a cool surprise!
Never underestimate the power of sci-fi nerds on MoFo.
Galaxy Quest was my #21.

The Cornetto Trilogy is fun and highly entertaining all the way.
I have the trilogy in it's entirety at #40 on my list.

Seen 62/88
Ballot

"Galaxy Quest" was my #5. Best parody ever made in my opinion. So brilliantly written and beautifully cast. Rockwell and Rickman just kill in their roles.

Only had room for one comedy horror on my list. Sadly " Shaun of the Dead" wasn't it. Still hoping it shows up, if you "Pardon my French"...

Yeah, here we go! I'm expecting a bunch of my picks to start showing up and here are two of them. In general, the best parodies are the ones that most clearly embrace their source material. They may be poking fun at it, but with love. Two great examples of that here.

My #20, Shaun of the Dead, can (and does) function as a horror film even when it's pulling at the threads of the genre. It exuberantly embraces its roots while cheerfully mocking its conventions.

GalaxyQuest, my #9, does this with perhaps even more affection and joy, if that's possible. It's pretty clear that nobody loves Star Trek--and its attendant fandom (back in those halcyon days before the internet got hold of everything and ruined it)--more than the people who made this film. Looking back, it's kind of a perfect little coda to a time when loving something was more important than guarding it.

I love both of these movies, had room for neither on my ballot. Shaun of the Dead is my favorite of the Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg movies (though I probably prefer "Spaced" to all of them and I have a non-Pegg Edgar Wright flick on my ballot that isn't going to show). It was one of the last five or six I cut, figuring it didn't need my help. Glad to see it get so high. The world's greatest RomZomCom definitely deserves it.

Galaxy Quest is "Star Trek" meets ¡Three Amigos! and unlike Mel Brooks' toothless Spaceballs this one was clearly made by people who know and absolutely love Science Fiction. I works not only as a spoof but also a decent story with good effects. I didn't have Galaxy Quest on my short list but I am glad it made the collective. Even Tim Allen can't ruin it.

For any fan who hasn't seen it yet, the good documentary Never Surrender (2019) is available for free streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Galaxy Quest and Shaun of the Dead sit in my #3 and #6 spots, respectively. I struggled with my top 5 arrangement before bumping Shaun down by one, to wedge a nostalgic choice higher into my #2. That choice has no chance of making the list at this point, which is a shame. Such is life when sharing a community list with the likes of @rauldc14.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Thanks HP, I will look up "Never Surrender" this very day!

I've watched it three times. I get all misty-eyed each and every time.

Another donut for me today

I don't know why, but I never end up picking Shaun of the Dead when I'm scrolling through Netflix. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but never top of my list

Never heard of Galaxy Quest & that has to be the highest appearance on a MoFo list where I could say that

The world's first ZomCom definitely deserves it.
Not counting the Evil Dead movies (because they seem more demonic possession), I can think of at least two earlier zombie comedies. Though, maybe "ZomCom" refers to a specific niche of comedy (in which, at least one of them still definitely qualifies).

Not counting the Evil Dead movies (because they seem more demonic possession), I can think of at least two earlier zombie comedies. Though, maybe "ZomCom" refers to a specific niche of comedy (in which, at least one of them still definitely qualifies).
Romantic Comedy fused with a Zombie flick. ZomCom instead of RomCom. "RomZom" is what they used in their own marketing. Either way.

Shaun of the Dead: A movie that I was really excited to see given the buzz when it came out. I enjoyed it, but there was definitely a large gap between what I experienced and what everyone else experienced. There are other horror comedies with zombies that I enjoy a lot more.

Galaxy Quest: A movie that I was vaguely aware of when it came out but mostly ignored. In the past decade I realized it actually has a noticeable and enthusiastic fanbase (amongst people slightly older than me). I watched it. I enjoyed it. Again, there's just a gap in terms of level of enjoyment between me and other people. Side note/fun fact: if you're someone who listens to the podcast, Filmspotting, they use the Alan Rickman line as part of their rotation of intro sound clips for when they do massacre theater (up until "One more time."). So, I guess if there's anything I associate with the movie, it's those lines because they're the ones I hear every couple of weeks. Which I guess is a sort of affection. It didn't even cross my mind this would show up until Holden mentioned it a few days ago.

Was not expecting homework this late, especially homework starring Tim Allen. I’m not sure I have ever even seen Galaxy Quest mentioned here. I barely knew it existed. It was somewhere why in the back if my head hanging out with Pluto Nash.

Shaun Of The Dead was a lot of fun. It was a nice surprise for me because I hated Hot Fuzz. Wasn’t going to make my list. I like it though and figured it would be pretty high without me.

Romantic Comedy fused with a Zombie flick. ZomCom instead of RomCom. "RomZom" is what they used in their own marketing. Either way.

Oh, has to be a romantic comedy as well? I'd say Dead Alive probably still qualifies.

Was not expecting homework this late, especially homework starring Tim Allen. I’m not sure I have ever even seen Galaxy Quest mentioned here. I barely knew it existed. It was somewhere why in the back if my head hanging out with Pluto Nash.

To be fair, Allen IS Shatner in this romp.

Welcome to the human race...
Two votes. Wow, was that really four parodies in a row? Shaun of the Dead was my #12, one of the finer genre parodies in recent memory and still my pick for Wright's best (though his other Cornettos have their strengths - I'm less enthused about his other work). The Princess Bride was my #15, admittedly a bit of a nostalgia pick that could still drop off my list completely but has enough distinct moments to carry it through. The Naked Gun is fine enough, though I always felt like Airplane! was all I needed to scratch the itch for this particular variant of outlandish spoof. Galaxy Quest is a solid piece of work as well.

OH MY GOD Galaxy Quest! I've seen Galaxy Quest a million times, and if no one makes a show by the time I become famous (hopefully), I will.