9/11: The Movie?

Tools    

Well film fans, people here in Hollywood are a-buzz over whether or not to do a feature film on the events of Sept. 11, 2001; the day four commercial American airliners, filled with people, were hijacked and used as missiles. You know the story.

I am a patriotic American who was in shock, watching those events play out on live T.V.
That said, I also know that many other countries around the world suffer greater losses of life due to famine, government, and disease EVERYDAY. No movie plans about any of those.

Instead, the Hollywood think-tank is more concerned with Sept.11.

They want to make a movie about it but their not sure whose story they want to tell.

Here are the options they're considering:

1)Should they tell the story of the people inside the planes that crashed into the WTC?

2)Should they tell the story of flight 93, the plane in which passenegers overwhelmed the terrorists and crashed in rural Pennsylvania?

#)Or the story about the plane crashing into the Pentagon?

The majority big-wigs like storyline #2.

But the problem is every major player in Hollywood will want to take part if the project is green-lighted.
And with every family member of the 200 victims of flight 93 thinking their loved one was the key hero who started the revolt on the plane, there is no room for supporting parts, or the cliched one-dimensional expendible character.

Personally I'd like to see a movie about the terrrorists themselves, where they came from, how they did it, why they did it. But that movie wont made in this decade.

I'm interested in what you think about this.
Why do you think a movie should/should not be made about Sept.11th?

*note: "Yoda", "Silver Bullet" I'm eager to hear what you think.

To be perfectly honest, I just don't know. Technically it's a free country...people should definitely have the right to make such a movie if they wish. Will I see it, though? I'm undecided. I don't like the idea of it being made, but if it IS made, and the reviews hail it as a masterpiece, I think I'd probably go and see it. Otherwise, I'll likely abstain, as it appears to be a rather frivelous idea at first.

For me, personally, the timing is too close to the event. I'm still reeling from it all and I'm trying to make sense of how it escalated into the horror we were all witness to.

I think it's inevitable that a film will be made, it's part of history and it's a part of each of us and art does imitate life.

In March of 1989 I visited the wreckage of the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor. It got me interested in the sequence of events that lead to the attack/counterattack. I think 9/11 is as powerful an event as was Pearl Harbor. It's not as far reaching but the acts were perpretrated upon everyday citizens like you and I versus upon a military base. I've watched the vast majority of the films and TV shows (Baa-Baa Blacksheep) related to Pearl Harbor which was a time quite out of my reach.

I think a film on the subject could do much to help the understanding of the younger people who lived through the event (my kids school was shut down and the panic that ensued is something they will want to understand when they're older b/c surely they'll remember it).

If it's done well, and done respectfully I would pay to see it eventually.

If it's done like a "Die Hard" action film, then no.

"I can't help it..."
My friends & I have been discussing this heavily, and what we have come up with is that they should do a film about all of it.

Make a film that has all of these heroic & sad stories in one film.
Have the film set based on 9/11.
Not the people. But the day itself.

Personally i would be curious i believe that your idea is interesting and controversial approach to the subject, i would be all for it, but i agree with Toose the event is still to recent the shock of it hasnt died down yet, if you are planning on making a movie on it, than i would hold off for much longer, than make a movie on the day, i wouldnt recommend a movie about the terrorist themselves because so much is NOT known about their motives and their reasoning, it is hard to portray people in which you are just guessing their character from bias TV reports. A movie will be made, it is almost inevitable, but when will be the right time no one knows (there probably wont be a right time in my lifetime)

btw IF there was much known about the terrorists than by all means i would support it but without actually knowing the terrorists than any portraying of them would be bias and fake

bbtw i am tired and im not sure what i have just written so do not laugh or call me crazy i will be back later to read this and than delete it should i find it utter nonsense

Get off my island
The Tim Robbins/Susan Sarandon 9/11 movie sounds rubbish (no offence to anyone who thinks it sounds heartwarming)

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

seeing a movie about this, especially a big hollywood movie, gives me the creeps. here's hoping it won't happen.

I personally think that Hollywood needs to leave this alone… The events that took place on 9/11 and continue in its aftermath are too horrific to be cheapened by a fictional account on the big screen....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Get off my island
Originally posted by Caitlyn
I personally think that Hollywood needs to leave this alone… The events that took place on 9/11 and continue in its aftermath are too horrific to be cheapened by a fictional account on the big screen....
That's my thought too. Though perhaps a less money/event/audience-orientated project may work